Author Topic: What happened to Global Warming?  (Read 1967 times)

Desertdog

• friends
What happened to Global Warming?
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:03:24 AM »
2 Feet of Snow Falls on Western N.Y. Cheesy
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061013/D8KNNNOO1.html

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - A rare early October snowstorm left parts of the Great Lakes and Midwest blanketed with 2 feet of snow Friday morning, prompting widespread blackouts, closing schools and halting traffic.

The snow downed scores of tree limbs and toppled power lines, leaving more than 220,000 customers without electricity in western New York.

By early Friday, 14 inches of snow had been recorded at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, with reports of 2 feet elsewhere, said Tom Paone, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. The snowfall was expected to continue throughout the morning, he said.

On Thursday, 8.3 inches of heavy snow set the record for the "snowiest" October day in Buffalo in the 137-year history of the weather service, said meteorologist Tom Niziol. The previous record of 6 inches was set Oct. 31, 1917.

"This is an extremely rare event for this early in the season," Niziol said.

Detroit also set a record, its for the earliest measured snow. On Thursday, the city broke by one day the mark set on Oct. 13, 1909.

The weather, among other factors, prompted Major League Baseball to move up the start time of Game 3 of the AL championship from 8:19 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Only a few players practiced outdoors at Comerica Park on Thursday. The infield was covered with a tarp, so most of them hit in indoor cages.

"It's definitely not going to be baseball weather tomorrow," said Dave Gurney of the National Weather Service in Michigan. "Around 45 degrees, wind gusts up to 35 mph and some snow showers."

Meanwhile, a 105-mile stretch of the New York State Thruway from Rochester to Dunkirk, southwest of Buffalo, was closed Friday morning because of the snow.

The Buffalo Police Department received more than 3,000 calls late Thursday and about two-thirds were related to the weather, Lt. James Watkins said.

"There are power lines going down all over the place," he said.

Crews worked into the night to restore power, but many customers were expected to remain in the dark through the weekend and into next week, National Grid energy company spokesman Steve Brady said.

"This is extremely heavy snow and most of the trees still have most of their leaves, he said. "We can't do a complete damage assessment until the snow stops falling."

Dozens of schools were closed and states of emergency were declared in the City of Tonawanda, and towns of Cheektowaga, Elma, Lancaster, Akron, and Depew.

Unnecessary driving was banned in Buffalo and suburbs Amherst, Blasdell, Orchard Park and Hamburg.

"We have a condition where 80 percent of the roads are impassable," said Lt. Stephen McGonagle of the Amherst Police Department.

Officials said the snowstorm caused flight delays and cancellations at Buffalo's airport, which was shut down for almost two hours late Thursday.

Meanwhile, tree branches were strewn across the roads around the region. A large box maple tree split in half, falling on Joan Casey's home in Buffalo.

"The whole house shook," Casey said. "We were very afraid. Originally I thought it was just the thunder, and then I came outside and I couldn't believe it."

Related Stories;

Detroit sets record for its earliest snow, breaking mark set in 1909...
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061013/NEWS05/610130326/1007

Break out the wintertime gear
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061013/NEWS05/610130326/1007

Does this sound a little weird after reading the other headlines?

Climate change inaction will cost trillions: study
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyid=2006-10-13T141528Z_01_L11333993_RTRUKOC_0_US-ENVIRONMENT-CLIMATE.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:11:59 AM »
We had snow flurries yesterday, and its a bit cold out today.
I want this global warming thing to happen sooner. The lefties have been promising  global warming for the last several years now, I want them to hurry up! Darn liberals can't do anything right.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:24:04 AM »
Just came out - the libs want "Nuremburg" trials for "global warming deniers"...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 06:41:56 AM »
Hurricane season is pretty much over . . . as the global warming alamists kept telling us last year, Katrina and Rita were PROOF that global warming was real, things would continue to get worse for the USA, and 2006 would make 2005 look puny by comparison.

Now, just to be clear . . . exactly HOW many hurricanes hit the USA this year?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:32 AM »
Aha!  You have all just fallen for the corporatist, Bushitler, Halli-Cheney ruse!

See, falling temperatures are a sign of global warming!  Have you taken temperature reading from the cone of Mt St Helens?  Eh!? Eh!? I thought not, since it is still pretty hot there!

And if we input today's numbers in our super-technical climate models, we will all melt like those Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark by 2050!  (Of course, ANY numbers we input comes out saying we'll melt by 2050....)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:41:26 AM »
Just came out - the libs want "Nuremburg" trials for "global warming deniers"...
I plead guilty.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 08:06:33 AM »
Saw some greenwing teal and a white-faced ibis on the creek, back in early-mid September.  They musta known something, migrating through a month or so early.  That's indicative of an earlier and a cooler winter, quite possibly.

But there's no such thing as unendingly higher temperatures in all this warming.  Long-term trends are not straight lines.  We're gonna see cool spells and hotter spells and so on.  "One swallow doth not a summer make." as the poet feller said...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »
The global warming crowd will be quick to tell you that global warming is what will cause the next ice age.

No joke.

We're doomed.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
I dont buy the whole Global Warming deal myself. However, I would urge against using the argument that "the weather is doing all sorts of crazy stuff lately, ergo humanity is not impacting the weather." its a non-starter.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
The left is angry  they can't control the weather, they are after all
total control freaks.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 05:26:48 PM »
The left is angry  they can't control the weather,
They're angry that Halliburton controls the weather. Cheesy
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
Look up "little ice age" and "winter of 1815-16."

Damn right we're warming up, and none too soon.  It's not that the temperatures are rising above the norm, it's that we've been so cold for centuries.  We're only now getting back to the 1000AD temperatures.  If it doesn't hurry up, I won't be able to build my vacation house in Greenland.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:53:53 PM »
"If it doesn't hurry up, I won't be able to build my vacation house in Greenland".

It should be cheaper now than when it warms up.Cheesy

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 10:46:57 PM »
..can't wait for those P-38s and B-17s to unthaw.  Go GLobal Warming!!!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Re: What happened to Global Warming?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 09:55:28 PM »
I saw the Rolling Stones on Oct. 11 at Soldier Field in Chicago, in 35 degree weather, and I was wondering where the heck global warming was too!