Author Topic: Royals set dress code for visit  (Read 4702 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Royals set dress code for visit
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
The British Royal family has instructed U.S. media on the proper way to dress when in the presence of Prince William and Princess Kate during their visit next to the States.

... any news media, including media crew such as cameramen, wishing to be in their presence -- even on U.S. soil -- are required to wear formal attire.

"Smart attire for men includes the wearing of a jacket and tie, and for women a trouser or skirt suit," the palace insisted.

"Those wearing jeans or trainers will not be admitted and casually dressed members of the media will be turned away. This also applies to technicians."

Technicians include cameramen, sound mixers and the people who hold the boom microphones –- they are expected to wear a suit and tie.

Taking pictures "in the wrong places," walking backwards and texting have also been forbidden while in the presence of the Royals.

I hope that the technicians all hit up Goodwill for the sleaziest suits they can find, and then "press" them under a mattress over a spring frame.  Because I know that the 4th Estate will bend over backwards far enough to kiss their fundament in order to bring coverage of The Royals to the unwashed and washed masses.

Which leaves only The Big Question - will Obama bow lower to them than he did to the Saudi king or thhe Japanese Emperor?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Royals set dress code for visit
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
I hope that the technicians all hit up Goodwill for the sleaziest suits they can find, and then "press" them under a mattress over a spring frame.  Because I know that the 4th Estate will bend over backwards far enough to kiss their fundament in order to bring coverage of The Royals to the unwashed and washed masses.

Which leaves only The Big Question - will Obama bow lower to them than he did to the Saudi king or thhe Japanese Emperor?

stay safe.

Six years in office hasn't made him any more flexible, so I'll say no.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »
So I say don't cover them being here.  Who the hell really cares.

That family has gone more batshit crazy since Diana passed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
Just refer to them as Bill and Kate. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »

Oh, no.  We hates de English.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »

No, Billy Lou and Katie Beth.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »

The answer is no.

I'd hope they sent the dress code to President Obama as well, but that would likely be as useful as the briefings he ignores from his protocol officer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »

Sod 'em. But I know of a lot of people that really have a hankering for monarchy. We spent an incredible amount of time and effort to give the British royalty the finger. Title only at official state functions, Mr or Mrs at all other locations and places. Burn down Buckingham Palace if they get lippy.

*shrug*

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
I hope that the technicians all hit up Goodwill for the sleaziest suits they can find, and then "press" them under a mattress over a spring frame.

Haven't had a lot of luck with truly cheesy stuff at Goodwill lately.  OTOH, decent stuff has been reasonably easy.  Just picked up three jackets and a shirt for $23 Monday evening.  Guess we need a mass die-off of used car salesmen and third-rate lawyers.

If they were coming here, I might sacrifice my cream-colored wool suit to a tie-dye run.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 02:29:45 AM »

...plus eight?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
So I say don't cover them being here.  Who the hell really cares.

That family has gone more batshit crazy since Diana passed.

The coverage has gone batshit crazy anyways.  IMHO, the boys seem pretty grounded. 

I'm sure my fatass coworker will eat up the coverage, though.  She gets people, us and some other crap weekly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the outrage.

Does the white house not have a dress code for the press room? No shirt, No shoes, No questions?

I don't see why they can't tell the press that if they don't dress nice they won't be let in.

*shrug* if the media wants to hang out with royals then the media can follow royal protocol. It's not like the ones who typically deal with celebrities don't have to jump through hoops on an everyday basis anyway.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 09:32:24 AM »
The media has the idea that they are in charge
Hey they helped elect a president who can blame em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »
I know this doesn't directly address the topic, but it's interesting how many in the US seem to have some ill feelings toward the Royal Family.

Those ill feelings sometimes manifest themselves in rants about the British taxpayers paying for their lifestyles. This is where I find things to be interesting. The Brits pay a bit north of $50 million a year for the royal family's expenses: travel, clothing, housing, etc.

US taxpayers paid a bit over $400 million for personal travel, clothing, and other personal costs for GW Bush.

For Obama, taxpayers are shelling out over $1.4 billion.

The royal family are pikers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »
I don't wish the English royals ill . . . after all, this is 2014 and we Americans settled our relationship with the English crown a long time ago, back in 1776. (Though it took a few years to convince them we were serious.)

As far as I'm concerned, we can simply ignore them - they're irrelevant.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
I know this doesn't directly address the topic, but it's interesting how many in the US seem to have some ill feelings toward the Royal Family.

Those ill feelings sometimes manifest themselves in rants about the British taxpayers paying for their lifestyles. This is where I find things to be interesting. The Brits pay a bit north of $50 million a year for the royal family's expenses: travel, clothing, housing, etc.

US taxpayers paid a bit over $400 million for personal travel, clothing, and other personal costs for GW Bush.

For Obama, taxpayers are shelling out over $1.4 billion.

The royal family are pikers.

Just curious the comparison on a per-capita basis?  Also, if you added in the Brit PM what would that run the costs up to?
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 01:48:47 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the outrage.

Does the white house not have a dress code for the press room? No shirt, No shoes, No questions?

I don't see why they can't tell the press that if they don't dress nice they won't be let in.

*shrug* if the media wants to hang out with royals then the media can follow royal protocol. It's not like the ones who typically deal with celebrities don't have to jump through hoops on an everyday basis anyway.

Demanding that your plumber wear a jacket and tie while snaking out your blocked commode seems a bit overmuch.  I can see "the press" adhering to a dress code but considering some of the stuff the technicians lug around and deal with a jacket would get in the way.

No walking backwards?  Just to prevent anybody from getting ahead of (in front of) the royal personage?  It's all good with me if they want TVs filled with shots of their asses walking away.

The problem with the English royalty is they still think they are royal.  The Emperor of Japan knows that he no longer has the power to have someone beheaded because their shadow crossed his.  The King of Saudi Arabia knows that he does.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »
No, Billy Lou and Katie Beth.

Willie and Cat
7-11 was a part time job.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
Demanding that your plumber wear a jacket and tie while snaking out your blocked commode seems a bit overmuch.  I can see "the press" adhering to a dress code but considering some of the stuff the technicians lug around and deal with a jacket would get in the way.

No walking backwards?  Just to prevent anybody from getting ahead of (in front of) the royal personage?  It's all good with me if they want TVs filled with shots of their asses walking away.

The problem with the English royalty is they still think they are royal.  The Emperor of Japan knows that he no longer has the power to have someone beheaded because their shadow crossed his.  The King of Saudi Arabia knows that he does.

stay safe.

OK, first point. The walking backwards.

I'm betting that has more to do with over eager photographers, safety and the fact that his mother was essentially killed for the sake of a picture. Of all the people in the world, the British Royals have some reason to be a little over sensitive about how much they will tolerate in that respect.
Some idiot with a camera, walking backwards and paying no attention to what is behind him can cause problems. A herd of them amplifies the issue.
As a security problem, that's yet another crowd block a potential exit.
I doubt this has anything to do with royal ego and everything to do with the issues caused by photographers in a feeding frenzy.

As far as dress codes, their house, their rules. I'm pretty sure they know they cannot control this stuff if they are out in the public, but if they've got control over who can and cannot come in, well, yes, they can demand the plumber wear a tie and jacket.
The big difference between a plumber and the media is that the plumber is the service, the media is receiving a service. Being invited in to presence of the duke and duchess to take pictures and ask questions isn't exactly the same as being paid to come over and snake a drain.

Finally, since the Brits still pay for their royal family to be royal, well, than, they are. If the Brits want a pretty bunch of mascots for their country, that's their business. The fact that the American press wants pictures and interviews is because apparently, they can sell if. William and Kate could just say 'no, *expletive deleted*ck off', instead they're saying 'OK, and here are our ground rules'. So, the American press gets their paychecks and the Royals get a little publicity for whatever charity their hawking at the moment (BTW, you do know that's what they spend a good portion of their public image on, right?) and everyone wins.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:39:56 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
The Kansas City Royals have a lot of nerve asking for this kind of treatment.  :mad:

Just kidding. Actually, I hate the Brit royals because it is easier than practicing actual patriotism.  =)

I actually have no feeling about them, either way. I guess they can ask for whatever they want, but I can't say I understand why they would demand jackets and ties. I mean, if some guy's taking a picture of you, why would it matter if he's wearing jeans?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
The Kansas City Royals have a lot of nerve asking for this kind of treatment.  :mad:

Just kidding. Actually, I hate the Brit royals because it is easier than practicing actual patriotism.  =)

I actually have no feeling about them, either way. I guess they can ask for whatever they want, but I can't say I understand why they would demand jackets and ties. I mean, if some guy's taking a picture of you, why would it matter if he's wearing jeans?

I have no idea. Maybe they think if they demand those guys to dress up, it will remind them to shower and put on deodorant?
I do see the techs for the local news crews doing bits on the streets every so often, and, as a whole, they don't appear to be the most well groomed bunch...

Calumus

• friend

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
Step 1: Get a coat made out of the material that ESA guy had his shirt made out of.
Step 2: Get a picture taken with a privileged royal. (Preferably Kate)
Step 3: Watch SJW heads explode.

ETA: Trigger warning: White privilege, Royal Privilege, Skinny girl privilege, Patriarchy, Pretty Girls that might make you feel bad about yourself, Matriarchy, Sexism, The reminder that the EU's space program exist and is better than ours, bad fashion sense
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:00:48 PM by dogmush »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:55 PM »

wmnorr67 noted, with some truth:

That family has gone more batshit crazy since Diana passed."

Longer than that, I would guess.

I've long thought that Prince Harry would make a great King.  His reality-based education, military service, and general "pal-worthiness" would tend to drag merry old England out of the morass of effete political correctness it's in now.

But he's something like sixth in line for the Crown.

Yeah, I know the British Royalty is largely powerless, but I suspect that as a King, his "moral suasion" would do the trick.

As far as that "dress code" is concerned, I have no problem with it.  After all, would you like the waiters at your sister's wedding reception to be wearing tie-dyed tees and cargo shorts? 

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
wmnorr67 noted, with some truth:

Longer than that, I would guess.

I've long thought that Prince Harry would make a great King.  His reality-based education, military service, and general "pal-worthiness" would tend to drag merry old England out of the morass of effete political correctness it's in now.

But he's something like sixth in line for the Crown.

Yeah, I know the British Royalty is largely powerless, but I suspect that as a King, his "moral suasion" would do the trick.

As far as that "dress code" is concerned, I have no problem with it.  After all, would you like the waiters at your sister's wedding reception to be wearing tie-dyed tees and cargo shorts?  

Terry, 230RN

... William has the same education and he serves as a helicopter pilot. ???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2718691/Heir-Ambulance-Prince-William-job-999-helicopter-pilot-40-000-year-charity-paying-tax-like-rest-us.html

Harry just doesn't get as much attention, except when he gets all stupid, like when he was a teenager.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:53:18 PM by bluestarlizzard »