Author Topic: Feel Good Story of the Day!  (Read 1345 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Feel Good Story of the Day!
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-oxy-political-class-20141130-story.html

Students at Occidental College got full credit for working for political campaigns.

From the article:

In what is believed to be the only college program of its kind, the undergraduates in the Campaign Semester course spent at least 2 1/2 months, often seven days a week, 12 hours a day, working on behalf of candidates in contested states.

None won.

And in an absolutely AMAZING coincidence:

All of the students worked for Democratic candidates

Do read the whole article for all of the Schadenfreude.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Feel Good Story of the Day!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
"...but I do think it's become less democratic and it's difficult to get good people in office..."

A, it's not supposed to be a democracy, and B, that depends on your definition of "good."

In what is believed to be the only college program of its kind, the undergraduates in the Campaign Semester course spent at least 2 1/2 months, often seven days a week, 12 hours a day, working on behalf of candidates in contested states.

<snip>

Like all students, Kaminsky had to find her own housing; she stayed with another Udall staffer.

Oh, plenty of time to establish residency and register to vote in those contested areas.... and possibly additionally voting from  your home address as well as the school's address.

That's kind of a dirty little secret, though, so don't tell anyone about it. Shhhhhhh.

That's three votes to my one.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
Defeat?

Heck, can I get college credit doing Libertarian ballot petitioning?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
Experience is what you get when you do get what you want.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
Wish I'd had that opportunity in high school or college.

I could have done a LOT of good, infiltrating working for the campaign of a Democrat.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
BBBWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"It was devastating," Kaminsky said, especially since she realized that many of the other people she had been working with didn't know what they would do next. "Everyone was out of a job," she said.

Welcome to the real world !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »
"It was devastating," Kaminsky said, especially since she realized that many of the other people she had been working with didn't know what they would do next. "Everyone was out of a job," she said.

The simple fact that the result was "devastating" suggests that these alleged students did not approach the learning experience as a learning experience. And as for the other people being out of a job -- isn't that what's supposed to happen to workers in a political campaign once the election is over?

In addition to talking about the finer points of voter engagement and campaign donations, the students also talk about the more unsavory aspects of democracy: negative ads, doors slammed in your face and what it's like to live on pizza for weeks at a time. And, for this group, what it's like to feel depressed and cry after your candidate loses.

What, exactly, is "unsavory" about getting a door slammed in your face? In general (at least in my experience), one doesn't get a door slammed in one's face or get the phone hung up on one unless one is refusing to accept, "Sorry, I'm not interested" as a response, and one keeps badgering to other party until slamming the door or hanging up the phone is actually the best and least violent response they can or should expect.

"I don't think our representative government is broken, but I do think it's become less democratic and it's difficult to get good people in office," said Joshua Wodka, a fifth-year senior who worked for North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan and admits he still hasn't recovered from her loss. "I'm exhausted.… I'm annoyed.

How is that NOT broken?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
The simple fact that the result was "devastating" suggests that these alleged students did not approach the learning experience as a learning experience. And as for the other people being out of a job -- isn't that what's supposed to happen to workers in a political campaign once the election is over?

Bet most thought when their candidate won the election there would be jobs galore given to them as a reward.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!