Author Topic: Woods gun thoughts?  (Read 4866 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Woods gun thoughts?
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »
So I've been considering a gun for woods/hiking/carry hunting(sidearm use, not primary weapon). Thinking something more than my current line up of 9 mm would be better suited.

Keep in mind I'm in SC. We've got some black bear, pigs, a few scattered mountain lions, coyotes and feral dogs, two legged varmints, etc. I don't exactly need to fend off grizzlies and rampaging rabid moose here. And I'm NOT a fan of revolvers, I'd like an autoloader.

So what auto loading caliber works here? 10mm? Would 45 be sufficient?

Also to consider. Full size? Compact?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Woods gun thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
I'd say a Coonan in .357Mag http://coonaninc.com/ , but I am guessing you are not thinking of that pricepoint http://www.gunbroker.com/Coonan-357/Browse.aspx?Keywords=Coonan+357

Depending on what loading you use .45acp might be do-able.  Lighter/faster in JHP rather than heavier/slower in FMJ would probably be the direction to consider.  Some folks have sucessfully hunted hogs while afoot using .45acp.

You might want to check out www.ballisticsbytheinch.com to compare calibers/loads. 

9mm http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

vs.

.45acp http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

vs.

10mm http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

If you shoot anything will you be having a BBQ?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
Of course. Aside from perhaps long pig...

I want to keep it something reasonably available. I'm mainly debating if 45 is enough gun in an auto loader or if the step up to 10mm would really be waranted. If I was looking to use it as a hunting gun at any sort of range it'd be a simpler question. But I'm talking defensive use at I'd imagine closer ranges.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 07:06:42 PM »
I always felt a .45 adequate companion in the U.P. where there are cougar/bear/wolves, I kept it loaded with 200gr lswc loads. Never had to shoot anything with it though.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »
Might want to reconsider wheelguns. The Smith 329PD (AirLite 44 Mag) is a 25oz featherweight perfectly suited for backpacking. It won't add appreciable weight to your loadout but packs a mighty big whallop if large, toothed, growly things are breathing down your neck.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
I have, and those would pretty straight forward. But I just don't like revolvers all that much and would like to keep with a auto loader.

brimic

• friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »
I have, and those would pretty straight forward. But I just don't like revolvers all that much and would like to keep with a auto loader.
Admit it. You just want to justify a 10mm.   =D

Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »

10mm or .45 stoked with Buffalo Bore max nasty, then. About as good as you're going to get for Growly Mean Things unless you step into a wildcat like the .460 Rowland.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
Seems like for what you'll encounter, and your desire for a semi-auto, you're pretty much talkin' yourself into .45ACP or 10MM. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »
10mm or .45 stoked with Buffalo Bore max nasty, then. About as good as you're going to get for Growly Mean Things unless you step into a wildcat like the .460 Rowland.

Brad

Wut? You forgot the Deagle :P

Barack Obama

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Admit it. You just want to justify a 10mm.   =D
You aren't saying that like there's something wrong with that notion are you? lol

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
A suppressed SBR in .223, and a debarked Chihuahua.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 07:27:07 PM »
An S&W 1911 Sc stoked with Winchester Ranger T 230grain +P would be suitable.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Woods gun thoughts?
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
Seems like for what you'll encounter, and your desire for a semi-auto, you're pretty much talkin' yourself into .45ACP or 10MM. :)
More or less.

Just debating if 45 would be marginal enough and 10mm a better enough fit to justify the increased cost, size, and what not.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »
An S&W 1911 Sc stoked with Winchester Ranger T 230grain +P would be suitable.

That's what I do except Hornady CD or Gold Dots.  If it is wet I do my M&P45c instead with the same ammo.  I also have some BB 255gr hard casts but those drop like crazy so I'm not super confident in my ability to hit anything with them.  Need to practice more.

I kind of want a 10mm auto, but haven't totally talked myself into it yet.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
Glock 20, and you can get a Lone Wolf barrel/conversion to change it to almost anything else you'd want for cheaper shooting like 9mm, or to mess around with other calibers, .38 Super. 9x25, .357 Sig, .40, .400 Cor-Bon, ...

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »
Admit it. You just want to justify a 10mm.   =D

I was thinking the same thing. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 12:42:37 AM »
Assuming you go for 45...

For black bear I would think 230gr ball ammo would be better than all the fancy hp rounds mentioned. Penetration is what you need with a bruin.

Either that or a heavy lswc loaded hot.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 01:32:38 AM »
Bear have pretty heavy bones such that most auto-loader pistol bullets will be sketchy in terms of adequate penetration if you hit bone, and the way their skulls are raked can make head shots tricky to pull off effectively.  But the blackies aren't near as big or tough as a griz, so you don't really need .44mag+ power levels.  I'd probably lean towards to 10mm, or .460 Rowland or equivalent if bear is your main concern.  If 2-legged varmints, or the occasional coyote/feral dog or even cougar is a concern .45ACP (or even 9mm) would probably be my preference.  Coyotes/dogs and cougars are pretty thin-skinned and the bones aren't near the issue as with bears.  Lots of cougar hunters shoot the cats with .357 revolvers (and often smaller rounds) once treed by their dogs.  Coyotes are actually pretty small, usually a big one is 50lbs, and 35-40lbs is more typical.  Lots of feral dogs are a lot bigger, but even at 150lbs most dogs won't withstand even 9mm.

Bacon on the hoof is a different category.  The gristle plate can make even .308Win an unreliable stopper for the really big ones.
Formerly sumpnz

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 04:40:48 AM »
Glock 20, and you can get a Lone Wolf barrel/conversion to change it to almost anything else you'd want for cheaper shooting like 9mm, or to mess around with other calibers, .38 Super. 9x25, .357 Sig, .40, .400 Cor-Bon, ...

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

^^^This. Like the one I picked up last summer.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »
I live in Virginia so the critters I would deal with would be about the same.  I've always thought the 45 was enough for any likely task and ideal for most.  Revolvers are more my speed but even then I've carried a S&W in 45 ACP and been happy with the choice.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »
Wildey? More expensive than the Coonan suggested earlier. The Coonan's do sometimes require changing springs for different loadings, the Wildey has a gas adjustment. I actually own both, but rarely shoot either, and I would personally use a wheel gun for a woods gun.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »
So I've been considering a gun for woods/hiking/carry hunting(sidearm use, not primary weapon). Thinking something more than my current line up of 9 mm would be better suited.

Keep in mind I'm in SC. We've got some black bear, pigs, a few scattered mountain lions, coyotes and feral dogs, two legged varmints, etc. I don't exactly need to fend off grizzlies and rampaging rabid moose here. And I'm NOT a fan of revolvers, I'd like an autoloader.

So what auto loading caliber works here? 10mm? Would 45 be sufficient?

Also to consider. Full size? Compact?

Yep.  Excuse to get another gun.

full size or compact?  May as well get full size.  Not that much heavier or more unwieldy, and easier to shoot well.

Don't like revolvers?   Too bad.

XD45 Service or Tactical would be my thought.  Though, the Glock equivalent would be much more field-repairable.  Contemplate the .460 Rowland conversion, just for kicks.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
A .45 stoked with something heavy and solid will probably be just fine.  Buffalo Bore makes some deep penetrating ammo. (255 gr Hard Cast at 925fps)

From a guy that has actually shot at aggressive bears, even if dealing with a small black you'll be shooting "LEO style" (Shoot to slide lock while screaming in a command voice and backing away) >:D

That said: Excuse to get a new gun!!!!!  Do you have a stout .45?  You could put a .45 Super conversion in it. 230gr FMJ at 1100 FPS is a paddlin, anywhere.

I'm coming around on the 10mm round.  It's pretty cool and versatile.  My own 10mm project should be done by summer, but a Witness Hunter is a cool gun.  Also I see used Delta Elite's around FL for about $1000 pretty regularly.

.50 GI?  Pricey, but....yeah, 300gr bullets.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »
And I'm NOT a fan of revolvers, I'd like an autoloader.

I'm curious why? Is it just a preference?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536