Author Topic: Harvard Professor Getting Schooled  (Read 3533 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Harvard Professor Getting Schooled
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
http://www.boston.com/food-dining/restaurants/2014/12/09/harvard-business-school-professor-goes-war-over-worth-chinese-food/KfMaEhab6uUY1COCnTbrXP/story.html

Harvard professor gets panties in a wad over $4 and wants $12 back.

Hope the owner continues to hold out and wins this issue.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Harvard Professor Getting Schooled
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
I hope the prof wins.  I'm tired of bait and switch tactics with retailers.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
Different location management and website . I hope the proff orders lots more Chinese food. I would not eat anything he ordered however

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Not really bait and switch in this situation, is it?

More like pricing fraud.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
Not even that. There is a disclaimer on prices changing and he ordered from a web site for a different location

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
Not even that. There is a disclaimer on prices changing and he ordered from a web site for a different location

Doesn't a merchant who offers an online ordering option have an obligation to provide accurate pricing to customers? How is this materially different from a walk-in ordering from the print menu and then being told the price was higher only on receiving the check? "Sorry, we haven't had time or money to re-print the menu" doesn't seem an adequate response.

That said, I think Herr Professor is a Grade A [tinfoil].
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
If he had ordered from the website for the place he went to he might have a case. He ordered from a website for another location .

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 02:52:58 PM »
If he had ordered from the website for the place he went to he might have a case. He ordered from a website for another location .

How did the order get to the right location?  When I skimmed the article yesterday, I didn't see that it was two different locations.

Chris

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
I didn't skim the article. That makes a difference. Read their email exchange it's not that long. It also illustrates why I have a 3 or 4tier price structure for work

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
Evidently, they are "currently updating the menu". :facepalm:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Yea most places don't have a " web guy" and it shows

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »
Hell I work for a company based in Italy with several outlets worldwide, their own IT department and they can't even keep their web page up to date.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
How did the order get to the right location?  When I skimmed the article yesterday, I didn't see that it was two different locations.
I believe the order was placed by phone, the menu (and price list) were accessed via a website.  The site had phone numbers listed for both locations.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
I didn't skim the article. That makes a difference. Read their email exchange it's not that long. It also illustrates why I have a 3 or 4tier price structure for work

I went back and read it.  Seems they have multiple sites, one for each location, but post the contact info for all sites on each website.  The viewer is supposed to surmise that the menu is only for the site named in the URL, but not valid for the sites who's contact info is listed on those same pages.

Seems disingenuous and intentionally misleading to me. 

Lawyer is a jerk, but dishonest retailers gall me more.  Hell, I'd be tempted to make a sport of it too.  I also hate dishonest retailers who hide behind "woe is us, we don't understand this tech stuff" excuses. This isn't 1999 where a website is a novelty.  Websites advertising your services are damn near requirements and it is important to get it right.

Chris

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
Disclaimer is legal too

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »

If the disclaimer was visible, probably no case.
If the disclaimer was not visible, yes, it was pricing fraud.
Regardless of whether the disclaimer was visible or not visible, disingenuous and intentionally misleading.

I used to do web sites for folks, but pretty much shut that down. Folks didn't want to pay more than trivial money, didn't want to pay for continued support, did want continued support (without paying for it) and didn't want to provide timely content. Menu would be an example of timely content. Unless the client is willing to pay the web developer to visit in person and get the menu for themselves, there's zero way a web designer can pull that kind of info out of their fourth point of contact and put that information on the site.

Yes, businesses do use the excuse "Oh, we're not good with technology", but it's rarely an actual technology issue and moreso no one wants actually assemble the information.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 08:42:37 PM »

The bartender says there were separate menus for the two locations. The professor says otherwise, and claims to have screen shots to prove it.

I'll abstain for now, other than to comment that I hate businesses that charge higher prices than advertised and then try to hide behind a fine print box that says "Prices subject to change without notice." That's fine (well, sort of) for a company like Grainger's, that puts out a catalog once a year. It's not okay on a web site. Everything on the Internet is instant. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect prices on a take-out menu to be correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
The Harvard guy is just a Dick Head.  An overeducated Dick Head.  A Dick Head of monumental proportions.  A Dick Head that has never worked a day in his life except to harass a small businessman.

A non Dick Head would have brought the situation to the attention of the restaurant owner, got his 4 bucks in a credit the next time he came in.  Dick Head. [ar15] [ar15] [ar15]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »

A non Dick Head would have brought the situation to the attention of the restaurant owner, got his 4 bucks in a credit the next time he came in.  Dick Head. [ar15] [ar15] [ar15]

This.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:40:21 PM »
First, it sounds like the restaurant needs to just take the prices off the online menu. 

Am I understanding this right?  He sees prices on a website then calls in the order and doesn't get a total over the phone.  Then he picks up his food, pays for it without asking the price, and doesn't check the receipt.  Then he calls or emails to whine about it later?  It seems to me the time to object to the price was when he picked up the food. 

Every time I can remember phoning in an order and picking it up, I got a total over the phone, and saw the price when I paid.  We have ordered food for work a lot over the years.  We are usually ordering from old menus the guys have in a file.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »
What is the libertarian ideal for something like this?  Buyer beware and go public if you think you got cheated?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
What is the libertarian ideal for something like this?  Buyer beware and go public if you think you got cheated?

Depends. If this was intentional, it's technically fraud, and as fraud is against the Non-Aggression Principle, most minarchists will state that it's an appropriate use of government force (via civil suit) to rectify, provided you can't settle your dispute privately (and by privately, I mean without using government force - shaming the business using public condemnation would also fall into this category).

Anarchists would go the "buyer beware and go public" route. If the business has a history of this type of behavior, word will get out and their sales will suffer, eventually causing them to either change their behavior or go out of business.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »

Well, the courts are a valid option if a contract is being violated, and prices on a website are a contract offer. 

I think the libertarian ideal would be to give some sort of BB organization some teeth - check for BB accred for any business, they go after any that falsely show the symbol like rabid dogs, and work to ensure that any business they give the rating to are on the up-and-up.

In this case, make a report to the rating company, and they monitor that his website(s) are fixed expediently to show the correct prices and perhaps be adjusted somewhat in design to make it obvious which location the prices are good for.

But while websites are generally easier to update than print media, I'd offer them some of the same allowance I'd give with printed menus and such - something like the restaurant isn't allowed to show a history of immediately raising prices after releasing a menu, but it's assumed that prices may and probably will change.  Confirm with the order taker to be sure of the most accurate price.  If you're actually ordering and paying on line, the price at checkout needs to be accurate.