Author Topic: How can I make this happen on my smartphone?  (Read 1376 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
How can I make this happen on my smartphone?
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/smartphone-theft-epidemic-so-secure-yours-now

While 36 percent of smartphone owners secure their phone with a four-digit code, just 11 percent used a code longer than four digits, a password, or an unlock pattern; fully a third of those surveyed took none of the list security precautions at all.

.... While simple four-digit passcodes can help slow that process down, they are mathematically much easier to crack than longer, more complicated passcodes.

.... Were everybody to set a strong passcode on their devices—or were device makers to require users to set a passcode, rather than merely suggesting it—it would be considerably harder for thieves ....

My smartphone allows me to set a 4-digit PIN.  How can I move into the 11% with a more-than-4-digit PIN?  I can password protect some apps on my phone, but how can I add a password to turning on the phone?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
Re: How can I make this happen on my smartphone?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
Look under settings- there should be an encryption setting which requires a password every time you boot up or unlock your phone. I use the 'trace a pattern' setting on my phone, though I'm entirely sure how secure that method is.

FWIW, local gangs are robbing people for their cell phones- they can get money for them if they are locked down or not.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »
Mine has a fingerprint scanner. The back up code is long and annoying.

Judging by how touchy the scanner is, it should be pretty secure.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/smartphone-theft-epidemic-so-secure-yours-now

My smartphone allows me to set a 4-digit PIN.  How can I move into the 11% with a more-than-4-digit PIN?  I can password protect some apps on my phone, but how can I add a password to turning on the phone?

stay safe.

What kind of phone?

Sent from my iPhone
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
Mine has a fingerprint scanner. The back up code is long and annoying.

Judging by how touchy the scanner is, it should be pretty secure.

But the cops can make you scan your fingerprint.  It's not a "search".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 12:18:14 AM »
What kind of phone?

Sent from my iPhone

iPhone 5S running whatever the latest iteration of iOS is.

stay safe.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204060

turn off "simple passcode" and you can set a longer one
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
iPhone 5S running whatever the latest iteration of iOS is.

stay safe.

Settings/Touch ID & Passcode

Enter your current passcode

Toggle off Simple Passcode button

Sent from my iPhone
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »

Duh - I was too late.

Sent from my iPhone

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »
But the cops can make you scan your fingerprint.  It's not a "search".

stay safe.

citation?

Not that I don't believe you, but that's got to come from case law, and I'm interested in any nuance.

On a practical note, If my phone is in my hand, I can brick it.

ETA: Wasn't there a SC case a while back that the police can require you to unlock your laptop too?  I seem to recall something about laptops and ports of entry.  In either case, keeping .gov out of your smartphone is going to require a lot more then any of the embeded locking systems this thread was talking about.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:49:02 AM by dogmush »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »

Almost like I should have read the instructions.

Thanks.

stay safe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
Almost like I should have read the instructions.

Thanks.

stay safe.

Real men don't read instructions or ask for directions.

Sent from my iPhone

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
From here:  http://gizmodo.com/cops-can-make-you-fingerprint-unlock-your-phone-and-th-1653984192

Double-plus ungood.

stay safe.

That sucks, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

Cops can't search your (locked) phone without a warrant. (4A)  They can't make you unlock it for them in any fashion without a warrant. (4A supported by SCOTUS).  IF they get a warrant, then they get to take the phone and try all kinds of stuff, including using your fingerprints.  They can't make you spit out a passcode, because that's "testemony" and 5A protects you from incriminating yourself, whereas a fingerprint is not "testimony".

Any random LEO on a traffic stop fishing expidition can't force me to swipe my phone.  The correct answer would be "give me my phone back and get a warrant".  Then (in my case) turn off the phone.

The whole phone is encrypted, and it requires a long and annoying password (correcthorsebatterystaple) at startup.  I have to balance secure against thieves and pranksters, secure against .gov, and ease of daily use.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
Wasn't there something about setting say your index finger to unlock the phone, but you could set another finger to brick it?

I have nothing on my phone FWI.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods