Author Topic: How Do You Shift into First?  (Read 12736 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: How Do You Shift into First?
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but when I first looked at my current truck there was no one at the dealership that could drive a manual, and as I was leaving the sales manager came running out and asked me to park it in the back lot for them.  :facepalm:

That's too funny...did you ask for a fee to park it?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2014, 08:05:16 AM »
And you still haven't taken me for a ride in it, you tooluator.

You've ridden in it once.

The most important driving skill around N Virginia is to not live there or visit there.  To play the game is to lose.

True.  Unfortunately, I *want* to live in VA (Love the SW portion of the state, Wife's family is in VA, my family is nearby in NC).  My work means being in NoVA.  There aren't many openings for IT/Security in areas convenient to my family.

As for traffic in LA/NYC/DC Metro...

I've driven in all three. LA was a piece of cake.  NYC was stressful just because I was unfamiliar and Manhattan was crowded.  By the time I left, I was more comfortable with the experience.  DC's Beltway isn't too bad, just crowded, fast, and unpredictable.  Today you can get to your destination in 30min, tomorrow, it'll be 2 hours.  I commuted between Tyson's Corner and Manassas for 9 years.  It was a 25 mile drive one-way, yet took anywhere from 45min-4hrs.  Most of the time it was 1:00-1:15.

Back to manual transmissions...

I've gotten some good deals on cars in this area because they were manuals.  Seems nobody wants a 4cyl 5spd Camry, but for the price, I jumped on it.  Unfortunately, it was not up to normal Toyota standards, but that wasn't the fault of the manual transmission.  I still have the 5spd 4Runner I bought in 2002 (I drive it a couple times a month, yet it fires right up when I turn the key).

If I still have a 5spd when my daughters start driving, I'll teach them how to drive one.  I also taught my wife how to drive a manual transmission.  She really wanted that 4Runner I mentioned above, but didn't know how to drive it.  I taught her with my 5spd Paseo.  With its tiny engine, it was great as a teaching tool because it didn't tolerate poor technique.  The 4Runner was much more forgiving with its torquey engine.  After learning on the Paseo, she took to the 4Runner like it was nothing.  It became her daily driver for the next 8 years.  She's "over" manuals now, but can still drive one.

I'm "over" manuals too, but keep finding myself in one.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 08:13:01 AM »
My 88 f250 with the 300 6 cyl and the 5 speed with the granny is almost impossible to stall out. You can dump clutch at idle in 1st and she will buck a lil but go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »
"You've ridden in it once."

It must have been while eating a big of bowl of "The Dessert of Mystery," because I sure as hell don't remember it.

"The most important driving skill around N Virginia is to not live there or visit there.  To play the game is to lose."

I wouldn't go that far, as long as you have some flexibility in your schedule. Were I to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. where I am now, I'd be completely screwed on traffic. But, given that I can be at my desk at 6 a.m. and leave by 2:30-3 p.m., I'm able to miss traffic both coming and going. I routinely do 70 MPH on I-66 in both directions, morning and evening.

I also take one look at my biweekly paycheck and know that I'm winning, not losing, the game. My salary would be dramatically lower anywhere else, and the house I've been in for 20 years wouldn't be worth roughly 3 to 4 times what I paid for it.

So, I would say that knowing HOW to play the game in Northern Virginia is the difference between winning, and being, well, you. :)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »
I've never driven in LA or NYC, but I did live for 3 years in Washington, and drove in the city regularly. Once you get used to how the spoke and wheel and grid pattern street overlays intersect, you can generally navigate fairly well.

I don't like driving on the beltway because I don't like driving in any kind of heavy traffic, but it's generally not that bad, except during the obvious times.

The most frustrating and frightening places I've ever driven have been New Jersey's Garden State Parkway, I-287 going towards Westchester County in New York (crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge is a nail biter for someone who doesn't like heights) and I-95 in New England.

As for what car I learned to drive stick on, that would have been a 1972 International Harvester Scout with a 3-speed on the floor. Thing was a complete pain in the ass.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Once you get used to,the traffic circles in dc and learn where the no fly zones are it's not too bad. I think Baltimore is worse.

New York I only drive in the middle of the night. I use cabs there

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
NYC isn't bad to drive in once you accept the "when in Rome" mantra and drive up onto the sidewalk like the rest of the cars in front of you.

Though the first time I noticed the Holland tunnel leaking I will admit it was slightly disconcerting.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
When I say I hate driving on LA freeways or the Beltway or whatever, it's not because I'm uncomfortable driving there, it's because I absolutely hate traffic. Especially rush hour traffic. Other than being extra aware for idiots, the driving itself is pretty straightforward, and as long as you know your interchanges and exits, you're okay. It can be a little hairy if you're going someplace new and hit a complicated interchange, because you often won't know exactly where to go until the last second, and then of course none of the idiots on the road will let you over, so sometimes it requires being as aggro as them (even though I hate doing that).

LA also is not super bad outside of main rush hours, though that timeframe seems to be greatly expanding to the point where all the rush hours are going to merge together into Rushnado. I've been able to do very early morning airport runs there without ever dropping below 60MPH. On the other hand, when I used to have to attend USCG meetings, which were held at the port or airport, always around 10AM, it was either sit through absolutely horrendous rush hour traffic at the 101 and 405 interchanges, one of the worst traffic jams in the freakin' universe, or leave at 0400, miss most of the traffic, but then have to sit around somewhere for four hours till the meeting started. Then of course have to do the reverse on the way home for meetings that got out late in the afternoon.

Places where I would be uncomfortable driving would be more like the middle of NYC, where it's crowded and unfamiliar and there's a maze of streets to navigate. I've never driven in NYC, but I have in downtown DC and in San Francisco and hated them both. Same with downtown LA, even though I'm pretty familiar with it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »
My wife is born and bred sc, never even been above the MD line before I came along.

The first time I took her to NJ to meet family we crossed the PA/NJ line right smack on rush hour o'clock. A maybe 45 minute drive took three hours.

She got a quick lesson in traffic. I'm lucky I didn't have to hose the passenger seat off when we made it to the hotel.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
"Places where I would be uncomfortable driving would be more like the middle of NYC"

The ex and I drove up to her Mother's in Connecticut on I-95 in the middle of the night.

That route takes you right through the heart of the worst areas of the Bronx.

The whole way I was praying that we didn't break down. That's the most concerned I've ever been while driving.

Another time we went up and caught the Palisades Parkway to get to 287.

That is perhaps one of the most beautiful roads I've ever been on, and at some places has fabulous views of New York City.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re:
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
*adds LA to the list "does not drive in these locations"*

Might as well add Chicago to the list while you're at it.   You'd really hate driving on the Congo 500 (aka I80/94).  How are you with heights?  If not good, then stay off the Skyway also.  The Kennedy would also be not good, along with the Eisenhower.   The Tristate isn't too bad, but the North-South Tollway gets really jacked up during rush hours.

Scout, do you have a 6 speed Outback?

Yes, and my only complaint is that it seems that wedged 5th between 4th and 6th for no real good reason.  Normally, when you shift at 3k RPM, it drops to 2k and then you build up to your next shift point at 3k.  4th to 5th only drops .5k and then again only another .5k from 5th to 6th.   The only time I use 5th is when the speed limit is between 35-45 mph.   

Besides that, it's been a great car.  I average around 30mpg.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Might as well add Chicago to the list while you're at it.   You'd really hate driving on the Congo 500 (aka I80/94).  How are you with heights?  If not good, then stay off the Skyway also.  The Kennedy would also be not good, along with the Eisenhower.   The Tristate isn't too bad, but the North-South Tollway gets really jacked up during rush hours.

Chicago is bad, but not the worst, maybe because I used to it.  I think on a per-car basis, Atlanta is much worse. Very confusing arrangement of highways, entrance and exit ramps, and everyone is going 80+ mph in every lane. That's not bad if you know where you're going, but if you're trying to figure out where you're going, you'll get run over.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
My 88 f250 with the 300 6 cyl and the 5 speed with the granny is almost impossible to stall out. You can dump clutch at idle in 1st and she will buck a lil but go

Quality must have gone down hill since then...my dad's '90 F250 with the 480 V-8 will stall if you look at it funny. Learning to drive stick on it was...interesting. Might be geared a bit too high, though...he meant to have them gear it lower, but for some reason it wasn't ordered that way and it ended up with the regular transmission.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

• friends
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Quality must have gone down hill since then...my dad's '90 F250 with the 480 V-8 will stall if you look at it funny. Learning to drive stick on it was...interesting. Might be geared a bit too high, though...he meant to have them gear it lower, but for some reason it wasn't ordered that way and it ended up with the regular transmission.
the big 6 is very torquey
Did dad have the 5 speed? I have that and a 1 ton rear.  I start on level ground with a dumpbed trailer in second unless its really loaded down. I pulled the front axle off a tractor trying to pull it out of the mud.

I am putting a new hd clutch in i hope nothing changes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »
the big 6 is very torquey
Did dad have the 5 speed? I have that and a 1 ton rear.  I start on level ground with a dumpbed trailer in second unless its really loaded down. I pulled the front axle off a tractor trying to pull it out of the mud.

I am putting a new hd clutch in i hope nothing changes

Yeah, it's a 5 speed. Don't know what the rear is. It does start in second and pulls fairly well, but you have to let the clutch out just right when starting off (regardless of whether its in first or second) or it stalls. The manual in the '91 Ford Explorer (also a 5 speed, IIRC) that I had for my first vehicle was much easier to use.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

• friends
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »
Hmmmm i hope my new hd clutch won't make mine act the same way

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 03:43:23 AM »
The clutch shouldn't change anything. What you're dealing with is gearing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
I was reminded the other night about the reserve gas tanks on my VWs.  It was a plot element in an old Alfred Hitchcock program where a family of robbers had to get out of his "out of gas" VW van and hitchike the rest of the way to town.  As soon as they were out of sight he switched over to his reserve and followed them at a distance.

Wherefore, they got their comeuppance when he notified a passing police car and they were arrested.

Had the same system on my motorcycles.  Forgot I was on reserve twice, and ran the bikes completely dry.  Fortunately, close to gas stations.

Also had a tank switching system on my Chevy C-20 with saddle tanks, but that was an extra 40 gallons, so it was hard to drive it far enough on the saddles that you forgot it and ran them dry, too.  I always remembered after a while.

Forgot all about that.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:49:26 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
I was reminded the other night about the reserve gas tanks on my VWs.  It was a plot element in an old Alfred Hitchcock program where a family of robbers had to get out of his "out of gas" VW van and hitchike the rest of the way to town.  As soon as they were out of sight he switched over to his reserve and followed them at a distance.

Wherefore, they got their comeuppance when he notified a passing police car and they were arrested.

Had the same system on my motorcycles.  Forgot I was on reserve twice, and ran the bikes completely dry.  Fortunately, close to gas stations.

Also had a tank switching system on my Chevy C-20 with saddle tanks, but that was an extra 40 gallons, so it was hard to drive it far enough on the saddles that you forgot it and ran them dry, too.  I always remembered after a while.

Forgot all about that.

Terry

Yesterday I was reminded of my gas tank. I heard a high pitched sound coming from the rear of my car. I'd heard it the night before, too. There's no moving mechanical parts back there that I could think of. Then I remembered the fuel pump in the gas tank, and looked at the gauge. I must have been running on the little bit that was sloshing at the bottom of the tank for a couple of miles, including the night before.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
Yesterday I was reminded of my gas tank. I heard a high pitched sound coming from the rear of my car. I'd heard it the night before, too. There's no moving mechanical parts back there that I could think of. Then I remembered the fuel pump in the gas tank, and looked at the gauge. I must have been running on the little bit that was sloshing at the bottom of the tank for a couple of miles, including the night before.

I thought about rigging some sort of transfer pump in the trunk to pull from my "reserve" can straight into the filler neck of the tank, but then realized the physical act of having to get the can out and pour it into the tank is much more memorable and keeps me from forgetting that I need to refill the can.

Might still think about doing it if I can find a good deal on a 7.5 or 10 gallon can that will fit in the trunk in some very secure way.  Plenty of 12V fuel pumps on eBay under $20, and rigging a passthrough for the fuel line and power would be trivial compared to anchoring the can properly.  (Really don't want that to roll around and pull the line loose.)  Speed isn't really relevant, (it's just got to be faster than the use rate) though some sort of dry run protection would be handy.  I figure having more than half a tank of reserve that can be run in at the flip of a switch would be nice when prices drop briefly, or if I just know I'll be travelling through an expensive area.  (Or heck, if it's just cold and rainy and I don't want to get out.)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
Then I remembered the fuel pump in the gas tank, and looked at the gauge. I must have been running on the little bit that was sloshing at the bottom of the tank for a couple of miles, including the night before.

Watch that.  I b'leeves most embedded fuel pumps use the surrounding fuel as a coolant for the pump.  I try to never run the tank below 1/4.  Could be wrong, though.  Maybe it's just an urban legend ???

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:22:33 PM by 230RN »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »
I thought about rigging some sort of transfer pump in the trunk to pull from my "reserve" can straight into the filler neck of the tank, but then realized the physical act of having to get the can out and pour it into the tank is much more memorable and keeps me from forgetting that I need to refill the can.

Might still think about doing it if I can find a good deal on a 7.5 or 10 gallon can that will fit in the trunk in some very secure way.  Plenty of 12V fuel pumps on eBay under $20, and rigging a passthrough for the fuel line and power would be trivial compared to anchoring the can properly.  (Really don't want that to roll around and pull the line loose.)  Speed isn't really relevant, (it's just got to be faster than the use rate) though some sort of dry run protection would be handy.  I figure having more than half a tank of reserve that can be run in at the flip of a switch would be nice when prices drop briefly, or if I just know I'll be travelling through an expensive area.  (Or heck, if it's just cold and rainy and I don't want to get out.

I know it's a completely crazy idea (and just doesn't have the same fun fire, kaboom, and horrible screaming death potential as a jerry rigged trunk tank) but I just fill up the main gas tank when it gets low...works for me.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:44:57 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
KD5NRH mentioned,

Besides, there's the "limp home" factor; last automatic that died on me, I counted myself lucky that it would still settle into second (though it was still slipping badly)

This stuff keeps bringing back memories.  I remember once a car I had died at a stop light.  I crept to the shoulder of the road by sticking it in first and cranking the starter to move it over.  Yeah, I got beeped at, but I got it off the asphalt on the other side of the intersection.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:14:48 AM by 230RN »

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2014, 02:15:38 AM »
Unless you defeat the clutch interlock on most current cars and trucks, that is no longer a possibility.  Defeating that interlock is common among hardcore offroaders.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2014, 02:40:31 AM »
I know it's a completely crazy idea (and just doesn't have the same fun fire, kaboom, and horrible screaming death potential as a jerry rigged trunk tank) but I just fill up the main gas tank when it gets low...works for me.

That's just crazy talk.   I can save $.02 a gallon, if I drive it until it's dry !!!!  Why that's almost $20.00 after 1,000 gallons or about 30,000 miles !!!!  I can get 5 and 1/2 used Hunter Orange Dress Shirts at Goodwill for that amount !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.