Author Topic: The Kraken Black Spiced Rum  (Read 4763 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
The Kraken Black Spiced Rum
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »
Had to run to the store tonight to get some rum.  SWMBO isn't feeling very good and really wanted a Hot Buttered Rum (1/2lb each of vanilla ice creme, unsalted butter, white sugar and brown sugar, plus a teaspoon each of cinammon and nutmeg and a dash of cloves - cream softened butter and sugar, then add softened ice creme and spices; put a large spoon's worth in a 12oz mug, add a shot or two of rum and top off with boiling water).

THe store had the usual Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum that I typically buy for HBR.  But they also The Kraken Black Spiced Rum for almost the same price.  I figured, why not give that a whirl?  Got home and poured a little into my Scotch glass (a Glencairn) and tried it.  It was really good!  I think I like it better in HBR than the Sailor Jerry's. 
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: The Kraken Black Spiced Rum
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:41:57 PM »
I love (release) The Kraken!!!!

If you sip it and roll it around your tongue it has tons of flavor, it always finishes off with a little chocolate note for me.

The way I drink it; red solo cup, fill with ice, half of cup with Kraken, fill the rest with coke. We have an Open Carry campout every year in Wenatchee for 4-5 days and I have now started taking two bottles with me so I can share.

Plus, it has a neat bottle and label. ;)

bob

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »
My local liquor store (with a pretty extensive inventory) had Kraken in one oz. sample sizes so I figured I'd give it a try. Had kind of a "whiskey burn" to it. Good stuff.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
I had to buy a fifth.  No option for smaller sizes.  But then WA does suck mightily for liquor selection (and prices).
Formerly sumpnz

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:01 AM »
I had to buy a fifth.  No option for smaller sizes.  But then WA does suck mightily for liquor selection (and prices).

I ended up buying a 1.75 after trying the sampleS. Go with whatever is on sale when I'm buying. There is usually one spiced rum or another on sale so I go with whatever that is.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »
My local liquor store (with a pretty extensive inventory) had Kraken in one oz. sample sizes so I figured I'd give it a try. Had kind of a "whiskey burn" to it. Good stuff.

Well it is a 94 proof beverage, it should burn a little bit.  ;)

As a person who seldom drinks I find that Kraken and Tullamore Dew are my go to alcoholic beverages. I will use beer and Jack Daniels to cook with and never drink either one.

bob

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:18:53 AM »
I can understand not drinking Jack.  Beer, depends on what it is.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 03:40:09 AM »
Rum... Capt. Morgan's private stock is pretty good as the Capt. Morgan's Black.
For some odd reason quite a bit of rum gets consumed amongst my sailboat associates. Pyrat, Sailor Jerry, and Capt. Morgan's being the favorites. My next rum purchase will be Kraken.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »
I like to mix it with Dr. Pepper.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:36 AM »
Don't recall which spiced rum I tried, but I decided that, in a blind taste test, I might not identify it as either spiced or rum so I have stayed away from them all.  Guess I'll find a 50ml Kraken and give it a go.

My main rum for tea, coffee, Tom & Jerry, hot ruttered bum, and milk punches (hot or cold) has long been Cruzan Black Strap.  Very molassesy, I find I use less sugar than with other rums.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 06:40:23 AM »
Haven't tried the Kraken yet, but it is on my list.  I like the spiced rums and usually purchase CPT Morgan brands.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I'll have to try it. Usually its cpt morgan with coke or rootbeer. Tried admiral nelson rum as it was cheaper-not so good.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
Cruzan black strap, served chilled.  Freaking delicious.  Tore my buddy up with it at his bachelor party two summers ago  :rofl:
For mixed rum drinks, I always go with a white rum (if there's a choice).  Smoother for mixing than a spiced rum (unless the recipe requires spiced rum).
I drink almost no beer these days, and instead drink either straight rum or rum and diet coke.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »
When I first read the thread title, I thought it said "Karen Black Spiced Rum". Years ago, that might have been interesting. ;)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
I like Kraken a lot, also Sailor Jerry. Appleton I tried, it wasn't very good. The gigantic bottle of Kirkland brand spiced rum is good, although a shade below either of the first two. If I was planning on mixing it with ice or coke or something I'd go with that, and it's not bad at all straight. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but there's a very dark spiced rum with a seal on the label that a seafood place on the waterfront in Seattle mixes with their homemade ginger beer that is delicious.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »
I'm drawing a blank on the name, but there's a very dark spiced rum with a seal on the label

SOCOM Spiced Rum, you aren't even supposed to know about that one, it sneaks in on the night and leaves you for the crabs!!!

Or, it could be Gosling's which is not a bad rum at all, although I prefer several other over it, especially Kraken since discovering it.

bob

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Gosling's, that's it! I've never tried it by itself just in the mixed drinks at that one restaurant. Those are really good though.   =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
I make my HBR without ice cream.

I make it like Emeril does.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/hot-buttered-rum-cocktail-recipe.html

I need to make up some butter for Christmas.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »
I like Kraken a lot, also Sailor Jerry. Appleton I tried, it wasn't very good. The gigantic bottle of Kirkland brand spiced rum is good, although a shade below either of the first two. If I was planning on mixing it with ice or coke or something I'd go with that, and it's not bad at all straight. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but there's a very dark spiced rum with a seal on the label that a seafood place on the waterfront in Seattle mixes with their homemade ginger beer that is delicious.

Good ol' Dark and Stormy.  
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 05:39:39 AM »
Cruzan black strap, served chilled.  Freaking delicious. 

I'm normally not a rum drinker, but was curious about this one.  The description sounded like what I always thought Rum would taste like before I tried it for the first time.  I picked up a bottle on the way home.  Not a bad price at $17.

Great stuff!

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
Another really good rum is Old New Orleans Rum's Cajun Spice. Too bad you can only get it in Southern Louisiana.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
What do they do with substandard Rum?  Why they add 'spice' to it, jack up the price, and make a fortune.     :O

Best Rum I know of, is Ron Zacapa Centenario.  It's a 23 year old dark Rum from Guatemala.  It does NOT  have any spice in it.    =D

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »
What do they do with substandard Rum?  Why they add 'spice' to it, jack up the price, and make a fortune.     :O

Who cares?  If you like the taste, what else is there?

Chris

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
Huh, someone left a bottle of that stuff at my house. I have been a little hesitant to try it. After all I usually prefer my liquors clear or brown.
Might be worth the try.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
What do they do with substandard Rum?  Why they add 'spice' to it, jack up the price, and make a fortune.     :O

Best Rum I know of, is Ron Zacapa Centenario.  It's a 23 year old dark Rum from Guatemala.  It does NOT  have any spice in it.    =D

Do you not like Drambuie?

Uranus is a gas giant.