Author Topic: Obama embraces his fellow Communists in Cuba, normalizes relations  (Read 5345 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/americas/us-cuba-relations.html

Probably wants to show them how the glorious revolution is going here. I love that he's bowing to this guy too. If he ever gets to North Korea he'll probably prostrate himself in obeisance before Kim Jong Un.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Obama embraces his fellow Communists in Cuba, normalizes relations
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
God, I hate that mother *expletive deleted*er.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
Is there any evil despot this man will not bow to?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
Is there any evil despot this man will not bow to?

The American People.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
Mixed feelings about this.  Not sure it is a bad thing to open up trade with a country 90 miles south of us.  I would love to have the money to go down there and start buying up all the cars that are from the 50's and 60's that are still running.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
Mixed feelings about this.  Not sure it is a bad thing to open up trade with a country 90 miles south of us.  I would love to have the money to go down there and start buying up all the cars that are from the 50's and 60's that are still running.

Mixed feelings here also.

I think this will be the beginning of the end of communist Cuba. There will be a sea change shift as they enter the 21st century.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »

I think this will be the beginning of the end of communist Cuba. There will be a sea change shift as they enter the 21st century.

???

We trade with China and they're still communist.   
Castro's political power is the type that comes from the barrel of a gun.   They won't give it up so easily.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »
Mixed feelings about this.  Not sure it is a bad thing to open up trade with a country 90 miles south of us.  I would love to have the money to go down there and start buying up all the cars that are from the 50's and 60's that are still running.

This doesn't lift the embargo, only Congress can do that. This just reopens the embassy.

We are the only country in the world that was embargoing them, and we do it half assed. Lifting the embargo wouldn't change anything other than strengthening the current regime by allowing them access to our markets.

Here's description of their current market program.

Link to where quote is pulled from.

You think this will benefit the "little people"/proletariat? This will mostly benefit the Cuban govt, and very little will filter down to the regular people.

Cuba has two currencies. They have the regular Peso, and the Convertible Peso. It's illegal for the people to be in possession of US dollars, or other foreign currency. Foreign currency gets converted into the "Convertible Peso" at govt-run locations, after which you can spend that Convertible Peso, but only in certain stores designed for tourists.

The Convertible Peso (which the regular people can't really spend) trades against the "regular Peso" at a rate of about 20-30 to one. Regular Cubans are not permitted to spend the Convertible Peso in most stores. They have to trade any Convertible Pesos for regular Pesos, and then spend those... except the Cuban Government rips them off on the exchange rate, giving them fewer regular Pesos than the Convertible Pesos are really worth.

It's how the execrable Communist government keeps themselves in hard currency.

But you can go ahead and pretend that economic infusion will go to "the people" if it helps you sleep at night.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:00:07 PM by Balog »

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
Balog, where did you get that last quote from, explaining how Cuba keeps itself going?
Not questioning it -- in fact it makes a LOT of sense and I don't doubt its veracity; I'm just really curious.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »

Isn't the US pretty much the only country that didn't trade with Cuba? Having access to the whole rest of the world doesn't seem to had any effect. I doubt the US opening trade with them will have any either except maybe more "refugees".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
Balog, where did you get that last quote from, explaining how Cuba keeps itself going?
Not questioning it -- in fact it makes a LOT of sense and I don't doubt its veracity; I'm just really curious.

Oops, I put a link to the source but accidentally had it in the part I had quoted from Ron. Fixed now.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
This doesn't lift the embargo, only Congress can do that. This just reopens the embassy.

I was making my statement based on Obama asking Congress to relook at the embargo and either weakening it if not lifting it altogether.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »

*shrug*

I'd prefer to make it contingent on some kind of democratic reform. But the embargo is long overdue for a stand down. Cuba's not exactly a strategic threat anymore.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 05:23:14 PM »
Overdue IMO and really no reason not to have done this all sooner.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
*shrug*

I'd prefer to make it contingent on some kind of democratic reform. But the embargo is long overdue for a stand down. Cuba's not exactly a strategic threat anymore.

Agreed. The embargo does nothing to help the Cuban people (victims) and does little to reform the communist gubmint.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »
Yep.  The embargo hasn't worked in 50 years.  Anyone know the definition of insanity?

Just because Obama is a commie doesn't mean he might occasionally make decisions that make sense.  And this is on the first steps.  As noted, congress has to end the embargo.  He's just opening an embassy and starting the beginnings of normalizing relations with them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
We should have normalized relations and ended the embargo when the Wall came down in Germany.  Some capitalism would have begun to change Cuba moreso than the embargo.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
We should have normalized relations and ended the embargo when the Wall came down in Germany.  Some capitalism would have begun to change Cuba moreso than the embargo.

They have a non-embargo, "capitalistic" relationship with literally every other country in the world. Hasn't seemed to make much difference.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
I don't have particular issue with anything that's been done, except to ask this question: Apart from the swap, what concession is the Cuban government making? To wit, this administration shows a pattern of acting in good faith with bad actors all over the globe (Russia, Iran, China, Afghan Taliban, Cuba et al.) making concessions and getting nothing substantive in return. Long term, the economic normalization is a good thing. Short term, capture an American, hold as leverage, get what you want.

"Soft power", indeed.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
I'm still struggling to think of what legitimate American interest is served by this action.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »
Yep.  The embargo hasn't worked in 50 years.  Anyone know the definition of insanity?

Just because Obama is a commie doesn't mean he might occasionally make decisions that make sense.  And this is on the first steps.  As noted, congress has to end the embargo.  He's just opening an embassy and starting the beginnings of normalizing relations with them.

Depends on what one expects from an embargo.
I think Balog has made some cogent and intelligent posts in this thread.

They have a non-embargo, "capitalistic" relationship with literally every other country in the world. Hasn't seemed to make much difference.

He also posted an excellent explanation on how the Cubans manipulate two different types of money to keep themselves in power.

Quote from: Shamelessly copied from Balog's post above
You think this will benefit the "little people"/proletariat? This will mostly benefit the Cuban govt, and very little will filter down to the regular people.

Cuba has two currencies. They have the regular Peso, and the Convertible Peso. It's illegal for the people to be in possession of US dollars, or other foreign currency. Foreign currency gets converted into the "Convertible Peso" at govt-run locations, after which you can spend that Convertible Peso, but only in certain stores designed for tourists.

The Convertible Peso (which the regular people can't really spend) trades against the "regular Peso" at a rate of about 20-30 to one. Regular Cubans are not permitted to spend the Convertible Peso in most stores. They have to trade any Convertible Pesos for regular Pesos, and then spend those... except the Cuban Government rips them off on the exchange rate, giving them fewer regular Pesos than the Convertible Pesos are really worth.

It's how the execrable Communist government keeps themselves in hard currency.

But you can go ahead and pretend that economic infusion will go to "the people" if it helps you sleep at night.

We're opening up relationships with a regime that has neither promised or given anything in reciprocity.  Whatever benefits go to the Cubans will be usurped by the govt. to keep their power.
Which will prolong the Cuban peoples' opression.

No, I don't think the embargo was world-shatteringly important, but drawing it down will, IMHO, have some bad effects on the Cubans.  And for better or worse we will be partially morally culpable for them.
But, OTOH, we already live with so much ....perhaps in the end all will be rosy. :-X

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
It serves no american interest. Unless one needs yet another example of our fall from power

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:05 PM »
I'm still struggling to think of what legitimate American interest is served by this action.
Legal Cuban cigars? (From fields and crops that haven't been maintained properly for decades.)
Good bass fishing? (From lakes that haven't been managed properly for decades.)
A chance for insiders to profit by providing foreign aid? (Hmmm - may be something to this.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »

Legal Cuban cigars? (From fields and crops that haven't been maintained properly for decades.)
Good bass fishing? (From lakes that haven't been managed properly for decades.)
A chance for insiders to profit by providing foreign aid? (Hmmm - may be something to this.)

Another source of rum.

Vintage cars and trucks.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
How about those Cubans who fled here is their confiscated property restored to them? Reparations? Or does normalization finally make em sol forever

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I