Author Topic: Suggestions for a reading list for a boy?  (Read 9603 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Suggestions for a reading list for a boy?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
I notice we are hitting hard on the fiction side.  To start on the other side of the coin I propose McGuffy's Readers http://mcguffeyreaders.com/ - preferably in the original versions but the revised ones will do.  Also throw in Warriner's English Grammar and Composition http://www.amazon.com/Warriners-English-Grammar-Composition-Complete/dp/0153118857 .  Go for the complete course - if he's far enough ahead he can start in from his performance level.

If nothing else McGuffy teaches problem solving.  The ability to write a coherent declarative sentence goes a very long way towards being able to say one as well.  Being able to do both those things will allow one to regularly bamboozle at least 30% of the population.

If you don't like these, I suggest hiring Sister Hubert Alonzo - she's the one with the wooden ruler that had the brass edge removed.

My father drummed (as in nearly beating) comparative religion into my head.  He wanted me to be able to understand what was being offered to me and that blind acceptance was OK till one got in the clinches.  While obviously biased many Jesuits are an excellent source of instruction, if you care to risk the boy's eternal soul.  (I met and studied with the Jesuits as a 3rd-year college student after serving in the Marines.  They pretty much agreed that by that point I had no eternal soul to worry about and kept sprinkling holy water at me.  I've since learned that most folks are not that far gone.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
Another non fiction suggestion, the books by James Herriot, a must read for any animal lover.

Also, a customer recently reminded me of Albert Payson Terhune and the Sunnybrook Collies.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Something else- as most of the recently written literature for youth is PC-commie-leftist crap designed to neuter males, , I suggest you look around your local used bookstores, and see what they have to offer- anything from 1970 back is likely to have some content that actually inspires pride in the US, shows reward in sacrifice and honor, etc. Any boy will recognize this- it is in our DNA, we only need to be shown.

All those simple serial stories like "The Hardy Boys" etc had this as a sub plot.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
I read McGuffey's Reader to my two daughters.  To this day they are avid readers. 

What kind of literature poofs up his skirt.  Sify, fiction, history, historical novels?  For shear training in expression nothing beats Milton or Shakespeare.  CS Lewis would be a contemporary equivalent.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »
dad suggestions:
Edger Rice Burroughs, the Tarzan series and Mars series.

Robert E. Howard Conan the Barbarian.

Andre Norton, especially her series's like Witch World.

Michel Moorcock, the Elric series.

Doc Savage books (Dad points out that because they are written in the 30's and thus may be a little confusing)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:24:10 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
I should really just do duel posts with Dad, who reminded me of The Giver.

Excellent book. The movie is an aberration and should be avoided at all costs.

another Dad, hard science fiction but action packed, E.E. "Doc" Smith.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
Nine is old enough for Lovecraft isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 12:04:10 AM »
Nine is old enough for Lovecraft isn't it?

age was Dads concern. He thinks the Moorcock might be a little much, but said it anyway, since others were advising some heavier stuff.

It's sad, but there really isn't much newer books and series that's really action based boys books for YA level reading. Plenty of stuff for girls, but the boys stuff pretty much ends at the Goosebumps reading level, with few exceptions.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 12:32:44 AM »
No mention of Jules Verne?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 12:56:20 AM »

One should hope not. I will never forgive him for Journey to the Center of the Earth. That one is a stinker.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
dad suggestions:
Edger Rice Burroughs, the Tarzan series and Mars series.

YES! I was just coming back to this thread to suggest Burroughs.

My ex-wife was a high school English teacher. For whatever reason (either she was good at it or the department head hated her), she usually was assigned to the lowest-performing kids -- the ones with no motivation and no aptitude whatsoever. They just weren't inclined to read any of the books normally read by high school English classes. I was on a kick with the Burroughs John Carter on Mars series at the time, so I suggested those and the Tarzan books as something the kids might be willing to read.

My logic was that the content is pretty much fluff, and the story lines probably don't hold up to critical scrutiny, but the benefit of all that is that reading them doesn't require much thought. However ... they ARE well written and they use good, correct English, from which the students might benefit. She tried it, and found that for many of her students it worked.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Suggestions for a reading list for a boy?
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 08:32:01 AM »
Something else- as most of the recently written literature for youth is PC-commie-leftist crap designed to neuter males, , I suggest you look around your local used bookstores, and see what they have to offer- anything from 1970 back is likely to have some content that actually inspires pride in the US, shows reward in sacrifice and honor, etc. Any boy will recognize this- it is in our DNA, we only need to be shown.

All those simple serial stories like "The Hardy Boys" etc had this as a sub plot.

This.  Also the pc stories written by transgender african paraplegics are pretty awful in quality.  Even supposedly old school curricula are sick with it.  Annd the supplementary reading programs like advanced reader do not include the books like by boys for decades like tom swift reh hpl etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
Peter Hathaway Capstick's books on African hunting - Death in the Long Grass, Death in the Silent Places, The Last Ivory Hunter, etc.

Theodore Roosevelt's classic, African Game Trails

John Taylor's book Pondoro - Last of the Ivory Hunters

W.D.M. Bell's books Karamojo Safari, Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter, and Bell of Africa.

For science fiction, I'd recommend the Lensman and Skylark series of books by E.E. "Doc" Smith . . . written before WWII, the science may be a bit dated,  but they're still a good read and not contaminated by today's political correctness.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
YES! I was just coming back to this thread to suggest Burroughs.

My ex-wife was a high school English teacher. For whatever reason (either she was good at it or the department head hated her), she usually was assigned to the lowest-performing kids -- the ones with no motivation and no aptitude whatsoever. They just weren't inclined to read any of the books normally read by high school English classes. I was on a kick with the Burroughs John Carter on Mars series at the time, so I suggested those and the Tarzan books as something the kids might be willing to read.

My logic was that the content is pretty much fluff, and the story lines probably don't hold up to critical scrutiny, but the benefit of all that is that reading them doesn't require much thought. However ... they ARE well written and they use good, correct English, from which the students might benefit. She tried it, and found that for many of her students it worked.

I think the stress on literary value is way over done, especially considering our illiteracy rates in this country. Reading is reading. It's a skill and practicing that skill is probably more important than content in the big scheme of things. A fluent reader is more likely to continue and read things of literary value, but someone who struggles with the written word is going to be less likely to read anything, even if they want too.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
I read some of the works of Jules Verne and Alexander Dumas at that age.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »

Quote from: Doggy Daddy on December 26, 2014, 11:32:44 PM
One should hope not. I will never forgive him for Journey to the Center of the Earth. That one is a stinker.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
HEY!  How dare you say that about Jules Verne and one of his best books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
When I was nine my parents bought me a book subscription that brought me an All About book and a Landmark history each month.  Terrific mind candy that is not of the junk food, all-flavor-no-nourishment kind (though pure escape is good, too.).  The All Abouts may be too dated now, but the histories should work.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
I remember the "All About X" books.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
HEY!  How dare you say that about Jules Verne and one of his best books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dude, they now make decaf. Check it out.

I'd be glad to reevaluate Journey,, once Mr. Verne deigns to write an ending. I guess it was an interesting story concept, but his ending was basically, "and they went home."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2014, 12:09:37 AM »

I'd be glad to reevaluate Journey,, once Mr. Verne deigns to write an ending. I guess it was an interesting story concept, but his ending was basically, "and they went home."
There was an ending!  They were ejected by the Volcano Mt. Aetna in Italy!   Didn't YOU read it? 
What did you EXPECT, that they should find all the world's lost golfballs? [tinfoil]

And I HATE decaf. [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »

There was an ending!  They were ejected by the Volcano Mt. Aetna in Italy!   Didn't YOU read it? 
What did you EXPECT, that they should find all the world's lost golfballs? [tinfoil]

And I HATE decaf. [barf]

[popcorn]

I like Verne.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
There was an ending!  They were ejected by the Volcano Mt. Aetna in Italy! 

Exactly the terrible non-ending to which I refer.

And, yeah, I read it. Hence the resentment.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »
It does seem that old Jules kind of ran out of ideas there at the end. I can imagine the thought process:

"There, I think I've put them through enough, and this story is getting too long. I can't just leave them there, so how can I get them back to the surface?

... Nope

... Nope

... Nope

Oh, hell -- I'll just have the earth spit them out. Italy's nice, how about Mount Aetna? Yeah -- done."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 06:16:31 AM »
Verne was fascinating in another level. His thoughts on where to launch from were very similar to nasa's some years later . And his number for the distance from earth to moon was uncanny in accuracy. Uncanny because nasa only got the number 70 years later.
Very interesting man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »

Exactly the terrible non-ending to which I refer.

And, yeah, I read it. Hence the resentment.

I'm still not getting why you thought that was such a bad ending .... ???

Earth beltched and that was that. SPLAT. THE END. 

Or maybe it was a fart..... [tinfoil] [popcorn]