Author Topic: the yen  (Read 1264 times)

zahc

• friend
the yen
« on: December 25, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=JPY&to=USD&view=1Y

The yen has dropped off like 20 percent in the past 6 months. You can get 100 yen for 83 cents right now. I have a vendor in Japan trying really hard to ship my goods early (a portion is paid on shipment) but I just don't need the stuff early. I assume they want to ship before it drops further or something.

What causes this? I am not good at economics, macro or otherwise.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: the yen
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »
Money bounces off of the Earth's magnetic field and is reflected back to the ground depreciated.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »
Think that's fun, for a little while I thought Vlad Putin and that thing we have in charge was going to cost me a $3,000 bonus. Russkies bought equipment from us, paid, and the US bank wouldn't release the money due to the embargo. Machines scheduled to sell this year to Russia and other sketchy places like Argentina. We sell a lot in Argentina. Hope the company gets paid so that I get paid.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »
The rest of the world economy is dropping and dollar is getting stronger.

QE 4 or 20, I lost track of which one, has ended which is propping the dollar up.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »
Right now I've a yen for hot apple cider.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 12:37:33 AM »
In 1985 the exchange was 180/1 in Japan.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »
In 82 or so we were getting over 200 yen to the dollar. At the same time we were getting nearly 30 Philippine pesos to the dollar, A cold San Miguel cost 1.75 pesos at the sari sari store. :)  A beer would run 4-7 pesos in a bar.  Good times

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 01:52:04 AM »
Japan's economy still hasn't recovered from the 1991 crash.  They refer to the 1990's (and the 2000's) as the Lost (Two) Decade(s).

Banks made bad loans to bad to bad companies and then when the bubble burst the .gov bailed out the banks, and propped up bad companies "Too big to fail", and kept repeating the cycle.  (Where have I heard this before??)

Wikipedia quotes Paul Krugman who despite seeing Japan policies fail, repeatedly, has urged our .gov to do the same thing (And we have), yet he seems surprised that we have the same results.  Although he then lies about it.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 01:59:18 AM »
In 82 or so we were getting over 200 yen to the dollar. At the same time we were getting nearly 30 Philippine pesos to the dollar, A cold San Miguel cost 1.75 pesos at the sari sari store. :)  A beer would run 4-7 pesos in a bar.  Good times

bob

On the same trip the PI peso was trading 18/1. I think a cold San Miguel was 5 or 10 peso, I've slept since then and don't remember for sure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 03:36:12 AM »
On the same trip the PI peso was trading 18/1. I think a cold San Miguel was 5 or 10 peso, I've slept since then and don't remember for sure.

I blame my misrembering on the amount of Orion and San Miguel beer I drank. ;)

bob