Author Topic: March 2015 James D. Julia auction.  (Read 7195 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: March 2015 James D. Julia auction.
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 05:58:33 AM »
Today's results of the guns I had any interest in:

*THE MOST FAMOUS OF ALL ELMER KEITH'S HANDGUNS, COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY REVOLVER, "THE LAST WORD"
Lot Number: 1005
SOLD
$70,000.00

*SMITH & WESSON PRE-MODEL 29 DA REVOLVER, MR. KEITH'S CARRY GUN WITH HOLSTER.
Lot Number: 1025
SOLD
$17,500.00

*SMITH & WESSON K-22 MASTERPIECE (MODEL OF 1940) TARGET REVOLVER OF ELMER KEITH.
Lot Number: 1031
SOLD
$6,500.00

I bid $1500 ($1850 after fees) on the K22.  Needless to say, I was woefully outclassed.

Chris

Did they already post up what everything went for?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:52 AM »
Dunno, I'm just copy/pasting the stuff I was "watching" or bidding on.  If there's an official listing, I'm not aware of it.

Chris

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 11:40:11 PM »
This is (was?) up for auction this month as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgfYvC7LuBY

I had heard that WW2 Japanese rifles were crap, and thought that might extend to all of their small arms, but apparently they just sunk all their resources into the Type 92. Kind of drool worthy.

I don't think any of us has the bank for that one, though.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:47:31 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
The Type 92 was, like many other Japanese machine guns, not nearly as good as it could have been due to a number of design deficiencies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
They posted up what everything went for, suffice it to say, I didn't win anything, not even close. :'(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
[quote
I had heard that WW2 Japanese rifles were crap,
[/quote]

You probably heard correctly, but the speaker was lacking in knowledge.  There was some junk made late war,, typical of a desperate nation on it's last legs, but the bulk of the Japanese small arms were well made solid guns. IIRC, Hatcher tested the model 99 Arisaka and found it to be the strongest action of any of the bolt action rifles of the war.
 An interesting informal review of Japanese small arms can be found in "Shot's Fired in Anger", by John George, an army veteran of Guadalcanal and the pacific campaign.
 He was a Illinois State Rifle Champion prior to the war, so had a strong interest in firearms. A good book, the NRA used to have it available.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
[quote
I had heard that WW2 Japanese rifles were crap,

You probably heard correctly, but the speaker was lacking in knowledge.  There was some junk made late war,, typical of a desperate nation on it's last legs, but the bulk of the Japanese small arms were well made solid guns. IIRC, Hatcher tested the model 99 Arisaka and found it to be the strongest action of any of the bolt action rifles of the war.
 An interesting informal review of Japanese small arms can be found in "Shot's Fired in Anger", by John George, an army veteran of Guadalcanal and the pacific campaign.
 He was a Illinois State Rifle Champion prior to the war, so had a strong interest in firearms. A good book, the NRA used to have it available.

The youtube channel Iraqveteran8888 did a torture test on one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGwQwXKMuNQ Pretty impressive.