Author Topic: Now this makes perfect sense...  (Read 6171 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Now this makes perfect sense...
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
Who or what is "Idris Elba"? I thought Elba was an island, to which Napoleon was sent in exile.

But no man is an island.

Idris Elba was, all too briefly, a vampire hunter. Aside from that, he worked in mid-level management for a regional paper distributor, and then as a crooked Bobby.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »

But no man is an island.

Idris Elba was, all too briefly, a vampire hunter. Aside from that, he worked in mid-level management for a regional paper distributor, and then as a crooked Bobby.

Shame on you for forgetting that in the depth of all that is time, he has also stood as the all-seeing guardian to Asgard (though he did have to ask for vacation days from Dunder Mifflin to do it).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 01:52:49 PM »
Who or what is "Idris Elba"? I thought Elba was an island, to which Napoleon was sent in exile.

Actually a pretty good British actor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/

(That said, I alike Daniel Craig's bond.  less flippant gadgetry and more ass whooping)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
(That said, I alike Daniel Craig's bond.  less flippant gadgetry and more ass whooping)

I think Daniel Craig has been the best Bond to date. While he's a very good actor, props to the production people as well. Even Roger Moore could have been a good Bond if he'd had a good storyline.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Now this makes perfect sense...
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
Shame on you for forgetting that in the depth of all that is time, he has also stood as the all-seeing guardian to Asgard (though he did have to ask for vacation days from Dunder Mifflin to do it).

He also sacrificed his life to save the world from an invasion of alien monsters.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
Sean Connery will always be the best Bond.  Roger Moore was more the comedy version of Bond.  

Personally I like the older movies.  Less Kung fu fighting and more arrogant English attitude.  I really get tired of modern action movies where everything falls down to hand to hand and every flunky bad guy is a martial arts expert.  

That said, as long as the new guy can do the upper crust English accent and attitude well, I can ignore the race stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
I think Daniel Craig has been the best Bond to date. While he's a very good actor, props to the production people as well. Even Roger Moore could have been a good Bond if he'd had a good storyline.

Nah -- I disagree completely. Roger Moore was too "pretty" and too "cute" by half to be Bond. The Bond of Ian Fleming was deadly -- Moore could never have pulled off "deadly." Connery was good, and Craig is good. Of the others, Moore was IMHO the worst by far, and unsurpassedly bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »
. . . Yes, James Bond has always been white, and making him black would be a change. But as far as I know (not being a hardcore Bond nut) there's never been anything sacrosanct about his race that makes him work as a character.
Bond was usually spying on the Soviets . . . would a black guy really blend in when infiltrating the KGB or some other Warsaw Pact organization?

Reminds me of The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission in which they cast a black guy as one of the group; he really wasn't convincing wearing the uniform of a Wehrmacht soldier. (IIRC, they used the situation as a sight gag and ultimately wrapped him completely in bandages so he could pass. Sort of.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »

Isn't it the joint in you arm between your wrist and shoulder?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
Does it hold a candle next to the 1980s series with Edward Woodward?   I loved that show, and just recently purchased the DVD set of the complete 4 year series and have been watching it.  Some great Stewart Copeland scores, intelligently written stories and  .... well, it sorta gets one looking at the Manhattan skyline of the 80s with the Twin Trade Towers still intact.   
I recall the TV adverts on the movie and can't say I was  very impressed.  Maybe I was wrong.    ???

I was a big fan of that show, too. In the Denzel Washington movie, you don't realize until you're pretty far into the story that he's a special anything. There's no reference to CIA or otherwise until three-quarters of the way through the movie. I didn't even realize it was a movie version of the series until almost the end of the film. Then, at the very end, you're given the idea that he does this stuff all the time.

I thought it was a good movie. Washington's character lives a minimum wage lifestyle, so there's not the class that Edward Woodward was allowed to display.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »
Bond was usually spying on the Soviets . . . would a black guy really blend in when infiltrating the KGB or some other Warsaw Pact organization?

Reminds me of The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission in which they cast a black guy as one of the group; he really wasn't convincing wearing the uniform of a Wehrmacht soldier. (IIRC, they used the situation as a sight gag and ultimately wrapped him completely in bandages so he could pass. Sort of.)

Except that a 2010s Bond would have spent most of his career in a post-Cold-War world.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 02:53:43 AM »
So where was the outcry when some idiot made a movie with a black Annie? Isn't taking a 90-year story line and deliberately changing the race of the protagonists a form of racism?

We turned Nick Fury into a black man quite successfully.  Of course, that's probably because Jackson was pretty much born to play the part.

Which leads to the Bond argument - I tend to hold to the idea that 007/James bond is a code designation and cover identity for a series of spies.  IE the title of 007 tends to be handed down fairly frequently.  We just don't see movies featuring Bond dying and being replaced, or otherwise retiring.

As such, so long as the Actor is really the best one for the part, I don't care what race he is - White, Black, Asian, etc...  Same deal with Orphan Annie.  A musical might not work as well if you can't work in the red haired stuff, but eh.  They have to change some stuff for modern audiences anyways.

I think that claiming Captain Picard to be French is actually a bigger deal, because even though he's a good actor, Patrick Stewart can't pull of being a french guy.  ;)

I just tend to figure that he's descended from some French guy who emigrated to England, or that in the 200 odd years and the Eugenics wars the ethnicity/speech patterns were a bit messed up.  Like lots of English people ended up moving to France, enough to change the speech patterns.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 03:04:30 AM »
Which leads to the Bond argument - I tend to hold to the idea that 007/James bond is a code designation and cover identity for a series of spies.  IE the title of 007 tends to be handed down fairly frequently.  We just don't see movies featuring Bond dying and being replaced, or otherwise retiring.

Damnit, I was just about to post that... :mad:

:lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 10:53:32 AM »
We turned Nick Fury into a black man quite successfully.  Of course, that's probably because Jackson was pretty much born to play the part.

As such, so long as the Actor is really the best one for the part, I don't care what race he is - White, Black, Asian, etc...  Same deal with Orphan Annie.  A musical might not work as well if you can't work in the red haired stuff, but eh.  They have to change some stuff for modern audiences anyways.

I think that claiming Captain Picard to be French is actually a bigger deal, because even though he's a good actor, Patrick Stewart can't pull of being a french guy.  ;)

I just tend to figure that he's descended from some French guy who emigrated to England, or that in the 200 odd years and the Eugenics wars the ethnicity/speech patterns were a bit messed up.  Like lots of English people ended up moving to France, enough to change the speech patterns.

You've nothing to say about the French Scottish Highlanders?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I was a big fan of that show, too. In the Denzel Washington movie, you don't realize until you're pretty far into the story that he's a special anything. There's no reference to CIA or otherwise until three-quarters of the way through the movie. I didn't even realize it was a movie version of the series until almost the end of the film. Then, at the very end, you're given the idea that he does this stuff all the time.

I thought it was a good movie. Washington's character lives a minimum wage lifestyle, so there's not the class that Edward Woodward was allowed to display.

Thanks ...guess I will be investing in the DVD release ....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

erictank

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »

Pretty sure the Dunder Mifflin gig was just cover for his real job as the leader of a bunch of smart, suave bank robbers.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 03:46:56 PM »
You've nothing to say about the French Scottish Highlanders?

Not sure I get the reference.  TNG was the first thing that came to mind.

Do you mean the Highlander series?  Not seeing any French guys in it.  Christopher Lambert(Movie) - USA.  Adrian Paul - London.  Etc...