Author Topic: Boehner out to punish those that voted against him.  (Read 4460 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Boehner out to punish those that voted against him.
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:00:06 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/06/boehner-moves-to-punish-dissenters-despite-past-statements/

This after he stated he wouldn't do so.

Talk about cutting your nose off in spite of your face.  Why do I have the feeling that by the time 2016 comes along the best option besides running away to a private island is going to be a D?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Boehner out to punish those that voted against him.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:31:42 AM »
Since I've abandoned the Republicans I'm so much more at ease.

No longer do I have to deal with the cognitive dissonance that comes with voting for (the lesser of two) evils.

I no longer look at my politics as (a blood) sport. Politics has been debased to the level of football in the USA. I refuse to choose a team when they are both opposed to me and my natural rights. Between the uneducated masses and the monied elite our politics have turned into the Roman coliseum. It hardly matter who wins, it's all theater (think WWF).

My vote is now my imprimatur of my approval. There are very few of whom I approve.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:28:25 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
Why is anyone surprised? And what was the " goal" of that lil exercise in fail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »
Wasn't there a proverb about small men in positions of authority?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
Why is anyone surprised? And what was the " goal" of that lil exercise in fail?

I'm thinking most of us aren't surprised. Just disappointed. Again.

On a tangent,  I read a few days ago that the 2016 Republican primary is looking to have the greatest number ever of people throwing their hats in the ring. Nothing like further showing the world how disjointed and unorganized the party is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »
The republicans are the masters of self mutilation.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
. . . I read a few days ago that the 2016 Republican primary is looking to have the greatest number ever of people throwing their hats in the ring. Nothing like further showing the world how disjointed and unorganized the party is.
The Boehner/McConnell/McCain wing of the party will be overjoyed to have someone OTHER than Democrats to fight against.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 11:31:26 AM »
I was curious what the guy who voted for rand paul was sending out

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
Here's what Whitman says and he outlines the fail pretty well. Can someone pits it in acway the nonfacebook folks can read?
https://www.facebook.com/RepRobWittman/posts/10152630319822634

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Rob Whitman
Folks, I wanted to make sure you all had heard my thoughts on the election for Speaker of the House yesterday:
Since being elected to Congress, I have consistently fought for accountability from congressional leadership, demanding year after year that the House eliminate the outdated August recess and remain in session to complete the work we were elected to do. I have also consistently urged a return to regular budget order, in which a budget resolution and funding bills are passed on a regular schedule in order to provide certainty and transparency, both of which are missing when Congress funds the government using massive, irresponsible funding bills such as the one passed in December.

These positions have not necessarily made me popular with congressional leadership, but I believe in doing what is right. The Speaker of the House takes direction from the House Republican Conference, and it is the responsibility of every member of the Conference to hold congressional leadership accountable to the people.
That being said, John Boehner was the only candidate to put his name forward for Speaker when the Republican Conference met in November to discuss this critical, important position. None of the other candidates put their names forward more than three business days before yesterday’s vote, which did not allow for a fair, open, and honest debate. What’s more, none of the other candidates even contacted me to ask for my vote or explain to me their vision for battling executive branch overreach and passing responsible legislation to get our country back on track. Theirs were not serious campaigns for Speaker – they were merely symbolic. I have heard consistently from my constituents that they do not want me to take symbolic votes. Instead, they want meaningful action.

No matter who is in the Speaker’s chair, my focus is on representing the people of Virginia’s First District and on upholding our Constitution. I have shown that throughout Speaker Boehner’s tenure, and I will continue to do so during this new session of Congress.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
Why did these serious political,players wait till 3 days before the election to pretend they were gonna effect change? Or was this just really really bad political theatre? Self destructive public autoeroticism gone bad? What does voting for rand paul for speaker of the house say about your movement/party?
Anyone?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
He sure uses a lot of words to not say anything.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
But he didn't vote for a senator for speaker of the house. And he kicked crabil's butt at the polls

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Why did these serious political,players wait till 3 days before the election to pretend they were gonna effect change? Or was this just really really bad political theatre? Self destructive public autoeroticism gone bad? What does voting for rand paul for speaker of the house say about your movement/party?
Anyone?

I was pretty perturbed until I read my Rep Glen Grothman's take on it, which jived pretty closely to the above statement by Whitman.
FTR, I lived in Grothman's district for several years and he's always been level headed and pretty much my favorite political figure in the state. The local fish wrapper had a story about him supporting boehner, which annoyed me, until I read his reasoning in the article.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
Yea it sucks. No fan of the well tanned man but the opposition needs to improve their game. Heck they really didn't have a game sadly

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
Saw that my Congressman Jim Bridenstine voted for Gohmert. Why, I don't know but only one to vote for him other than Gohmert himself.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
Anyone?

Speaker of HoR does not currently need to be a member of hte HoR.  They could have elected some dude off the street.  Perhaps Rand is the guy's favorite GOP policritter at the moment?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »
So you think it's a smooth move? Or just part of the circus? Do you think it advanced the cause? Did any of this "achieve" something?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
You know what was crazy about this to me?

Boehner staying as Speaker does not surprise me.

What really gets my goat about this is that Trey Gowdy not only "missed his plane to DC" (yes, that's his excuse for not being there to vote) but also says that he would have voted for Boehner to be Speaker.

What. The. *expletive deleted*ck. Gowdy!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:35:56 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »
So you think it's a smooth move? Or just part of the circus? Do you think it advanced the cause? Did any of this "achieve" something?

Circus.  The Republican wing of the Republican Party needs to better organize if it expects to achieve anything beyond warming a seat in DC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
Down here in the Most Conservative Republican State in the country we are having our own angst-fest.  Mick Mulvaney voted for Boehner and was promptly scorched by the state's most effective muckraker, Sic Willy. 

Here Sic calls out Mulvaney on vote for Boehner -- http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/01/06/brutal-rebuke-mick-mulvaney/  The nut
“Once people take a big step like this over to the dark side they rarely, rarely ever come back,” the email read.  “This was a hard vote.  Future sell-outs will be easy. Watch – by 2016, Mick Mulvaney will be a militant jock-sniffing disciple of Lindsey Graham.  (He) started down that road two years ago.  You can see it in his eyes. This year’s idiots will be the same.  They’ll claim they are merely trying to help ‘keep things organized’ as they herd their fellow conservatives off to the gas chambers in return for a new cot and an extra piece of stale bread.”
Rough stuff.

Here is Mulvaney's response to Sic's call out -- http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/01/06/mick-mulvaney-issues-statement-john-boehner-vote/  Several nuts in his response. 
There was an attempt to oust John Boehner as Speaker of the House today.  I didn’t participate in it.  That may make some people back home angry.  I understand that, but I’ve got some experience with coup attempts against the Speaker, and what I learned two years ago factored heavily in my decision today not to join the mutiny.
First, I learned two years ago that people lie about how they are going to vote.  And you cannot go into this kind of fight with people you do not trust.  We walked onto the floor two years ago with signed pledges – handwritten promises – from more than enough people to deny Boehner his job.  But when it came time to vote, almost half of those people changed their minds – including some of those who voted against Boehner today.  Fool me once, shame on you …
I also learned that the Floor of the House is the wrong place to have this battle.  The hard truth is that we had an election for Speaker in November – just among Republicans.  THAT was the time to fight.  But not a single person ran against Boehner.  Not one.  If they had, we could’ve had a secret ballot to find out what the true level of opposition to John Boehner was.  In fact, we could’ve done that as late as Monday night, on a vote of “no confidence” in the Speaker.  But that didn’t happen … and at least one of the supposed challengers to Boehner today didn’t even go to the meeting last night.  That told me a lot.
I understand people’s frustration and anger over what is happening in Washington.  And I also acknowledge that John Boehner may be partly to blame.  But this was a fool’s errand.  I am all for fighting, but I am more interested in fighting and winning than I am fighting an unwinnable battle.
Finally, the most troubling accusation I have heard regarding the Boehner vote is that I have “sold out” my conservative principles.  All I can say is this: take a look at my voting record.  It is one of the most conservative in Congress.  And I was joined today by the likes of Jim Jordan, Raul Labrador, Trey Gowdy, Mark Sanford, Trent Franks, Tom McClintock, Matt Salmon, Tom Price, Sam Johnson, and Jeb Hensarling.  If I “sold out” then I did so joined by some of the most tried and tested conservative voices in Washington.
The view of the fight on the line of scrimmage looks different than what is seen from the announcer's booth.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:12 AM »
^^Exactly the R's aren't using the same playbook if they are even on the same team.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »
Dumb, stupid move.  Very amateurish.  It had no chance of succeeding, and all it did was piss off some powerful people who we need as allies. 

A very good question.  One that should be asked a lot more often, by a lot more people.

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »
I watched it and kept thinking " it's gonna get better it can't be this retarded" and it just got worse. It was worse than the afternoon sessions at a NORML conference. All it needed was someone in a wookie suit. I have Japanese relatives that watched and are going wtf

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 09:15:58 AM »
While I really wanted the SOB gone, now that the initial but of being pissed off has passed I'm still pissed but for different reason.

They took the golden opportunity and ditched it in favor of last minute grandstanding.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.