Author Topic: Old-school modern industrial forging industry film  (Read 756 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Old-school modern industrial forging industry film
« on: January 12, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
An industry-produced film showing mid 20th century industrial forging systems. Cool tech that hasn't changed much in the half century or so since the film was made. It's still basically a "More Heat! Bigger Hammer!" scenario, though metallurgy and automation have improved a bit since.

Nothing like a little 16mm film goodness to dredge up memories of junior high.

http://youtu.be/v2_0V58ocq4

Brad
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:14:34 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Old-school modern industrial forging industry film
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:30:13 AM »
Thanks, added it to my list.

Despite not being mechanically adept and having no formal training in this stuff I love the old machines and techniques.

Giant wheels upon which giant belts are attached that turn other machines and the look of them is awesome as well.

Somewhere along the way I've picked up an fascination with Babbitt bearings. Just a beautiful solution to a common problem that didn't need fancy-pants technicians to fix or maintain.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Old-school modern industrial forging industry film
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:00:39 AM »
My jr. Year of high school  I was working weekend cleanup in a drop forge shop. They made medium sized stuff like u-joints and digger teeth and other stuff I don't remember. Mostly I  shoveled slag and pushed a broom but I'd worked my way up driving a forklift and even spent one day welding "handles" onto blanks. That was gonna get me a 15 cent an hour raise. That was the week I blew out my knee at football practice thus ending my manly man job and my football career.
I only got to see the forges running a couple of times but it was kind of impressive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams