Author Topic: Two out of three ain't bad.  (Read 2040 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Two out of three ain't bad.
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »
I do so love a happy ending. I don't like that the cops took the clerks gun, chances are the dead guys had friends.

http://m.newson6.com/Story.aspx?story=27845800&catId=112042
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »
I need more information.  It states that the police recovered the gun but not that they "took" it.  Even so they may have to hold on to it as evidence until whatever trial comes of this.  No big deal at this time.  Now if the store clerk doesn't get it back after a reasonable amount of time after the trial then there is a problem.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
The fact they came back is a bad sign
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
The clerk's handgun was probably retained by the investigators, but I believe that is SOP in most places. When I took my CCW class a while back I was told that I should be prepared to lose custody of any handgun used in a shooting until the investigation is complete (this was said to discourage us from carrying custom fancy pieces).
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
Yeah, they probably have to hold the gun for an investigation.
I don't like that the cops took the clerks gun, chances are the dead guys had friends.
Hopefully the clerk has another gun.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
The clerk's handgun was probably retained by the investigators, but I believe that is SOP in most places. When I took my CCW class a while back I was told that I should be prepared to lose custody of any handgun used in a shooting until the investigation is complete (this was said to discourage us from carrying custom fancy pieces).

Yep.  Needs to be taken and held as evidence.  Why?  Need to run ballistics to show who shot who.  Generally, also need to hold it until the bad guys have been tried or plead out.  Why?  There are a bunch of arguments that the defense can try regarding the firearms.  While in some instances, a photo may serve as evidence, given the severity of the charges here (likely a felony murder charge), the guns are the best evidence.

And, just to be clear, the same rules apply to officer involved shootings where charges are filed.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »

It's important physical evidence AGAINST the perpetrators in court. Proving the slugs in them came from the gun the victim used to shoot them etc.  So even if the police and the D.A. are all 100% "Atta boy!" over your defensive gun use, you're still going to lose your gun to an evidence locker for a few months/years, unless the bad guys plead really quickly.  
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

This is why I know a guy who never buys a single carry gun; always two identical ones at a time.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Great argument for tactical tupperware, if you lose a gun, buy another exactly like it and continue on without missing a beat.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »

I subscribe to this philosophy. A Colt M1991A1 Compact is mechanically identical to a Mark IV Officers ACP. I choose to carry the M1991A1 because I would hate to see a Mark IV Officers ACP after a year in an evidence locker.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
Great argument for tactical tupperware, if you lose a gun, buy another exactly like it and continue on without missing a beat.

Except in California, each 'allowed' gun is listed on the permit by make and serial number. And, we are limited to a max of five.

So, I guess you could just qualify and list multiple similar guns, but I like to have a variety on mine for different situations.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »

Being emotionally attached to your Glock is like being emotionally attached to your toaster.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
I'd still rather fight with my best gun in hand, even if it means I'm going to lose it after.  A life and death struggle is no time to worry about a few dollars worth of custom hardware.

Count your lucky stars if the worst financial blow after your shooting is the value of your gun.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Had a gun stolen from me back in 90-91 time from in Colorado Springs.  Was returned to me 94ish.  Detective stated it had been in their possession, Aurora, CO, for sometime waiting for the trial to be completed.  All that was wrong with it when returned was that the sights were jacked up.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »
I'd still rather fight with my best gun in hand, even if it means I'm going to lose it after.  A life and death struggle is no time to worry about a few dollars worth of custom hardware.

Count your lucky stars if the worst financial blow after your shooting is the value of your gun.

Exactly how I feel. People always ask why I carry my Ted Yost 10mm all of the time, it is for the reasons you listed. It is my best gun, most reliable, hardest hitting and by far the most accurate. If I am going to have to use a gun, I want it to be one I am absolutely confident will work every time, and work well.

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
Except in California, each 'allowed' gun is listed on the permit by make and serial number. And, we are limited to a max of five.

So, I guess you could just qualify and list multiple similar guns, but I like to have a variety on mine for different situations.

Sawdust

I don't know how you California people do it.  I'd almost rather see that place abandoned by anyone with any inkling of being somewhat more free.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 04:24:31 PM »
Being emotionally attached to your Glock is like being emotionally attached to your toaster.

I guess if your toaster has reshaped grips, a trigger job and night sights that's not hard to understand!   [popcorn]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
Exactly how I feel. People always ask why I carry my Ted Yost 10mm all of the time, it is for the reasons you listed. It is my best gun, most reliable, hardest hitting and by far the most accurate. If I am going to have to use a gun, I want it to be one I am absolutely confident will work every time, and work well.

bob

I concur with this sentiment. Besides, which gun do you want to be with you all day? The really awesome one, right?

Of course, if your bone-stock-Glock fits the above criteria, then by all means carry that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife