Author Topic: Blizzardnado a Dud?  (Read 1655 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Blizzardnado a Dud?
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
While it looks like Boston and some other areas got their share, NYC and many other places appear to have escaped the brunt of "the worst blizzard ever". A couple of lessons learned:

1) Bill Nye and other "OMG AGW climate change!" acolytes should probably have waited until today to determine if they should talk about OMG AGW, instead of spouting off yesterday.

2) CNN will (maybe) think twice before doing something like this again:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Blizzardnado a Dud?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
They were predicting up to 3 feet in NYC and they got ... 6 inches. Bunch of alarmists. The head of the regional National Weather Service office apologized for missing the prediction so badly.

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/storm-fails-to-live-up-to-predictions-in-some-areas/

It never ceases to amaze me. When I was a kid growing up in the shadow of NYC, the late night weather man on one of the three big networks was a guy named Tex Antoine. His schtick was that, while he gave his forecast, he was drawing a portrait of his "Uncle Weatherbee" character, appropriately attired for the next day's weather. This was in the 1950s, long before all the digital doppler radars and computer modeling and such. Ole' Tex was generally a lot more accurate than all of today's high tech "meteorologists."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »
I actually don't blame the meteorologists. It's weather after all, so the models aren't always going to predict correctly. Had it been the other way around, especially when taking into account just how little the average American prepares for anything, all of the MSM would have been filled with "We've got to do something (for the children)!" stories today.

It's the people that build it into more than it is (weather) that get my goat. Plus the "Blizzardmobile" was just silly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
I guess the eastern parts like Rhode Island, Boston and such got the deep end of the storm while New York City was spared the big problem.  
All the hoopla about snow....
As a kid I used to live in Westport Ct, right on Long Island Sound in the western part of the state.  I recall some nasty snowstorms....kept us kiddies home from school, and we had grand fun sledding and building snowmen and all.   Two....three feet of snow was GREAT!  :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »
I have about a foot of snow so far. It is still coming down, so we might get two feet out of it, but I don't think it is a big deal. The snow is so dry that it isn't sticking to power lines or trees, so the risk of widespread power outages is low.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
Juno, the great flurry on 2015.

I'm not quite sure what we got I have not been outside yet.
But maybe 5 inches since Sunday night. No where near the 18-24".
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
They were predicting up to 3 feet in NYC and they got ... 6 inches.

They were calling for a half inch here.  I think we got 20 minutes of light sleet in 35 degree weather, so nothing stuck anyway.  The ice on New Year's morning was a heck of a lot worse.  (And even that mostly melted off by afternoon...if I hadn't already been on the road with another storm system threatening from the west, I probably would have camped out somewhere and waited it out.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
Isn't 2 feet of snow just a normal day up in the Frozen Wastelands? 

You ought to see the terrified screams down here when there is a chance of freezing rain.  The news goes nut and sand gets dumped everywhere.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

castle key

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:54 PM »
Weather predictions twelve hours out are questionable, but we must believe global warming predictions fifty years out...
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »
I'm from NJ, and spent several years in eastern PA.

2 feet doesn't any worse than I remember getting dumped on by a good snow storm here and there.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
Isn't 2 feet of snow just a normal day up in the Frozen Wastelands? 

You ought to see the terrified screams down here when there is a chance of freezing rain.  The news goes nut and sand gets dumped everywhere.

Back in 1967, I was stationed at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland. I grew up in New England back when we actually had winter in New England, with multiple storms of several inches every year. I still remember the day we had a half inch of snow at Edgewood, and they CLOSED THE ENTIRE POST and sent all the civilian workers home. What a joke that was. People in Maryland apparently had never seen snow, so trafic was crawing at a snail's pace ... when it was moving at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »
Weather predictions twelve hours out are questionable, but we must believe global warming predictions fifty years out...

Yup. In this case (and I am again not blaming the meteorologists, who seem to be profusely apologizing for no reason, AFAIAC) it appears the storm moved around 50 miles East of where predicted, which made the brunt of it miss NYC. Other areas still got (are getting) the predicted weather. As I heard someone say though, it doesn't matter if the rest of NY got ten feet - if it missed NYC, then "they" were wrong, because NYC is all that counts.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
I was so hoping for a "Wrath of G-d" type snowstorm on NYC.

Does that make me a bad person?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
I was so hoping for a "Wrath of G-d" type snowstorm on NYC.

Does that make me a bad person?
Not at all.

It cleans the jean pool.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:03 PM »
Not at all.

It cleans the skinny jean pool.

FTFY.  =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
We were in the low 70s here today. I grilled steak for supper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »

Smartass.

Ben reported,

As I heard someone say though, it doesn't matter if the rest of NY got ten feet - if it missed NYC, then "they" were wrong, because NYC is all that counts.

S/He's a smartass, too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:41:33 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »
We were in the low 70s here today. I grilled steak for supper.

I really hate you!  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 10:18:24 PM »
That's why they are called "weather guessers".

Russ

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
The problem is that many of the preparations were made in a reasonable manner. If things had sounded a little less Chicken Little from DeBlasio that would be nice.  Now we get to wait for what happened with hurricane Sandy. The hurricane a year earlier was heavily hyped and a dud. So when Sandy hit many people had discounted the dire warnings.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
Back in 1967, I was stationed at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland. I grew up in New England back when we actually had winter in New England, with multiple storms of several inches every year. I still remember the day we had a half inch of snow at Edgewood, and they CLOSED THE ENTIRE POST and sent all the civilian workers home. What a joke that was. People in Maryland apparently had never seen snow, so trafic was crawing at a snail's pace ... when it was moving at all.

When it snowed 'down south', my mother, who grew up in the Adirondack mountains, would call work up and tell them "I'll be in once the idiots are off the roads".  It wasn't worth it to deal with the others.

She was incredibly pissed one year in Nebraska when I was a kid and we had heavy Ice - they didn't close the schools, so had several injuries from kids trying to get to school in slick conditions.  Then in the face of improving conditions(IE it gets better the longer you wait), they cancel school early and send the kids home.  I fell down about a dozen times that day, none injuring(I knew how to fall).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:42 PM »
January 2011. The storm that brought us this was initially forecast for "a couple of inches". They did revise it upwards some before it hit.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams