Author Topic: McDonald's Future in Question  (Read 26273 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
McDonald's Future in Question
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
I'll go with Wendy's, then White Castle, then Steak & Shake, next up Burger King and finally McDonalds.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: McDonald's Future in Question
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »
Went to IHOP last night after basketball game with the wife and three teenage boys and a teenage girl. 

Food for me was blah, first carafe of coffee that was brought out was cold, my omelet was bland, and the service was slow with what appeared to be a 1 server to 2 table ratio.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
I wonder how much of McD's financial woes are due to the raging success that is their value menu? I know it started as an almost-loss-leader way to get people in the door to buy more profitable items. It seems to have morphed into a much larger percentage of sales then they ever anticipated.

It's been several years since I ordered anything not on the VM. I'm not a picky eater, as my waistline will attest. $2.50 for a filling meal is mere pennies more than I'd have in something home-prepared. I have to believe I'm not the only one who regularly uses the McD VM as a convenient, cost-effective meal option when home-cooked isn't readily available.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
I wonder how much of McD's financial woes are due to the raging success that is their value menu? I know it started as an almost-loss-leader way to get people in the door to buy more profitable items. It seems to have morphed into a much larger percentage of sales then they ever anticipated.

It's been several years since I ordered anything not on the VM. I'm not a picky eater, as my waistline will attest. $2.50 for a filling meal is mere pennies more than I'd have in something home-prepared. I have to believe I'm not the only one who regularly uses the McD VM as a convenient, cost-effective meal option when home-cooked isn't readily available.

Brad

Those value meals are one place where I have to give McDonalds (and America!) credit. As much flak as they get for how bad their food is for you, I can guarantee that there are millions of people in the world who would consider it a Godsend to be able to eat a McDonalds value meal once a day. We have ridiculously cheap, safe, and available food here, when compared to so many other parts of the world.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 11:55:05 AM »
A lot of the franchisees complain about the growth of the menu.  Too many marginal products they are required to produce.  Then there is the complain about HQ marketing stunts that have no known purpose (free coffee, fer instance).  McD lost its founding vision for any number of  reasons.  Press I've been reading says McD will go back to its roots.

Where I live we have small mid state chain called Rush's.  Puts the big boys to shame.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
Andiron remarked,

I've pretty much written off fast food,  when possible.  Best way to not encourage fatassery on my part.

Doggy Daddy chimed in with,

Either that, or I'll just sit here all fat and satisfied with grease dripping off my chin and read youse guys ruminations for a while.

Well, I figure you've got to challenge and stress your system once in a while to keep it in good running order.  >:D

Sorta like taking your car out for a high speed run on the highway to blow the carbon off the valves. :)

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »

Well, I figure you've got to challenge and stress your system once in a while to keep it in good running order.  >:D

Sorta like taking your car out for a high speed run on the highway to blow the carbon off the valves. :)

Terry

That's what SPAM, Earl Campbell's Jalapeno Cheddar hot links, and Allsup's chimis are are for.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »
If their future depends on the performance of the location I'm pretty much forced to go to on nights when I have a meeting, MickeyD's is screwed.

This place is unbelievably slow. It's messy (never really dirty, per say), but everything just looks out of place. The women making the sandwiches get the ingredients wrong about 15% of the time, which is absolutely incomprehensible...

I was there last week and ordered one of their grilled chicken sammiches. After waiting an incredible length of time, the manager finally plops down a Quarter Pounder box.

Excuse me, I ordered a chicken sandwich.

Manager comes back a few moments later and says (I think) "sorry, it's just a chicken sandwich in the wrong box."

Yeah.... so I opened the box... "Uhm... since when does your grilled chicken sandwich come with a bonus hamburger patty under the chicken?"

Stupid sammich assemblers in the back weren't paying attention to what they were doing. AGAIN.

By that time I was pretty pissed, and the manager knew it. I was hungry, I was running late, so he tossed a "free drink or sammich" coupon my way.

Nice gesture on his part, but that kind of crap should never happen.

I was there again Wednesday (yes, I know, but it really is the only option for dinner for where I need to go)...

The woman doing the fries dropped the fry scoop and it broke. They couldn't find another one. No back up? Jesus...

The place was messy as all get out again.

The manager on duty I've seen before. He's not slow... he's glacial. And when he's on duty, the place pretty much comes to a stand still. I really think he's a Burger King mole trying to bring down the clown from the inside.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
The manager on duty I've seen before. He's not slow... he's glacial. And when he's on duty, the place pretty much comes to a stand still. I really think he's a Burger King mole trying to bring down the clown from the inside.

Nah; he either got his training at the Jack in the Box drive through or the WalMart express lane.

Bad fast food service is why I like to watch the HEB meal deals (Buy something - usually the entree - at regular price and get everything else to make a complete meal for 2-3 people free.  Wednesday, it was 2 24oz bags of fully cooked boneless chicken tenders for $7/bag, get chips, salsa, salad, dressing, hot sauce, 2L soda and a salsa bowl free.  Not bad for 3lbs of pretty good tenders and at least a couple meals worth of other stuff.) with nuke-and-eat entrees.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
Went to IHOP last night after basketball game with the wife and three teenage boys and a teenage girl. 

Food for me was blah, first carafe of coffee that was brought out was cold, my omelet was bland, and the service was slow with what appeared to be a 1 server to 2 table ratio.

IHOPs here suck too. Last one I went to there were a bunch of flies in the restaurent and the service was glacially slow.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »
Anyone ever try Sheetz?  For what's essentially a gas station, it has tasty fast food.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »
Anyone ever try Sheetz?  For what's essentially a gas station, it has tasty fast food.

There are none around here, but there is one in my parent's town in NE Ohio.  I just looked at the online menu, wow.  I didn't realize they had so much.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
The absolute best gas station in the world to eat at is Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City.

Right Nick1911?

=D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
Nah; he either got his training at the Jack in the Box drive through or the WalMart express lane.

Bad fast food service is why I like to watch the HEB meal deals (Buy something - usually the entree - at regular price and get everything else to make a complete meal for 2-3 people free.  Wednesday, it was 2 24oz bags of fully cooked boneless chicken tenders for $7/bag, get chips, salsa, salad, dressing, hot sauce, 2L soda and a salsa bowl free.  Not bad for 3lbs of pretty good tenders and at least a couple meals worth of other stuff.) with nuke-and-eat entrees.
Bad/slow fast food service is likely crappy owners and management who tolerate it as long as the profit is still there. 

I worked 3 months at a McD's in my home town.  Managers were constantly pushing and yelling periodically.  Then the owners would show up ocasionally and yell at people even worse.  Crappy way to run a store. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
A lot of the franchisees complain about the growth of the menu.  Too many marginal products they are required to produce.  Then there is the complain about HQ marketing stunts that have no known purpose (free coffee, fer instance).  McD lost its founding vision for any number of  reasons.  Press I've been reading says McD will go back to its roots.

Where I live we have small mid state chain called Rush's.  Puts the big boys to shame.
Now that I think about it, Whataburger is everywhere down here, but I don't think it get much out of the Texas Gulf Coast.  Good franchise.  Good food.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
Now that I think about it, Whataburger is everywhere down here, but I don't think it get much out of the Texas Gulf Coast.  Good franchise.  Good food.

From my visits down to TX (San Antonio) oh so long ago, I remember Wataburgers all over the place.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
BRB.

The wife is serving up home made greasy sloppy joes.  When I get back I'll post something about fast food.  Either that, or I'll just sit here all fat and satisfied with grease dripping off my chin and read youse guys ruminations for a while.

=D

Just finished off 3 BLTs w/o the L.  Not so hungry.

Wendy's, Jack, pretty much anyone else, McD's.  Wendy's used to sell up to a double burger, I'd stop by there after work before heading over to the shop to work on the race car.  I'd always order the double with an extra patty to make it a triple.  A few months after I started doing that they began offering the triple burger.  Really like it when the grease drips off my elbow.

About 9 years ago, we went to a Whataburger in Gilbert AZ.  Wasn't impressed, the burger was dry, the service was slow.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »
McDonald went off the rails when they stopped with grilling burgers in small batches (as they anticipated orders) and went to grilling hundreds if not thousands and then storing them in trays/heaters and/or microwaving them just before assembling.   Taste has bottomed out since then.   Their burgers were best either A) hot off the grill, or b) about 10 minutes old when the grease and condiments got a chance to soak into the buns.

Yes, I like their reconstituted onions.

Steak-n-Shake.  I usually hit the one in Lafayette (if I don't have time for Triple XXX).   $4 for a Triple Steak Burger and Fries, filling meal for a decent price.  With a shake total runs just under $7.  Still a good deal.

We've had a whole bunch of burger places open here 5 Guys, Smashburger, Meatheads.  We've been to all three, but not one was a "OH WOW THIS PLACE IS AWESOME."  All were decent burgers but spendy.

Since we don't go out to eat often, it's only when traveling that we'll hit a restaurant.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »
I don't eat here within 3 month of my annual cholesterol check.

http://www.ronschili.com/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
For a regional sit-down burger chain, I like these guys, because you can get good (i.e., not Jack Daniels) whiskey with your burger:

http://www.eurekarestaurantgroup.com/eat.html#prettyPhoto
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 10:16:45 PM »
Just finished off 3 BLTs w/o the L.  Not so hungry.

Had exactly that for breakfast a couple of days ago.  The L is not always necessary or desired.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »

Terry

Yep, still blowing of the carbon.  Good thing we have 4 dogs I can blame it on.  3 would not be enough.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
Meatheads.

I like Meatheads. Also, I wish Beef-A-Roo would expand out of the Rockford, IL area.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »
I actually rate the big national three about equally, it just depends what I am in the mood for. Though BK and Wendy's have never managed to forget to put the chicken on my fluffing chicken sandwich. McDonalds still has the best fries out of the three.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »
McDonalds still has the best fries out of the three.

Or possibly had. It may have just been coincidence or quality control, but the fries that came with my "new" Quarter Pounder earlier in the week were not that great. I was already wondering if they changed the recipe to (way) less salt, "healthy" fries.