Author Topic: Radio Shack is calling it quits.  (Read 6192 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Radio Shack is calling it quits.
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
I had those book shelf speakers too. I remember when it was a big deal when mom got me an fm STEREO alarm clock. Stereo was a big deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 06:37:41 AM »
Story on Bloomberg that the filing will occur this Thursday.  Sad.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
DW went to the one in Duncanville

And you really didn't see that being a major problem?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Story on Bloomberg that the filing will occur this Thursday.  Sad.

It comes to pass...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2015/02/05/radioshack-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy/

Chapter 11 rather than chapter 7. Majority shareholder to buy a big chunk of stores. Not sure what the struhteejuree is on that, but an interesting side note nonetheless.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 11:02:34 PM »
Optimus Mach II. I have a pair as my home theater mains. Used to have four, stacked two to the side. Ex wife decided she needed a pair when she vacated, along with the Minimus 11 bookshelf speakers.

Brad

My neighbors, who are about 200 yards away were blown out by my Optimus speakers. The only time they have come over to my house because of excessive noise. They don't complain when I fire off 20 rounds from my Mini-14.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:31 AM »
Hardly surprising, but at this point no big loss as they were but a shadow of their former selves.

My hair brained schemes we never all that grand, but I still liked Radio Shack when it was, well, Radio Shack. My first computer came from there, and for the time it wasn't all that bad. I had a  Radio Shack PDA, I do believe it's actually still around here somewhere and the damned thing still worked last time I gave it a charge and messed with it not THAT long ago for S&G's. First GF's number was still in it too  :-* . Today we're lucky if our cell phones make it all the way through the two year contact.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
My neighbors, who are about 200 yards away were blown out by my Optimus speakers. The only time they have come over to my house because of excessive noise. They don't complain when I fire off 20 rounds from my Mini-14.
Which direction were you firing your Mini-14? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 11:53:45 PM »
Which direction were you firing your Mini-14? 

It was from away from their house so, I assume it was from the noise of the 14!.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
My experience with Radio Shack was inexpensive remote control cars that only turned one direction and lasted 2 days. 

I did have a Tandy 1000 in high school that was a decent enough computer at the time. 

There's a TRS-80 Model III in my Dad's chickenhouse.  Been there about 20 years or more.  And a Line Printer II.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
There's a TRS-80 Model III in my Dad's chickenhouse.  Been there about 20 years or more.  And a Line Printer II.

I've heard of chickens that can count, but that takes it to a new level.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
It's going to be sad to see them go. Radio Shack had been my go to place when I needed parts quickly, but their selection has seriously gone downhill over the years.  As others have said, they are a shadow of their former selves.
I wonder if there will be any decent going out of business sales?  There are some Arduino gizmos they sell now that might be worth snatching up if the price is right.

I've still got my first 'puter, a TRS-80 Model I with expansion interface and a couple of after market floppy drives.  Haven't powered it up in 20 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still worked.
Worked for Radio Shack a zillion years ago, both as a sales guy at a couple of stores in the Portland area, and at a "Computer Center" in Phoenix.  Even spent time with them as a computer tech at that center.  Anybody remember the computer centers?
They offered me management of my own store in Portland three different times.  It wasn't a very employee friendly corporation, and I had other interests in life so I turned them down.  Nice enough place to work at the store level, though.

I've even got one of their 2 meter hand helds and a 2 meter mobile radio around here someplace.  They both work pretty well.  The hand held has a real tight front end, makes it nice and quiet in a RF rich environment like the West Hills of Portland with all the TV broadcast towers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:31:55 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »
I've heard of chickens that can count, but that takes it to a new level.

There haven't been chickens in there since about 1960.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »
There haven't been chickens in there since about 1960.

Just like KFC.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
And you really didn't see that being a major problem?

SIL lives there, the stop at RS was unplanned and I only found out about it later that night.  Otherwise, yeah, a major problem.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
List of store closures.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/02/09/these-radioshack-stores-are-closing/

Interesting that so many larger cities are losing multiple locations but none of the Lubbock locations is going byebye.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB