Author Topic: What brand of front-loading washer and dryer?  (Read 2527 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: What brand of front-loading washer and dryer?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »
Main problem I see is moving water at 8lbs/gallon upstairs.

Exercise!  Triple use.  ;)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »
So after going to the local Big Box stores, Costco has some very good deals on a Whirlpool Duet front load washer/dryer and pedestal set. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 01:36:30 AM »
I would avoid the duets if I were you.  My mother doesn't believe in spend a bit more once, and only spend once when it comes to appliances,  and my father just let's her buy whatever strikes her fancy.  They're on their third set of Duets in about 12 years,  and they'll be leaving them behind when they move to South Carolina next year. On the washers, the electronics go. On the dryers its always been mechanical. A good friend of mines wife is a manager in Samsung's warranty dept. She says with appliances, it's almost gotten to the point of no questions asked. To the point where lower level employees are getting  annoyed because they're denying warranty claims for fridges that are well past their guarantee, and supervisors are over riding them on a regular basis.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 02:10:30 AM »

I notice they didn't mention high maintenance and subject to breakdowns ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »
Or the potential high cost.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »
---snip---That's never a problem if I wash at the folks place, where last year,  I bought them a cheaper GE top loader - one of the older styles that apparently isn't made anymore because they don't conserve enough water. But it gets clothes clean ten times better than my front loader, and at 1/3 the price. It could be that there are newer front loaders that do a better job, but I'm not sure that I will get one as my next washer. Though with the newer Dept of Energy conservation rules, top loaders may not be that great either.

I will say that I've had zero functionality problems with the washer. It just doesn't wash as well as top loaders that I've used.

We bought a new Samsung set end of last year.  Top load, water saving washer.  Works well enough, but won't put in enough water for the clothes to tumble in the soup.  No tumble, and fabric surfaces will spend the whole agitation cycle above the water line, just staying moist.  I have found that a good temporary fix for that is to alway use the "Bed Clothes" setting. That dumps in plenty of water, and things get clean.  A bit of Googling reveals the way to re-set the water level sensor to put add more water.  I'll do that after the warranty runs out.

Speaking of warranty, the dryer experienced a premature failure.  I mention this because Samsung's customer service was very good.  When I called them, they took the ser # and symptoms and expressed MANY apologies for the failure.  When the tech came, he was in a van with "Samsung" on the side.  Samsung is all he works on.  Knew his *expletive deleted*it pretty well.  Had the problem diagnosed in just a few minutes.  Unfortunately, the part was not in stock.  He called in an order for one, and told us it would probably take about 3 days.  It came into the warehouse in 2 days.  The warehouse called to let us know that it was in, but that the tech had already left the warehouse to do his rounds.  Wanted to know if it was okay for a runner to bring the part to our house, and leave it for the tech.  Of course we said "yes".  Part arrived in about an hour.  Tech got there shortly after and had the thing fixed in less than 30 minutes.  I was seriously impressed.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
Any opinion on the Maytag Maxima line of laundry appliances?  http://www.costco.com/Maytag-Maxima%C2%AE-Front-Load-|-4.5CuFt-Washer-|-7.4CuFt-ELECTRIC-Dryer-|-with-15.5%22-Pedestals-in-Metallic-Slate-|-MHW7100DC-|-MED7100DC.product.100133178.html

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.