Author Topic: A Gun Shop Owner and the Bank Secrecy Act  (Read 5362 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Gun Shop Owner and the Bank Secrecy Act
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Sounds like their might be some push to remove the stupid Bank Secrecy Act. One can hope. Funny how the IRS is apologizing, but not refunding the money that the small business owners are out from fighting the "charges".

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/11/small-business-owners-battle-irs-over-seized-bank-accounts/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: A Gun Shop Owner and the Bank Secrecy Act
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
Ben, I appreciate you alerting us to these shenanigans, but such stories are not good for my blood pressure.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
If they are not going to remove that law, wouldn't it at least be prudent to require a speedy hearing where the seizing agency would have to prove actual criminal activity? 

I guess the lawyers are running the asylum. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
If they are not going to remove that law, wouldn't it at least be prudent to require a speedy hearing where the seizing agency would have to prove actual criminal activity? 

No no no, you've got it all wrong.  The idea is to make the process of recovering seized assets so onerous, so Kafka-esque that most of the victims will simply give up, either out of frustration or because they can't afford to keep fighting.  Then the .gov gets to keep its ill-gotten gain.

. . . with lots of help from politicians and career bureaucrats.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
Ben, I appreciate you alerting us to these shenanigans, but such stories are not good for my blood pressure.

Mine either.  :mad:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »
No no no, you've got it all wrong.  The idea is to make the process of recovering seized assets so onerous, so Kafka-esque that most of the victims will simply give up, either out of frustration or because they can't afford to keep fighting.  Then the .gov gets to keep its ill-gotten gain.

That's the gist of it.

The entire concept of asset forfeiture is contrary to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The Sixteenth Amendment states (in part):

Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

And the Fifth Amendment states:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

The gummint probably argues that getting a judge to sign off is "due process" but, strictly speaking, any sort of ex parte proceeding is not due process.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »

I noticed that Koskinen was quoted in the article. This is the same pile of *expletive deleted*it that lued to congress and the American people over the IRS emails.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »
I read stories like this and I can't help but think, "Let's start the revolution already!"  [ar15]
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »
I read stories like this and I can't help but think, "Let's start the revolution already!"  [ar15]

Just dropped a line to my congresscritters:

Hello xxx,

I'm writing to urge you to do something to prevent the growing practice of the IRS and FBI confiscating people's money under the 'presumption' that it's tied to drug dealing or other criminal activity, but without so much as charging the individual with a crime, or indeed any evidence of a crime other than them either having a large amount of cash on them or making multiple sub-$10k deposits.

I view this as a travesty of justice here in the USA, and against the US Constitution.  People are forced to 'prove' the innocence of their money or assets, as opposed to a court of law imposing a penalty due to conviction under 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

These are only a couple of examples, I keep seeing these stories pop up time and time again.
IRS seizing bank accounts:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/11/small-business-owners-battle-irs-over-seized-bank-accounts/

Police seizing money:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91555835

Thank you for your attention,

xxxxx[real name redacted because I'm shy]

Remember, congresscritters are busy but have aids.  Be polite, but to the point.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »

The process is the punishment.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »
If they are not going to remove that law, wouldn't it at least be prudent to require a speedy hearing wherehanging of the seizing agency would have to prove actual criminal activity

FIFY

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »
I believe there was some legal trickery such that the money (or assets) got defined as the actual "criminal."  Since this "criminal" is mute, it can't defend itself and therefore remains in government custody.

I'm not clear on the logic behind that, since I'm stupid, so some lawyer will have to amplify on this.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:25:06 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:24 PM »
I believe there was some legal trickery such that the money (or assets) got defined as the actual "criminal."  Since this "criminal" is mute, it can't defend itself and therefore remains in government custody.

I'm not clear on the logic behind that, since I'm stupid, so some lawyer will have to amplify on this.

Terry

ObDisclaimer:  IANAL

Yep, the money or asset is accused in cases like "People of the United States vs. $100,000 in cash" or words to that effect.  Since a car, house, or pile of cash has no Constitutional rights, mounting a legal defense is problematic.

I have no idea what the legal justification is.  How can an object be a defendant?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
I have no idea what the legal justification is.  How can an object be a defendant?

How can a corporation be a defendant?  Legal fiction, just like the objects.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
How can a corporation be a defendant?  Legal fiction, just like the objects.

Except that corporations are made up of people, and those people can participate in the corporation's legal defense.   A pile of cash, not so much.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 11:34:01 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me that we do not see more killdozer type events.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 11:50:16 PM »
Asset seizure comes from the very old principle that you cannot have title in proceeds or instruments of crime.

The in rem proceeding is also very old - property itself that facilitates crime can't be owned by anyone (same reasoning), so it's charged in its own right and subjected to forfeiture proceedings.  The rationale is that if you own something, you should take care that it not cause harm to the community by facilitating a crime.

These are very old and arcane legal proceedings being applied to an economy that didn't exist when they were around.  That's why you get the odd results, imo. 

The founding fathers and authors of the constitution were well versed in this area of law though.  It is not an accidental consequence of anything.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »
I believe there was some legal trickery such that the money (or assets) got defined as the actual "criminal."  Since this "criminal" is mute, it can't defend itself and therefore remains in government custody.

Terry

Based on this logic the government entity that detains this "criminal" shouldn't be allowed to spend it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 03:37:58 PM »
Asset seizure comes from the very old principle that you cannot have title in proceeds or instruments of crime.

The in rem proceeding is also very old - property itself that facilitates crime can't be owned by anyone (same reasoning), so it's charged in its own right and subjected to forfeiture proceedings.  The rationale is that if you own something, you should take care that it not cause harm to the community by facilitating a crime.

These are very old and arcane legal proceedings being applied to an economy that didn't exist when they were around.  That's why you get the odd results, imo. 

The founding fathers and authors of the constitution were well versed in this area of law though.  It is not an accidental consequence of anything.

I concur with the first sentence. I'm merely pointing out it's not applicable to anyone who has not been convicted of a crime. Folks are not being convicted of any crime, just shaken down or outright robbed without due process.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »
My problem with this is that the govt had no proof or evidence that a crime was being facilitated.  There was only knew the size of the deposits.  No investigation was done to confirm or deny criminal activity before seizure.  

There were also no "forfeiture proceedings".  They just seized it.  If there were immediate court hearings where the state would present its evidence or give the money back (immediately), this would be a little easier to deal with.  

There was IMO intent to harm the business and business owner.  They knew there was no criminal activity either before or soon after.  They didn't give the money back until they were forced to.  IMO, that should be illegal and actionable via civil liability.  

The in rem proceeding is also very old - property itself that facilitates crime can't be owned by anyone (same reasoning), so it's charged in its own right and subjected to forfeiture proceedings.  The rationale is that if you own something, you should take care that it not cause harm to the community by facilitating a crime.

These are very old and arcane legal proceedings being applied to an economy that didn't exist when they were around.  That's why you get the odd results, imo.  

The founding fathers and authors of the constitution were well versed in this area of law though.  It is not an accidental consequence of anything.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: A Gun Shop Owner and the Bank Secrecy Act
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me that we do not see more killdozer type events.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing....
Bad thing.  Bureaucrats and elected officials should be in fear of the citizenry.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »
I fully agree on the policy that a criminal conviction should precede a seizure, Rev and Mech.

I'm just pointing out that charging property with a crime and seizing it on nothing more than probable cause is a very old feature of our laws.  It makes more sense applied to pirate ships and unidentified stashes of loot, but it is hardly a novel practice.

Seizing property even where no charge has even been laid against a person is literally as old as the Republic.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
Does anyone know if anyone has tried to sue on the basis that there was no probable cause in some of these cases?  It seems to me that in this case, just the fact that there were deposits under $10K is not sufficient probable cause.  I was curious what the court precedent is.  

At the least, the bar should be raised for what is considered probable cause or evidence required to initiate the seizure of property/money.  It seems as though law enforcement agencies have been seizing assets on nothing more than assumptions.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:24:36 AM by MechAg94 »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »

At the least, the bar should be raised for what is considered probable cause or evidence required to initiate the seizure of property/money.  It seems as though law enforcement agencies have been seizing assets on nothing more than assumptions. a chance to grab some quick cash and prizes.

FTFY.

And that's pretty much what it is.  Piracy by .gov. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.