Author Topic: An exaggeration or an understatement?  (Read 2810 times)

zahc

• friend
An exaggeration or an understatement?
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:39:18 AM »
From a college textbook, with no real numbers backing it up:

"Severe poverty and deprivation exist on a massive scale today in America..."

What do you think?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 10:03:28 AM »
True. Several of my neighbors only have one color TV!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:05:24 AM »
That's along the lines of what I was thinking myself when I read it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
Anyone who's travelled outside the country, and especially outside the West, knows how utterly untrue that comment is.  NOBODY in America is really all that poor, all things considered.  

A rising tide lifts all boats.  When those of us with a conscince and a modicum of ambition work to improve our lives, we're also working to improve the lives of the least among us.  Wingnutx is right, these days poverty in America means not having a color TV.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 10:50:18 AM »
In this country, one can have a place to live, a car, a refrigerator with food in it, and plenty of clothes to wear......and be considered poor.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:56:57 AM »
I'll believe that severe poverty and deprivation exists on a massive scale in the U.S. when I stop seeing the hords of obese poor waddling out of Wal-Mart with carts loaded up with electronics, plastic junk and pre-packaged/processed food.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 01:56:59 PM »
It's true.

There is a poverty of common sense and deprivation of understanding.  It is massive and growing.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 02:09:13 PM »
Does the text book provide a definition of what it consideres those terms to mean?

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 02:51:56 PM »
America does have poverty, but to call the scale "massive" is just plain wrong.  Maybe they mean a "massive" number of people are deprived of excessive wealth?

By the way, in America we have overweight "poor" people.  In a lot of countries being poor means you are literally straving.  Our definition of poor is really pretty arogant.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
Wingnutx is right, these days poverty in America means not having a color TV.
Actually, if you ever visit some folks in so called "impoverished" neighborhoods, they have a big screen color TV and cable.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
There are some actually dirt-poor in America, but they are few and far between.

I go into a lot of truly horrific homes doing my EMT work, but most of them would be a palace in a lot of the Philipines.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 05:43:20 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
There are some actually dirt-poor in America, but they are few and far between.

I go into a lot of truly horrific homes doing my EMT work, but most of them would be a palace in a lot of the Philipines.
I used to work as a real estate inspector, and I had opportunity to see some truly horrific homes as well.  The thing about those homes that always amazed me is that the residents universally could have improved those homes into something livable and comfortable, if only they'd wanted to.  A little bit of work cleaning things up could have made a world of difference.  Money and expensive/difficult repairs probably would have helped, but they weren't strictly necessary most times.  These people didn't have to live in squalor, but they did anyway because of their own complacency, apathy, and plain old laziness.

I'm convinced that in this country poverty is a state of mind, not an unavoidable physical necessity.

onions!

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 05:59:31 PM »
Maybe it's just a matter of scale.
There are about 300 million (legal Tongue)people that live here now,no?
If even one third of one percent live in poverty* then thats one million people.Seems like a massive enough number to me.Three hundred times the amount killed on Sept 11th,2001.Twenty times the American deaths in Vietnam.A few times the number of folks in the city where I live.Probably a few times(or a few hundred) the local towns'populations of most of us here.You get the picture.

*No I don't know the actual percentage.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »
Quote from: zahc
Severe deprivation of fathers, yes.  But SEVERE poverty on a MASSIVE scale?  That's statist propaganda, no question, and written by someone who's spent very little to no time in the third world.  

I'll wager that textbook also speaks of a "growing gulf between rich and poor."  I don't know if that is true or not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 03:17:04 AM »
41Mag, absent mental problems, most of those folks you speak of are in that condition as a result of their own personal choices through their lives; and/or, of course their parents' choices and inculcations.

Way too many people choose a case of beer over a gallon of paint--or a broom, mop, and soap...

After my year in the Philippines in 1949/1950, seeing the aftermath of a war, and some 15 months in South Korea in 1954/1955, I think I have at least a clue about true poverty.  Same for many rural areas in northern Mexico, today.  Heck, most issues of National Geographic show photos of people who are truly in poverty.

I don't see many Americans living in shanties made of waxed cardboard...

I've been poor, but never in poverty.  And I danged well knew that a self-administered dose of GetOffMyButt would solve the being-poor puzzle.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 03:33:01 AM »
Why are the poor so fat in America?

The "poor" drive cars, have free access to medical car, have cable television, and eat and eat and eat some more.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 03:48:04 AM »
The USA has the richest poor people in the world.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 05:49:15 AM »

What do you think?
I stopped getting all teary-eyed over most of the poor after working in a housing project one summer.  I compare that to what I've seen overseas & I am even less likely to get all weepy.

Some very small number of folks really are hosed by no action or fault of their own.  I would trust private charity to sort the deserving wheat from the chaff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

onions!

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 06:38:01 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
41Mag, absent mental problems, most of those folks you speak of are in that condition as a result of their own personal choices through their lives; and/or, of course their parents' choices and inculcations.

Way too many people choose a case of beer over a gallon of paint--or a broom, mop, and soap...

After my year in the Philippines in 1949/1950, seeing the aftermath of a war, and some 15 months in South Korea in 1954/1955, I think I have at least a clue about true poverty.  Same for many rural areas in northern Mexico, today.  Heck, most issues of National Geographic show photos of people who are truly in poverty.

I don't see many Americans living in shanties made of waxed cardboard...

I've been poor, but never in poverty.  And I danged well knew that a self-administered dose of GetOffMyButt would solve the being-poor puzzle.

Art
Actually,I didn't state an opinion about the truthfullness of the stats.Nor was I intending a relative comparison of US poor vs. international poor.

Rather than just refer to most of the "poor" as n'er do wells who did "it" to themselves,I chose to look @ the statement from the perspective that "massive" is relative.& then threw out some figures that might show my point of view.

It really has nothing to do w/how they arrived that way & what they need to do to get out of their situation.

95% of the people surveyed think that Al Gore should be President.No one said that the poll was 39 people @ a coffee house in San Francisco.Broad statements can mean many things.
YMMV.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 06:44:02 AM »
Actually, it is pretty much against the law to be really poor in most places in America.

Try living without running water or electricity, and the authorities will be swooping down on you, especially if kids are involved.

We used to live in a 30' trailer on our logging lease.  Water came from a spring, and the "facilities" were a "little house" in the trees.  But we were pretty rich compared to the people in Africa drinking water out of muddy puddles and walking miles to collect a few sticks for firewood.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 08:08:43 AM »
....These people didn't have to live in squalor, but they did anyway because of their own complacency, apathy, and plain old laziness.

I'm convinced that in this country poverty is a state of mind, not an unavoidable physical necessity.
I'm not even sure why I try and post on APS...someone usually beats me to the punch around here!
We have a lazy apathetic country.  I've been in truly poor neighborhoods in Mexico, where residents live without electricty, running water, or cable tv Tongue....as well as no sewage or trash service, no hospitals.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:26 AM »

What do you think?
if you include South and Central America in "America" I would agree.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 11:33:51 AM »
We have no concept of world class poverty.  Our expectations are so high we can not possibly identify with the truly poor of the earth.  Do we have needy people in the US?  YooBetcha we do.  Is it the equal of Brazilian slums, or those found in India or Bangladesh, of Egypts' city of the dead?  For anyone to say what this enlightened source profers is to insult the truly poor.  America has no concept of what true poverty is like.  Want a good picture of poverty on a world class scale?  Picture refugees fleeing Darfur in the front of Arabs.  They literally have the clothes on their back and that is all.  Everything else was destroyed.  That is poverty.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Antibubba

• friend
Re: An exaggeration or an understatement?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 03:10:44 AM »
I have to surf with a dial-up connection, so I really do have to agree with the premise.

rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.