Author Topic: AK47/AKM 80% receiver question  (Read 3065 times)

dm1333

• friend
AK47/AKM 80% receiver question
« on: February 18, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »
I can find plenty of 80% receivers but haven't seen one with an integrated side rail for mounting optics.  Have any of you seen one?  I'm about to post this over on The AK Files once the mods activate my account. 

freakazoid

• friend
Re: AK47/AKM 80% receiver question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
The side rail for mounting a scope mount is rivited on.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
Thanks, I kind of figured that most of them were riveted.  I know I've seen at least one rail that was bolted on.  I'm debating between loctite or a couple of small tack welds to make sure it stays in place.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
I have a couple of the dust cover modifications that attach at the rear sight pin.  Those work decently.  Only change is the dust cover just levers up instead of coming off during cleaning.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »
I have a couple of the dust cover modifications that attach at the rear sight pin.  Those work decently.  Only change is the dust cover just levers up instead of coming off during cleaning.

There are good aftermarket ones out there that are rigid.

http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/category-s/1824.htm
I promise not to duck.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
AJ,

Thanks for that link.  Ideally I want to mount a set of Tech Sights that will co witness with a red dot.  That dust cover looks like a nice option.  I'm thinking of using a Bushnell TRS25, another Lucid M7 (have one on an AR, highly recommend it) or  Primary Arms red dot.  On an AK47 Operators Union YouTube video they dragged a Century Arms C39 behind a truck on a dirt road.  It had a Primary Arms RDS on it.  The bikini cover got ripped off and both lenses cracked.  The red dot was still working and I think they picked it up and nailed a steel target at 300 yards with it.  I love AR's but I'm becoming more and more impressed with AK's and some of the accessories people are putting out for them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
The link AJDual posted is the one I have on a couple AK's.  It is pretty rigid and I like it. 

The do sell a very low profile peep sight you can set on the back of the rail.  It isn't high enough to co-witness a red dot, but it is a cheap and useful iron sight that won't get in the way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
I think I've seen the peep sight you are talking about.  IIRC it was fixed, depending on windage and elevation from thr front post.  I'm wondering if you can get Techsights to co witness or find a side mount that is see through.  I'm pretty sure I wrote down the name of a see through mount in my notebook.

edit: that Texas Weapons Systems dust cover will co witness with the stock sights, that will work just fine.  Now I'm wondering if I can get tritium sights or maybe Williams Firesights to replace the stock ones. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:21:33 PM by dm1333 »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
Ahem, it simply has to be said:

IVAN CHESNOKOV !!4AFNigi37A 06/10/10 (Thu) 22:32 No. 6338938

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY *expletive deleted*it STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO. MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO *expletive deleted*ck YOURSELF IN ahole FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU *expletive deleted*ck IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB *expletive deleted*it PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
 :rofl:
That said, the biggest value is to get a rear sight mounted several inches further back for a longer sight radius and to allow use of a red dot which allows faster sighting on target and better low light aiming.  I would agree that scopes and such are not really a big help on an AK as it isn't going to be pin point accurate anyway.  

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
Ahem, it simply has to be said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Funny stuff scout!  I've been reading on a couple of AK forums, Kalashnikov is rolling over in his grave.  Why would anybody put a 9X scope on an AK???????????????? 

All I want is an adjustable stock (it gets frickin cold here in Michigan, the last range trip I made I had on 2 wicking T's, an Underarmor hoody, pile jacket and a Carhart jacket on top of that), better irons (XS Sight Systems tritiums look nice) and a small red dot over the receiver.  I've seen too many roasted optics that were mounted up forward.  Polish the rails a bit, add a good flash suppressor and go shoot! 

I'm also collecting parts for another AR.  My goal is 7 pounds or less with a small red dot and a loaded 20 round mag.  I'm a fan of the Bushnell TRS25 and the Lucid M7.  The biggest gripe about the Bushnell is no kill flash is made for it but I think I can rig one with a bikini cover.

I'm definitely not a fan of hanging every tacticool accessory off your gun.