Author Topic: Money troubles  (Read 2413 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Money troubles
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 05:06:03 AM »
I have had good experiences with them - specificallyConsumer Credit Counseling Service .  Bear in mind that most, if not all, of these services are in fact funded by a consrtium of credit providing companies, so there is an inherent conflict of interest.  That being said, they saved my butt.  Also bear in mind it WILL NOT WORK unless your brother understands that he HAS TO STOP BORROWING - even from freinds, pawn shops, signature loans, etc.  Furhter, the credit cards are cut up and the accounts put in a "no adds" status, so he better have some plan for feeding himself and family.  Why is he in such desperate straights?  Does he have too much car? Too much house?  More details would be helpful, as there are some debts, (taxes, student loans, etc) that even the services can do nothing about.

My wife and I did excatly the same thing.  It saved our butt, too.
Chris:  Make sure he uses only a non-profit agency.  Search for CCCS in his area.  He has to learn not to bury himself again, as well.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 11:10:53 AM »
+ 1 for Brad Johnson - get them OUT of that money pit house!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 12:14:35 PM »
He should do his best to avoid bankrupcy but it could get serious enough to need it, if they don't change their ways.  Bankrupcy lawyers want to be paid in advance.

The idea of paying off the small accounts first seems good to me, provided they use the payment that they had been paying on the smallest bill goes to the next smallest bill when the first one is paid off.  Then to the next smallest, and to the next until they are paid off.  Do not reduce the amount of payment to bills until they are all paid.

Other things to do can be many.  Some have been mentione such as do not eat out, do not eat pre-prepared food.  Get rid of cable and go to an antenna system if possible.  Walk when they can instead of driving.   Bake bread, biscuits, cornbread, cakes and cookies at home. They taste better and cost less than store bought.   Forget vacations for the durationl.

If the car needs replaced, replace it with a used, not new car.  Somethig good enough to get to work and around town.  If they go out of town they can rent for the day or 2.  Try to get by with one vehicle.  Ride a bicyle instead of driving.  Use cupons at the grocery store.  Reduce the amount of gifts you give.

But remember to tithe.