Author Topic: Castle Serenity Pellet Stove  (Read 4572 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Castle Serenity Pellet Stove
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
Long shot, but anyone have one? http://www.castlestoves.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=12327

It's looking seriously as if this is the pellet stove I'm going to get.

It's 30K BTU, which I think may be a little bit on the low side when it gets really cold, but it has rave reviews everywhere I've seen it reviewed, the price is excellent, and I really like the form factor and the "smart controller" has functionality that's I've not seen on other stoves, including the ability to choose when you want it start up and shut down.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Castle Serenity Pellet Stove
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
I'm just going to post that I am seriously disappointed this thread has nothing to do with Nathan Fillion.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
I'm just going to post that I am seriously disappointed this thread has nothing to do with Nathan Fillion.

:rofl: :rofl:

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »

My exact thoughts when clicking this! LOL =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
Long shot, but anyone have one? http://www.castlestoves.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=12327

It's looking seriously as if this is the pellet stove I'm going to get.

It's 30K BTU, which I think may be a little bit on the low side when it gets really cold, but it has rave reviews everywhere I've seen it reviewed, the price is excellent, and I really like the form factor and the "smart controller" has functionality that's I've not seen on other stoves, including the ability to choose when you want it start up and shut down.

You're using this in your den right?  My 23k BTU kero heater will bring my entire townhouse up to 78deg if it runs all day from the basement (household furnace thermostat set to 72).  How warm do you want it?

ETA: This was with outside temps in the low double digits or high single digits.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:59:49 AM by mtnbkr »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »
I've decided that I'll only purchase it if they send Jewell Stait to install it.

"You're using this in your den right?  My 23k BTU kero heater will bring my entire townhouse up to 78deg if it runs all day from the basement (household furnace thermostat set to 72).  How warm do you want it?"

Yes, but you have center stairwell design, which helps with heat distribution. I think 30K BTU should be enough, especially if I go the route of installing a collector fan (very quiet bath exhaust fan with a 6" tube) in the ceiling in the living room and running it to the hallway upstairs. That way I can move heat pretty quickly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »

Well, now I know what I'm buying if I replace my Bosca. I do like the 60+ lb hopper in my Bosca, the roomy ash drawer and whatnot. Wish the blower was slightly stronger, but meh.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
I like the Bosch but not it's price.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
I run my air handler fan to distribute heat. Added benefit in my case is that help to keep crawl space above freezing so,pipes are happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »
Pellet stoves are good if you have backup electricity and don't mind being dependent on buying your fuel.
I considered one when I went with my wood stove but I can't take my truck and saw to the woods and come back with a truck load of pellets.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
Pellet stoves are good if you have backup electricity and don't mind being dependent on buying your fuel.
I considered one when I went with my wood stove but I can't take my truck and saw to the woods and come back with a truck load of pellets.

Yup.

I live in an area where electricity is less than reliable, especially during storms.  While I do have a generator, the idea of running it so I can run a pellet stove was less than optimal.  So I stuck with wood, which has the added benefit of upsetting the enviro-weenies.

Besides, firewood warms you up four times: when you split it, when you haul it, when you stack it, and when you burn it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
I heat with a heat pump and I don't have back up electric.

In the 22 years I've been in the house I've lost power for longer than a day twice. Both times in summer.  Never had a winter outage.

On top of that I have no place for a wood pile or a chimney.

So your advice really doesn't hold any value for me because it doesn't answer my question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
So your advice really doesn't hold any value for me because it doesn't answer my question.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:34:14 PM »
I still need my change back...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »
I think someone needs more fiber in his diet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
I think someone needs more fiber in his diet.

I've already eaten half a bag of stove pellets today... Don't know how much more fiber I need.