Author Topic: We're a Nation of Laws, But...  (Read 9185 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: We're a Nation of Laws, But...
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
Perhaps I do not imply by 'universal' what you think i do'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »

Oblique allusions to the counter-argument do not really illuminate your point or advance the discussion.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »

And perhaps I can whistle "Dixie" out of my fourth point of contact.

Meanwhile, here in non-Humpty-Dumpty(1) Land, we do our best to stick with plain meaning and general understanding.

Note (1):
    "I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
    Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
    "But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."
    Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. "They've a temper, some of them—particularly verbs, they're the proudest—adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs—however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »
As a young man, recently discovered of the true principles of laissez faire capitalism and self determination.  I assumed that the appreciation for these principles were inherent in all people, and that the only reason that we didn't all live in rich, pluralistic societies was that far to many we're trapped in a polity that was misruled by bad leaders and their henchman.  I assumed that there burned a desire within the hearts of all people trapped in these unfortunate circumstances to breathe free, to respect the law and each other, to strive and earn and prosper.

I was full of *expletive deleted*it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
And perhaps I can whistle "Dixie" out of my fourth point of contact.

Meanwhile, here in non-Humpty-Dumpty(1) Land, we do our best to stick with plain meaning and general understanding.

Note (1):

A universal moral truth is one that is always true, regardless of one's cultural belonging.

Truth: Torturing babies is evil.

Even if some countries torture babies, that merely means that their culture is evil.

The fact that there exist cultures that believe baby-torture is okay doesn't mean it is.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
MicroBalrog, the left wing promises illegal immigrants:

Free food
Free/cheap housing
Free phones
Free/cheap child care
Free healthcare
Free money

And all they have to do is sit on their butts and have illegitimate children... and vote for Democrats.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
A universal moral truth is one that is always true, regardless of one's cultural belonging.

Truth: Torturing babies is evil.

Even if some countries torture babies, that merely means that their culture is evil.

The fact that there exist cultures that believe baby-torture is okay doesn't mean it is.
But in making that statement, you have to define "torture" and "babies".  That same issue was brought up with regard to circumcision.  I am sure you could find some wack job who thinks it was torture to allow the toddler to touch the hot pot of boiling water even after being told not to touch it.  Maybe find some hellicopter parent who defines their 12 year old hoodlum as a "baby".

We live in a legalistic era.  There can be no assumption of common sense or common decency.  Reasonable or rational thought certainly cannot be assumed.  I am playing devil's advocate, but that is needed when people talk about absolutes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:41:37 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 11:43:05 AM »
Back to the OP issue, I also heard Obama was speculating about raising taxes without a new law passing.  They are already working on screwing up the internet without any congressional approval.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
Back to the OP issue, I also heard Obama was speculating about raising taxes without a new law passing.  They are already working on screwing up the internet without any congressional approval.

On corporate taxes, I believe. Because already having the highest corporate tax rate in the world just isn't good enough.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:58 AM »
You know what???  They keep doing this shinola (both parties, btw) and pretty soon, the people who follow the laws because they're overall good, decent people who *want* to be law abiding are gonna look around, realize they're getting royally boned, and say, "F*** this, I'm not gonna keep getting hosed while everyone else gets away with breaking the law."
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 12:12:28 AM »
"We’re a nation of laws, but we’re also respecting the fact that we’re a nation of immigrants." —Obama

Yeah, well you know what?  "We're a nation of laws, but I don't feel like paying taxes anymore."
"We're a nation of laws, but I don't think I should have to follow ANY DAMN LAW I DON'T WANT TO!"   And I'll just point to the Teleprompter-in-Chief and say hey, he said it, not me....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 12:15:21 AM »
Yeah, well you know what?  "We're a nation of laws, but I don't feel like paying taxes anymore."
"We're a nation of laws, but I don't think I should have to follow ANY DAMN LAW I DON'T WANT TO!"   And I'll just point to the Teleprompter-in-Chief and say hey, he said it, not me....

You aren't a member of a protected class so that won't work for you.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 06:21:19 AM »
We'll become more like Russia or 3rd world shitholes where there is a thriving black market in everyday/essential items.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:18 PM »
Venezuela/Argentina/Zimbabwe, here we come !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: We're a Nation of Laws, But...
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »
You aren't a member of a protected class so that won't work for you.

Doesn't matter. Taxes and most other criminal systems work because most people follow them.

Massive disobedience would collapse the system, protected class or not.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Re: Re: We're a Nation of Laws, But...
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:46 AM »

Massive disobedience would collapse the system, protected class or not.

You say it like a bad thing.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »
I don't want the USA to collapse.   :mad:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
I don't want the USA to collapse.   :mad:

It's going to happen, sooner or later.  Probably sooner.  I don't believe there will be any stopping it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
It's going to happen, sooner or later.  Probably sooner.  I don't believe there will be any stopping it.

I've held that opinion for quite a while now.
The US is in a death spiral, there is no stopping it at this point.
It's a done deal, the only thing we don't know is how soon and how deep the crater will be.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: We're a Nation of Laws, But...
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
I've held that opinion for quite a while now.
The US is in a death spiral, there is no stopping it at this point.
It's a done deal, the only thing we don't know is how soon and how deep the crater will be.
On the bright side we could break out in balkans like civl war in a great sorting and blood letting.  Brighter than some other options we have seen the last 100 years at least.

I suspect us.gov would as effective rooting out domestic opposition as they have been in iraq and astan.  With the added excitement of having fed.gov employees and their families living in the war zone.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 03:03:41 AM »
I suspect us.gov would as effective rooting out domestic opposition as they have been in iraq and astan.  With the added excitement of having fed.gov employees and their families living in the war zone.

For some reason I have the feeling that in such an eventuality, our benevolent dear leaders would have fewer qualms about collateral damage when making hellfire missile strikes on US Citizens Anti-government domestic terrorists than what we see in the middle east.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
For some reason I have the feeling that in such an eventuality, our benevolent dear leaders would have fewer qualms about collateral damage when making hellfire missile strikes on US Citizens Anti-government domestic terrorists than what we see in the middle east.

OTOH, a substantial part (certainly not all) of the population WILL have qualms about supporting such acts here at home.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »

Well, the question is, how do the people who will actually be firing those missiles feel about it -- those guys who swore an allegiance to the Constitution and to protect from all enemies foreign and domestic?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Well, the question is, how do the people who will actually be firing those missiles feel about it -- those guys who swore an allegiance to the Constitution and to protect from all enemies foreign and domestic?

Irrelevant. 

Authoritarian regimes never lack for hired help when they are perceived as strong and/or on top.  Of those currently serving, some will toe the ruling class's line, some will not.  Replacements will be found for the latter after they have been purged.  Only way to prevent this is to show the regime as weak or impose personal costs on the hired help.

It is not like this sort of thing never happened before.  Expect the ruling class to increasingly rely on those ethnically alien to its enemies.  It is the way of multiethnic empires to use one alien group to slaughter the other in turn. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
I don't want the USA to collapse.   :mad:

If the modern political system of the US is immoral and unconstitutional, doesn't it deserve it though?