Author Topic: Need car advice, mid-size sedan?  (Read 3009 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Need car advice, mid-size sedan?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 08:15:54 PM »
Update: actually got it done. Local small town ford dealer had a new 2014 fusion with nice equipment options. Wife drove it and liked it a lot. Dealer was reasonable and motivated to sell his last '14 on the lot. Since we don't trade every couple years the model year won't hurt us and there weren't any significant changes in models.

Well what was the price?

Now, video of the "How Many Hookers Will This Car Hold" challenge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW0NtG7X8Ys

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »
Well what was the Price?

$27k for an SE model with heated leather, moonroof, black wheels, etc very nicely equipped, the sticker was 31.5k.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Hyundai may well be the best deal in cars going right now with their good quality, decent prices, and incredible warranty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
Oh.

Never mind.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
Since you got what you wanted....

I very well may be looking for a new sedan in the next few months.  Used would make the most sense.  Commute might be more than doubling, my truck is paid for and it's mileage is getting up there.  I'd prefer not to put those kinds of miles on my truck. 
Best bang for the buck for under $10k?  Hopefully under 50k miles.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Or compact even.  Thoughts on the Mazda 3?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4901177176.html
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »

I very well may be looking for a new sedan in the next few months.  Used would make the most sense.  Commute might be more than doubling, my truck is paid for and it's mileage is getting up there.  I'd prefer not to put those kinds of miles on my truck. 

Used Nissan or Mazda sedan.  Mazda6 or Mazda3 (Ford Fusion or Focus) .  Nissan Altima or Nissan Sentra.  Maybe Nissan Versa.  The Toyota and Hondas in thes price range tend to have a gazillion miles.  They command way too much used.

FYI, my wife's 2012 base model Mazda6 with I-4 and 6sp manual is rated at 34mpg or so highway.  Not sure if we ever got that, as my wife likes to put her foot in it.

Edmunds puts my wife's car at around $10k if it had 50k miles.  

Mazda3 can be a pretty sweet drive.  M6 with I4 and 6sp manual is no slouch and fun to drive, but is much larger.  Depends on what you want.

On your link: Title Status is "SALVAGE."  RUN, do not walk, away from that particular car.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »

You should be able to get something like a Ford Focus, one of the Mazdas, a Nissan, or a Hyundai in that price range and in decent condition with little trouble.

8k or so should net you a nice whip. 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
Focus can be hit or miss.  I've heard all kinds of good things about KIA's.  And the seem to be in your price range.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »
I used to work in a dealership that sold Kias. While they, and sister company Hyundai have made great strides the last couple of years, I wouldn't be overly confident in a used one in your stated price range. The Mazda 3 is a great car in the years you'll be looking at. Shared platform with the Volvo S40 so you get refinement above what you're actually paying for. The Mitsubishi gallant is another model to look at in that price range. Then you have the Fiat 500. New'ish here; but its been out in Europe for quite a while. Got my ex into one about 2 years ago and its a great little car. Solid platform, decent handling, and surprisingly quick. There's also more room in them then you'd think.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
We've had a 2007 Mazda3 and now a 2015 Mazda3 (both were the hatchback versions), and have been happy with both. The 2014-2015+ model years can get over 40 MPG highway if you get the 2.0 liter engine, and has a good bit of pick-up while being that efficient.

Part of me wishes I could have gotten the 2.5 liter engine for more power, but I couldn't justify another few thousand for it and it loses a bit of fuel economy obviously, and the 2.0 liter's no slouch. Reliability has been good. The number of trim levels can be confusing (5-6, with two different technology packages than essentially makes it 7-8), but allows you to go super economical under $19K, or fully loaded $30K+, if you bought new.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:34:17 AM by Marnoot »