Author Topic: "Winter" in Alabama  (Read 4558 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
"Winter" in Alabama
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, last week we got 6" of snow here, and the city was pretty much shut down for two days. We didn't even get mail.

This morning there was 1/2" or less of snow with some freezing rain. The roads are icy, and there's been no traffic. The post office is closed again (I'm waiting for a certified letter).

I was supposed to go to Atlanta today, but I wouldn't want to be on the interstate with people who don't know how to drive on slippery roads.

It was funny last week. Now it's getting to be irritating. We need Al Gore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: "Winter" in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

...unless we get 1/2" of snow, then we're taking the day off.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »
I was supposed to go to Atlanta today, but I wouldn't want to be on the interstate with people who don't know how to drive on slippery roads.

It was funny last week. Now it's getting to be irritating. We need Al Gore.

We got about 1" of snow coming down on Milwaukee Tuesday morning during morning commute. It took me 1hr40min to drive my 26 miles to work (down I43 to the East Side), several accidents along the way. You aren't missing much.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »
We got about 1" of snow coming down on Milwaukee Tuesday morning during morning commute. It took me 1hr40min to drive my 26 miles to work (down I43 to the East Side), several accidents along the way. You aren't missing much.

Huh? That amount has always been just about an everyday thing.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
Snow in the south is different than snow in the north.  I would never have guessed it, and it makes no sense, but I've seen it too often to doubt it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
Huh? That amount has always been just about an everyday thing.

Not this year.
If people go a week without snow, they forget how to drive in it. :facepalm:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Snow in the south is different than snow in the north.  I would never have guessed it, and it makes no sense, but I've seen it too often to doubt it.

This is the first time in four years or so that I've seen any snow here that didn't melt by noon. Usually it melts within an hour. There were two years where we got no snow at all.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »

The video of the 193 car pileup in Michigan is my answer to those who sneer at us here in the South for not caring to tangle with the snow/ice we get. People drive stupid everywhere, and it has consequences. 

The reason we shut down is it's easier and safer to close stuff up for a few days each year rather than deal with it as is done in the North. We don't have a large number of plow trucks, we don't have salt to put down on the roads (and we don't want it at all!) and so on.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:34:56 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »
The reason we shut down is it's easier and safer to close stuff up for a few days each year rather than deal with it as is done in the North. We don't have a large number of plow trucks, we don't have salt to put down on the roads (and we don't want it at all!) and so on.

This makes sense to me. If you only get snow/ice three times a year, closing everything down is not so bad. If you get it constantly, then you have to cope with it, so you don't spend half the winter snowed in.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
Having lived both, I've come to find that there are just an many accidents and just as many fools who have no idea how to drive in it. The only real difference is the areas where snow is more frequent and sticks around you have the equipment to make it more manageable.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
I just deleted a rant about northerners being jerks about winter weather in the south.

what boomhauer and lupinus said.

We don't live in a place that spends half the year imitating an ice berg, so don't expect us to act like it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
I just deleted a rant about northerners being jerks about winter weather in the south.

what boomhauer and lupinus said.

We don't live in a place that spends half the year imitating an ice berg, so don't expect us to act like it.

What part of the south are you in?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 08:23:07 PM »
Wow what a horrific snow storm you had.
We just pilled about 9 more inched on the the heap today. I stayed home as to not deal with all the idiots on the road.
I cleared my driveway and 2 others. Went out a little while ago to clean up and the dam chute blew off the snow blower. 2 for the low tonight then 45 by Saturday.

I don't know if its true or not but if a mail man gets the mail truck stuck in the snow they have to pay for the tow.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: "Winter" in Alabama
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »
What part of the south are you in?

Virginia.  We get more snow than the deep south, but much less than when I lived in the Midwest. MUCH less.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 10:09:46 PM »
I saw some epic bad winter driving in Utah.  Speeding usually being the culprit, with following too closely being a close second.

Most of the south rarely experiences real winter events.  When they do, it's short lived.  Therefore, the snow removal equipment is expensive and unnecessary.  But then, when there is a full blown winter storm, they're screwed without plows and salt/sand spreaders.

That said, so many northerners talk so much *expletive deleted*it about southerners in the snow.  Yet again, I've seen some really dumb stuff north of the Mason Dixon during winter storms.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »
I saw some epic bad winter driving in Utah.  Speeding usually being the culprit, with following too closely being a close second.

Most of the south rarely experiences real winter events.  When they do, it's short lived.  Therefore, the snow removal equipment is expensive and unnecessary.  But then, when there is a full blown winter storm, they're screwed without plows and salt/sand spreaders.

That said, so many northerners talk so much *expletive deleted*it about southerners in the snow.  Yet again, I've seen some really dumb stuff north of the Mason Dixon during winter storms.

Having lived through winters in both Connecticut and Alabama the only difference I see between Yanks driving in snow and Rebs driving in snow is that Yanks think they can drive in snow intelligently, but can't, and Rebs wonder if they can, try and find out they can't.   

In other words, six of one, half dozen the other.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »
Last Saturday, I got to see a car fly off the highway, doing a 180 in fresh powder. He started to lose control as he approached us in the oncoming lane, and then swung around behind us. We went back to check on him, and I was surprised that no one else stopped. The thing was, he was at the bottom of the embankment, and the 6' high weeds had totally swallowed the car. Or maybe the others passers-by just thought he got what he deserved.

Sorry, though, it was not an SUV, and did not "turtle." Just a young guy without much sense.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 12:49:37 AM »
For the northerners that like to abuse us in the south about how we handle winter weather.
I'll offer you a trade, we'll take an extra week of your winter crap if you'll take one our "110° every day for a week" weeks.
:)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:02 AM »
For the northerners that like to abuse us in the south about how we handle winter weather.
I'll offer you a trade, we'll take an extra week of your winter crap if you'll take one our "110° every day for a week" weeks.

I'm not complaining about the handling of the snow. It's only the second time in four or so years. I came down here to escape the 6 months of frozen tundra.

I also don't complain about the heat. The locals do, but I never do.

BTW, Virginia is about the same latitude as lower Illinois. Is that really south? ;)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 06:10:30 AM »

Here in Northern VA, near DC, our yearly temps swing from lows in single digits this time of year to highs in the triple digits come August.  The latter also occurring with upwards of 100% humidity.  So, no, we don't need your stinkin' badges heat.

A couple summers ago, daily highs ran in the very high 90s to low 100s with 90%+ humidity for a few weeks.  Even at night, it never got below the mid 80s. 

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 06:35:36 AM »
We call that summer around here. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »
North texas has gotton more ice and snow later in the season than i have ever experienced around here.  It is the same thing every time.  Ice followed by more ice or ice followed by snow.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
We call that summer around here. =D

That's not overly unusual for us either.  The last couple summers have been unusually cool.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
You all could join us in CA. It's gonna be in the high 70s today.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 09:59:54 AM »
We had 8-12 inches of snow on the ground here last week. Temperatures just shot up this week and all that snow (aside from the plowed piles) was gone by Thursday...

At which point we got 3 inches of snow on a frozen ground. Which, looking at the forecast will likely be gone by Sunday.

This has been an odd winter.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought