Author Topic: French Press vs American Jar Coffee  (Read 4337 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
French Press vs American Jar Coffee
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
I love my French press coffee maker.  It has a 1.7L/0.5gal capacity.  Hardly ever use the auto drip deal anymore.  I make roughly one batch every two days and refrigerate the first day's remains.  I like to put in the dishwasher between batches as it is a pain to wash.  I have been thinking of buying another to rotate because sometimes I can not coordinate a full dishwasher and my need to clean my french press.  Also, the glass is a bit delicate.  I heat the water in an electric hot pot.

Enter the American half gallon wide mouth mason jar!  I have several of these and use them for all sorts of stuff.  A fellow APSer turned me on to reusable plastic lids, making them nifty and handy. 

I was in a tight spot one morning.  No remnant coffee from the previous day and a dirty french press mocking me in the dishwasher.  What to do?  Hand wash the french press?  Done that before.  Not sure I like the combo of hot water and imperfectly cleaned apparatus.  Hey, how about I toss the coffee grounds in the half gal mason jar and hot water after it?  Sure, why not?  Now, stir them and wait a few minutes.  Heck, I can stir with a real metal spoon and not worry about busting it!  If I then refrigerate the deal and drink it the next AM, the grounds will have fallen to the bottom and I can pour without getting grounds in my glass or mug, just like home brewed bear & the yeast.  If I want it right now, I pour through a paper towel and have at it.  Either way, remnants get the lid and tossed in the refrigerator.

Not sure why I never thought of this before, it is so simple.  And six half gallon wide mouth mason jars are cheaper than one french press.

FTR, my favorite morning drink is very strong cold coffee and whole milk, about 2:1 ratio.  Making the french press / american jar coffee the night before and letting it steep in the refrigerator gets out all possible coffee goodness from the grounds.  Hot coffee and milk is good too, but I got used to the cold stuff when the kiddos were younger and I did not want to scald the little buggers by accident.

http://www.amazon.com/Half-Gallon-Wide-Mouth-Canning/dp/B000IOFI96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425780048&sr=8-1&keywords=half+gallon+mason+jar

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Plastic-Storage-8-Count/dp/B000SSN3L2/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_y
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: French Press vs American Jar Coffee
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
How about something like this?

I've been thinking about one for home because I want just a cup of coffee every now and then, wife doesn't drink coffee so I hate making a pot on those days.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
French Press?  WAY too much work for my one cup per day.  I just fire up the Keurig maching.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »
Rooster, I wonder if you should try the coffee toddy approach: https://toddycafe.com/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
French Press?  WAY too much work for my one cup per day.  I just fire up the Keurig maching.

So you like expensive instant coffee.  Got it.

Rooster, I wonder if you should try the coffee toddy approach: https://toddycafe.com/

I tried cold brew years ago when I got a Toddy kit cheap.  The coffee always tasted flat to me. 

My own coffee habit is fulfilled by a 32oz Thermos french press for when I have time or T-Sac Filter Bags when I don't have time or only one a cup (usually after having a full press pot). I don't store brewed coffee, I just leave it in the press pot.  It doesn't seem to make it overly strong, but would probably make a purist cry.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
My coffee on the weekdays is courtesy of a one liter french press.  I have four of them, so I put it into the dishwasher when I am done.

For me, coffee is right up there with life is too short to drink bad beer.  This is why I roast my own beans, use a Rocky grinder and have a Pasquini Livia espresso machine.  My coffee at home pretty much exceeds anything I can get commercially.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »

Bought that and gave it away.  WAY too much fuss.  Were I to do cold brew again, I would just toss the grounds in with cold water in a half gallon mason jar for 24 hours and strain with a paper towel or cheese cloth.  Matter of fact, I did that already.  And, like mtnbkr wrote, it has no punch.  If I were really acid-sensitive it would be attractive.

If I owned four french presses, I would not worry with the american jar method.  I already have the half gal mason jars, so I don;t think I will buy more presses.  I think I will go straight jar method and break out the press for company.

Mannlicher, you can buy cheap single-serving french presses. 

I made some hot american jar coffee last night and let it steep, then put it in the fridge.  Poured off about 12oz and added some milk and tossed in the microwave.  Pretty decent brew if you start with decent coffee.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
Some years ago, I tired of broken glass press pots and bought a Frieling double walled stainless 1 liter unit.  In getting the link, I was surprised to see they have nearly tripled in price, but think it still worthwhile, though I note the much cheaper units in the "also bought" field.  My favored mugs are just a bit larger than ½ liter and I find the pot keeps the second half drinkably hot more than long enough for me to finish a pot without resorting to the microwave.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
Some years ago, I tired of broken glass press pots and bought a Frieling double walled stainless 1 liter unit.  In getting the link, I was surprised to see they have nearly tripled in price, but think it still worthwhile, though I note the much cheaper units in the "also bought" field.  My favored mugs are just a bit larger than ½ liter and I find the pot keeps the second half drinkably hot more than long enough for me to finish a pot without resorting to the microwave.

I have an older version of the Thermos french press I used because the glass presses cooled my coffee way too fast between the first and second cup. It's also great for camping. I think I paid like twenty bucks for it at the time.

That said, for home, all I use anymore is a $15 stainless stovetop percolator. I have a Keurig, but haven't used it in nearly a year. Not because of the big enviro "k-cups are evil" thing that's been going on, but just because I've wanted to simplify. A Keurig is still a good choice for an office, or your mechanic's waiting room, or for a home where maybe everyone has different tastes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
Ben, I have the Thermos version as well.  It'll keep coffee hot for hours.  Sometimes, when I know I'm getting up super early, I'll pre-heat the pot with boiling water, then make a normal pot of coffee.  I'll press the plunger before going to bed and have strong, hot coffee without the wait when I get up 5-6hrs later.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 02:43:40 PM »
BTW, for you press pot users, this is a great kettle:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086UJQN8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It heats water to boiling faster than anything I've seen, fast enough that I don't even walk away anymore.  The temp control is a nice feature as well.  Because my Thermos pot holds heat so long, I don't want boiling water when I make my coffee, else I won't be drinking coffee for a long while.  I set the pot to cut off just short of boiling, then let the grinds steep for 3-5min.  I'm able to drink my 1st cup of coffee 5-10min after pouring it into my cup rather than the 20min if making coffee at full boil.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
Ben, I have the Thermos version as well.  It'll keep coffee hot for hours.  Sometimes, when I know I'm getting up super early, I'll pre-heat the pot with boiling water, then make a normal pot of coffee.  I'll press the plunger before going to bed and have strong, hot coffee without the wait when I get up 5-6hrs later.

Chris

Holy crap they've gone up in price! I just checked my Amazon history and mine was $23. But yeah, they're superb for keeping the coffee hot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
I like my french press. And when I brew a cup, I use either the french press or a coffee dripper. Both work well, the dripper is easy but I will admit the press gets a better flavor.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
I thought this thread was about the French Press corps hating on American coffee or something.   =|
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
I thought this thread was about the French Press corps hating on American coffee or something.   =|

Freedom press!