Author Topic: win small, lose big  (Read 2353 times)

tokugawa

• friend
win small, lose big
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:59:51 PM »
Apparently the atf has temporarily withdrawn the green tip ban after much comment..

In other news,  the SCOTUS in a unanimous ruling, said federal agencies no longer have to announce a proposed rule change OR have a comment period on a change. They can just "do it".

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/235054-supreme-court-sides-with-administration-in-rulemaking-challenge

So it looks like they now have a completely free hand to issue whatever rules they want.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: win small, lose big
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
Just read the opinion in Perez v. Mortgage Bankers Association.  Just want to clarify the holding was addressing interpretations of rules, not the creation or change of the rules themselves. 

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-1041_0861.pdf

It's not a major difference, but an important detail on some issues.  With BATFE, considering interpretations of rules on things like the SIG arm brace, the ability to change interpretations on a whim is significant, especially with the popularity of the arm brace and the number of pistols now featuring that device.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
Well this ought to make a few people feel like dumb asses that over paid for that stuff in the last week.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:59 AM »
The Iowa House just passed a (mostly) pro-gun omnibus bill. Among other things it legalizes suppressors.

I am heading to the MN Capitol in seven hours to try and do the same thing in the House Public Safety Committee.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »
Well this ought to make a few people feel like dumb asses that over paid for that stuff in the last week.

Nah, just ahead of the curve for the next panic.... =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:11:47 PM »
Just read the opinion in Perez v. Mortgage Bankers Association.  Just want to clarify the holding was addressing interpretations of rules, not the creation or change of the rules themselves. 

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-1041_0861.pdf

It's not a major difference, but an important detail on some issues.  With BATFE, considering interpretations of rules on things like the SIG arm brace, the ability to change interpretations on a whim is significant, especially with the popularity of the arm brace and the number of pistols now featuring that device.

It does get them out of the need for the comment periods etc. but it doesn't get them out of the court challenges. If anything, it brings them on quicker.

And the ATF already has quite a few court challenges lining up against them, the '86 Machine Gun freeze/Hughes Amendment, the 41p rule on NFA trusts and CLEO sign-off, and now the Sig Brace.

Adding a fourth with the M855 ban, one they were on extremely shaky ground legally on, some might say quicksand... it just wasn't wise.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
Looks like the ATF wants to double down on the stupid. Now they are claiming ALL AR-15 ammo is a danger to cops because of the AR pistols.

In a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, ATF Director B. Todd Jones said all types of the 5.56 military-style ammo used by shooters pose a threat to police as more people buy the AR-15-style pistols.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/12/atf-raises-new-concerns-about-ar-15-ammo/?intcmp=latestnews
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »
Looks like the ATF wants to double down on the stupid. Now they are claiming ALL AR-15 ammo is a danger to cops because of the AR pistols.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/12/atf-raises-new-concerns-about-ar-15-ammo/?intcmp=latestnews

Let them double down, that runs them directly into a miller and heller two-fer.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:02:19 PM »

They KNOW that's reaching too far. And that any notion of this is DOA with the GOP, and a fair number of rural/Southern-Western Democrats too. I'm telling you all, this is their way of looking good to the Chicago/East Coast Exec Branch people giving them the orders to do whatever anti-RKBA rule-making they can, while simultaneously washing their hands of this whole mess that was going to get the ATF's ass handed to it in court.

This is like a husband "accidentally" leaving the red sock in with the whites so his wife will stop asking him to do the laundry.
I promise not to duck.