Author Topic: Hey Remember that "Conversation on Race" Starbucks wanted?  (Read 1572 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Hey Remember that "Conversation on Race" Starbucks wanted?
« on: March 20, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
From here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47573.0

Response: http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/jen-kuznicki/why-there-no-starbucks-coffee-house-selma

Summation: No Starbucks to be found in majority black areas.

So, how come you want to talk about race, but not serve black people, Starbucks?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Hey Remember that "Conversation on Race" Starbucks wanted?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »
Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, lives in Seattle and gets a lot of media attention.  It is my perception that Howard's main concern is that Starbucks makes money, and I wonder if site locations are chosen mainly with an eye towards economic demographics and discretionary income.  I am certain there are many middle-class and well-off areas with a majority population of minorities, and do they not have Starbucks? 

I can think of a lot of poor white towns in Washington state that do not have a Starbucks, but in the wealthy Eastside area, home of the dot-com millionaires, there are scads.  I suspect Howard is going where the money is.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
Besides, if you are the wrong ethnicity, and patronize Starbucks, you might get accused of "acting white."  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:50:32 PM »
Excellent.
Methinks I'll go to Fourbuks for a hand lettered cuppa Joe and axe "Why no Fourbuks in da hood?"

It'd be worth the 3 extra buks
7-11 was a part time job.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Hey Remember that "Conversation on Race" Starbucks wanted?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, lives in Seattle and gets a lot of media attention.  It is my perception that Howard's main concern is that Starbucks makes money, and I wonder if site locations are chosen mainly with an eye towards economic demographics and discretionary income.  I am certain there are many middle-class and well-off areas with a majority population of minorities, and do they not have Starbucks? 

I can think of a lot of poor white towns in Washington state that do not have a Starbucks, but in the wealthy Eastside area, home of the dot-com millionaires, there are scads.  I suspect Howard is going where the money is.

Of course economics is the answer.

But you're a racist for pointing that out.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
There is a Starbucks in the Target store a mile from where Michael Brown lived. That's in Jennings, which is 90% black. There are two stand-alone Starbucks stores just a few miles away.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=starbucks+ferguson&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=lZ4MVcnsIJK0sASzlIHoAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&output=classic&dg=brw

The one on Lindbergh, just north of I-270 is not in some lily-white part of town. Hazelwood is 30% black. The one at the intersection of 270 and 170 (2 miles from the Ferguson city limits) is in Florissant, which is 27% black. I've seen plenty (27% or more) of black people at both locations. Heck, you can go to the Cabela's, in the mall on the outskirts of Hazelwood, and you won't exactly be lost in a sea of honkeys.

Ya know, Starbucks will be criticized if it's not building stores in poor and/or black neighborhoods, and it will be criticized if it does "gentrify" those neighborhoods. In either case, Starbucks does not offer much in the way of fresh vegetables or fruits, so it is doing nothing to eliminate "food deserts."  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:32:58 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
Seems like the Starbucks "conversation" could just as easily be used as a KKK entrance exam.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
Selected responses:

What is a Facebook stream? I actually don't know what that is.

Why would my racial views "evolve," or change in any way from those of my parents? Are you suggesting that my parents are racist, or that I'm racist? I'm sure that my parents' racial views (or lack thereof) are more enlightened than your racial views will ever be, Starbucks.

That's an easy one. America's greatest racial challenge is the Democratic Party.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:53 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/starbucks-ends-race-coffee-cup-campaign-article-1.2158755

So according to the article, they're not ending it, but they're sort of ending it, but not really. I'm not sure I care to plumb the details.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 01:24:29 AM »
Well... all those sociology degrees working behind the counter will finally be put to some use.
I promise not to duck.