Author Topic: Speaking of grills...  (Read 1131 times)

brimic

• friends
Speaking of grills...
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »
I used a Weber propane grill for the last 15 years, left it behind after the divorce, and now that spring is near, I want to get a new grill.
I've been longing for cooking over charcoal, so a propane grill will not be my choice.

Looking at charcoal cookers, I noticed that all of the big box stores offer one form of Komado style grill or another. I'm intrigued with this type of grill. They are a bit spendy, but seem on par with a good propane grill.
Can anyone offer any insights on this type of grill- what to look for? What to avoid? Good experiences with them?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Speaking of grills...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
Castlekey has a Big Green Egg, another friend of mine has a different type.

Both LOVE them. They use them more as slow smokers/cookers for ribs, briskets, large chunks of pig, etc., and the results can be absolutely fantastic.

They're usually not quite as flexible when being used as a grill as you can't vary the height of the cooking surface above the charcoal.

But all around, were I looking for a new unit I'd seriously consider a komado type.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »
Let me suggest you look at the classic Weber kettle grill if you are interested in charcoal cooking.  It has the flexibility to do long, slow cooks using indirect heat, and faster cooks using direct heat.  I have one that has been in my family since 1988, so it will last you long enough to pay for itself.  And, if you go with any charcoal grill, get a chimney starter, and never buy lighter fluid.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-Silver-One-Touch-22-Inch/dp/B00004RALU/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1426707196&sr=1-1&keywords=weber+grill
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
We have used the heck out of a weber classic delux I think for almost 20 years. The leg sockets are rusting or wearing out but it still works. It has the large round grate with flip up sides so I can slow cook with indirect heat and add charcoal without removing the protein. I like the big green egg and the knock offs but my wife doesn't like smoked meat like I do. She's ok with just grilled so that's mostly how we use it. I have roasted turkey breast or whole chicken or leg of lamb. My bro in law has a BGE and loves it.
I use a chimney and a few pages of newspaper, never fluid to start. I like kings ford original or competition briquettes depending on what for dinner.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
I started using the kings ford with the hickory chunks embedded for smoking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
I went with an AKORN Kooker from Menards. There is another komado grill for around $700 (Visions? I think) that got really good reviews, but I just couldn't get myself to spend that much at this time.

http://www.menards.com/main/spring-fever/grills-smokers/big-red-kamado-grill/p-1509794-c-10141.htm

Barack Obama

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:15 PM »
Splurged on a Kamodo Joe last summer, and the are the real deal for long and slow.  I use a Lion stainless propane grill for my hot and slow, but I discommend it because of the VERY uneven heating.  $1500 and it is the worst for hot and cool spots I've ever used, including $99 big box single burners.  At least I'll be cussing it for decades to come...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
Splurged on a Kamodo Joe last summer, and the are the real deal for long and slow.

It took me about 4 dry runs, but I finally got it down last night.
First run was -pile lump charcoal, ignite. I couldn't control temps below 450 degrees or so, opened the vents and it shot up to 800+ degrees- it turns into a blast furnace when the vents are opened. Going to have to try searing steaks sometime soon.
Second run- piled charcoal, lit, kept vents partially open. I couldn't keep the temperature low, it ran up to about 350, then stopped.
3rd run- set up 'ring of fire' briquet charcoal arrangement, lit one end of ring. Temperatures climbed to 280 degrees, before it got snuffed by me trying to valve it back.
4th run- took bottom vent apart. cut a gasket from a roll of automotive gasket I had laying around. Put gasket between bottom air vent and control slider. Ran 'ring of fire' arrangement again- kept it within 5 degrees of 225 for 4 hours last night before I shut it off and went to bed.

I have ribs thawing out at home now, making them low and slow tomorrow as my next experiment.

Barack Obama