Author Topic: X-Files returns  (Read 6882 times)

JN01

• friend
Re: X-Files returns
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »
I think Babylon 5 was the last show with a long multi year story line that I actually followed.  It had more cool SciFi stuff than X Files:Aliens.

B5 was a great show in spite of the so-so CGI.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer at least explained it by the town being on the Hellmouth, but Sleepy Hollow? That was more like Scooby and Scrappy Doo meet the Harlem Globetrotters kind of BS.

That and things seeking out the Vampire Slayer for various reasons.

FBI agents works well because, like said, a new location every week keeps the 'average' weirdness index low enough to be believable.  Especially if you have several teams/forces constantly slapping down weirdness that acts up.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
B5 had better character development and plot lines than any of the Star Trek TV shows.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »

Because the best scenes were two people in a room, getting run through the wringer.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »
"Home" (the Peacock Family episode) had a Sheriff Andy Taylor.  No other references to Andy Griffith that I'm aware of.

OK, brain  fart.  At my age they happen.    ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 12:38:18 AM »
B5 had better character development and plot lines than any of the Star Trek TV shows.

It was pretty good but not .... quite .... THAT good.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
It was pretty good but not .... quite .... THAT good.
I don't think Star Trek had any scenes to compare with Vir's final scene with Mr. Morden . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
I don't think Star Trek had any scenes to compare with Vir's final scene with Mr. Morden . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY

Yes ...and I've always been very thankful for that. :laugh:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
My favorite episode is Jose Chung's From Outer Space

It has been so long since I've watched an X-Files episode; I wonder if it holds up to time?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:58:17 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
It has been so long since I've watched an X-Files episode; I wonder if it hold up to time?

They don't.  I tried watching them on netflix a few months ago. 

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »
They don't.  I tried watching them on netflix a few months ago.  

Chris

Some of them do. My wife just rewatched the whole series.

And only tangentially related: For those who don't know, Magnum P.I. is on Netflix. If only they'd get Simon and Simon...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:01:26 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
IMO, B5 did very well with the special effects budget it had.  If the show is good, you can overlook a little unreality.  At least it was a bit before the current trend of great looking CGI that is used so badly it makes the whole movie seem unreal.  

I remember the B5 plot and story more fondly than Star Trek.  The only one I thought was as good were the early seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise.  To me, the original Star Trek didn't age well either.  It isn't quite as bad as watching old Rifleman episodes with its heavy moral preaching.  I liked that show as a kid, but can hardly stand it now. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:41:47 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
My favorite episode is Jose Chung's From Outer Space

It has been so long since I've watched an X-Files episode; I wonder if it holds up to time?
My favorite, too. It's fun seeing Jesse Ventura, mr conspiracy himself, playing a man in black trying to suppress the truth.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »
B5 was my absolute favorite sci fi series. Star Trek can't hold a candle to B5. And I'm a Trek nut.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
Star Trek had some great moments, but with so many episodes over several series, some of them were bound to be crap.

Battlestar Galactica (the remake) was a great sci-fi drama as well.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 12:07:12 AM »
B5 was my absolute favorite sci fi series. Star Trek can't hold a candle to B5. And I'm a Trek nut.
  :-*

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 12:23:47 AM »
I think it was the first X-Files episode and series premier . It was about a werewolf. The kids were still pretty little and we had just gotten them new bikes that day. After we had watch the show I told them to get their bikes moved to the back yard.
I slipped out the back door and when they opened the privacy fence gate and walked their bikes into the dark back yard I growled and snarled at them. My daughter kind of threw her bike toward me and ran. My son dropped his bike ran in place and screamed .

I think they are still mad at me over that.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
X-Files was interesting early on, but as the series continued it became increasingly incoherent, almost as if the script was being written by someone heavily involved with what is now legal for recreational use in Colorado.  ;)

I wouldn't mind a quality reboot of Kolchak:The Night Stalker. I have to specify "quality" as the original series with Darren McGavin in the mid '70s was pretty good, but the reprise that came out in 2005 was downright awful.

BTW, ever see one of those "real" ghosthunter or monster hunter TV shows? Looks like a bunch of frat boys indulging their favorite adult BEvERage on Halloween decided to make a joke video with a cheap camcorder . . . and got that nonsense picked up as a TV series!  :facepalm:

Darren McGavin played in an episode once. =)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
Darren McGavin played in an episode once. =)

Yes.   
The X-File producers had asked him to reprise his Carl Kolchak role, but McGavin refused to do it, but did agree to play a retired FBI agent who'd been an original X-File agent.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
My favorite episodes tend to be the more kooky ones.
Some of the notable ones that I liked, it's been a really long time since I've watched the series. The one where Mulder is on a WW2 passenger liner in WW2.
The one where they are at a mansion that is supposed to be haunted by two lovers who killed themselves on Christmas eve.
Also the one about the guy who built, and his life was like, a Rube Goldberg machine.
I know that there are plenty of others that I really liked but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

brimic

• friends
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
My favorite, too. It's fun seeing Jesse Ventura, mr conspiracy himself, playing a man in black trying to suppress the truth.

OMG. I forgot about that one. That was hilarious.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:55 PM »
They don't.  I tried watching them on netflix a few months ago. 

Chris

Yeah, I saw an x-files rerun somewhere recently, maybe netflix, it didn't hold my attention.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
Watch this 2.5 minute introduction; it's hilarious:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIwBNeoneng

I think the series was doomed because the pilot episode was about terrorists flying a plane into the World Trade Center -- IIRC, just a couple of months before it happened in real life.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
Watch this 2.5 minute introduction; it's hilarious:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIwBNeoneng

I think the series was doomed because the pilot episode was about terrorists flying a plane into the World Trade Center -- IIRC, just a couple of months before it happened in real life.

The Lone Gunmen was clever, but it didn't go belly-up because of any similarities to 9/11.  They made good occasional guest characters on The X Files but they just couldn't build enough of an audience when on their own.
IIRC the characters were killed off in an episode of  The X Files.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
OMG. I forgot about that one. That was hilarious.

Jesse Ventura and the other man in black was Alex Trebek  =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.