Author Topic: teachers have "an expectation of pivacy" in the classroom?  (Read 1753 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
teachers have "an expectation of pivacy" in the classroom?
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:35 PM »
http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/03/florida-school-suspends-11-year-old-girl-for-video-recording-teacher-threatening-to-hurt-other-student/

An 11-year-old Florida girl was suspended from school after she recorded her fifth-grade teacher threatening and bullying other students.

The evidence Brianna Cooper recorded was enough to get the teacher fired from Samuel Gaines Academy in Fort Pierce, about two hours north of Miami.

But administrators say it was also enough to earn the student a five-day suspension.

After all, they claim, the teacher, had an expectation of privacy in the classroom.*

But how much privacy can a public school teacher expect in a large class filled with students, most of them carrying smart phones?

Do not get caught up in the red herring about kids carrying smart phones.

A school is a public place (although there may be some hoops to jump through to gain admittance).

Teachers are state agents.*

Teachers teaching in a public school are state agents performing their duty in a public place.*

I'm going to guess the teacher thought she was performing some teacherly duty such as trying to maintain/regain discipine.*

I'm not going to get into  the legal concept of the duty of a citizen to report official misconduct and present all the available evidence they have for making a charge of misconduct.

Cooper says she gave the recording to a teacher. Then, she says she was called to the principal’s office and suspended.
Faulkner says the school told her recording the audio without the teacher knowing is against the law.

Wonder how much they will settle for when they realize that 1) the Florida wiretap law is not applicable; and 2) taking thje video is not against the law.

[popcorn]

stay safe.

eta - FL law on wiretapping explained at http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/florida-recording-law 

* Note the "Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard" exception to the 2-party structure.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:29:13 PM by vaskidmark »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: teachers have "an expectation of pivacy" in the classroom?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
Expectation of privacy my ass...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:55 PM »
A teacher interacting with one or two students in front of twenty other students does not spell "expectation of privacy" to me.

I think Skid's analysis is pretty much spot on.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
 :rofl:  Nice try, Gaines Academy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:08 AM »
It's kind of scary to think that so many blithering idiots have been charged with educating the children of this country.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:51 AM »
Hope the court system comes down hard on the district, the principal, and the teacher.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
I kind of hope that the ACLU picks this up, for the student.

ETA: for the student.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:08:06 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »
I hope if they do it's not on the teachers side

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
Hope the court system comes down hard on the district, the principal, and the teacher.
Hopefully, there will be personal negative consequences for the principal.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
Expectation of privacy in a classroom full of students.  Now that's funny.    :rofl:

Sounds like someone once sat in part of a class on legal issues in schools, and fell asleep halfway through.  heard the phrase "expectation of privacy," not sure what it really means, so just throw it out there and look smart...

or not.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »
I hope if they do it's not on the teachers side

That's what I meant, ETA for clarification.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
It's a crap shoot it's the ACLU after all.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 04:29:17 PM »
I personally think all public school classrooms should be taped, and fully accessible to the parents via live web streaming.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
I personally think all public school classrooms should be taped, and fully accessible to the parents via live web streaming.

Two cameras:

1. On instructor, available to all to see.

2. On students, blocked for the most part due to them being (for hte most part) minors.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
Morons. Blithering morons
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.