Author Topic: Debt's too high - won't pay  (Read 9274 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Debt's too high - won't pay
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
Also, I think it was roo_ster on here who proposed an easy solution to this, assuming that just getting the feds out of the student loan game entirely is not an option right now. Keep the debt non-dischargeable, but make the college co-sign for the loan with an agreement that repaying it will be done solely with non-federal or state generated funds.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 08:21:48 PM »
I can't remember the last time I saw a hiring manager give a crap about a degree.

Chris

Unfortunately, sometimes to get to the manager you have to get past the HR first. And they have a degree on the list of requirements, and if you don't have it, your resume can be round-filed. They know jack about the work and can't really judge experience.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
Unfortunately, sometimes to get to the manager you have to get past the HR first. And they have a degree on the list of requirements, and if you don't have it, your resume can be round-filed. They know jack about the work and can't really judge experience.

When I need to hire someone, I tell my recruiters what I need.  I write the the job req, I tell them what skills I want, what level of experience, etc.  They find candidates and send the resumes to me.

Then there are the times where I simply submit a candidate I know from previous experience and have that person hired. :)

Chris

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
If you had it in writing, you probably could have sued over them deciding to not take the credits.

I can also sue Dell to uphold the terms of the service contract on laptop repair.  But at the end of the day, the suit costs more than the damages and the time is gone forever.  

Like most big businesses they can steamroll on by with the bury the little guy practice and as long as they don't get so outrageous it is a sure enough win to be taken on contingency by a mass tort firm; the status quo is stable. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »

Seems to be pretty much how it works outside of IT... =|

I wouldn't have gotten hired as a park ranger without my bachelors degree. Did I actually use the degree, despite being required? No, it was all OTJ training and experience that ruled the day in that. I also witnessed many of my coworkers (who had been hired on as "temporary" assistant rangers and gained several years of experience) always get passed over for the entry level slots as a permanent employee because they did not have degrees, but a fresh out of school, no experience at all noob would get that job. It's a screwed up system, and it needs to be fixed.

Even some of the trades are getting bad about it. You gotta go to school to break into some of this stuff, despite not actually learning much in school other than the basics.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:26:31 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!