Author Topic: Bull loses party hat. It's not because of all the flack the locals created.  (Read 3131 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://www.newser.com/story/204702/restaurant-castrates-controversial-bull-statue.html

There's a picture there of the bull with it's party hat if you are wondering what it looked like.

An oversized bull penis at the center of a dispute in the small Utah town of Hurricane has been cut off—but restaurant owner Stephen Ward says it was because he decided he didn't like the look of it on the statue, not because he cares what his neighbors think. The owner of Barista's Restaurant tells the Spectrum that he told the city: "I am not removing the penis for you or because of your complaints. I don't like you. I'm doing it for me. I just decided it would look better without the weenie. And oh my God! It's beautiful." He tells the St. George News that he decided the conical penis—which sparked weeks of complaints from local residents—was "stupid because it looks like a party hat."

Locals complained loudly and widely about just about everything about him, his bull, and his restaurant.  His response?  "Any advertising is good advertising." (paraphrasing)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Oh the noes! People don't like having fake animal genitalia waved in their faces! Oh, teh theocruzzy!

=)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
I liked this - " latest in a series of disputes between Ward and local residents, who accuse him of charging too much for food and having poor business practices,"

How's he stay in business then?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
I liked this - " latest in a series of disputes between Ward and local residents, who accuse him of charging too much for food and having poor business practices,"

How's he stay in business then?

http://drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com/2015/03/sold.html

And besides, it's convenient.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I have a few friends who are regulars at the Stake & Sheikh on Old St. Charles Road. They insist on going there, and taking church groups there; despite the service being consistently slow, even at off hours.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Our bull still has his parts intact. Audubon, IA if you are ever in that town. Quite popular to get your picture while you are hanging from the testes.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Oh the noes! People don't like having fake animal genitalia waved in their faces! Oh, teh theocruzzy!

=)

Utah would be a theocracy if the one true church could get away with it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
"...the food is lousy and the portions are too small...."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Marnoot

• friend
Utah would be a theocracy if the one true church could get away with it.

Indeed. Our lust for power knows no bounds.

Burn the Gentiles! 10% of all citizen income to the Church! Mandatory fasting! Armed missionaries!

State where >50% of citizens are LDS. By extension, >50% of state legislators are LDS. Said legislators legislate as one would predict LDS legislators to legislate. News at 11.

If the LDS church releasing statements of position on moral issues = theocracy, then yes, we are a theocracy. Yes, many legislators that are active members of said religion will take said statements into consideration. Plenty that don't, and vote contrary, if you look at voting records.

If legislators were facing church discipline for voting "wrong", maybe you'd have a point about attempted theocracy, but they don't. I'm not claiming the LDS church doesn't influence Utah politics, but it desiring a theocracy is a bit far-fetched.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:04:28 AM by Marnoot »

Marnoot

• friend
re: the OP article. Can't say I'd have given it a second thought, but busybodies in small towns gotta busybody. Cranky restaurateurs gotta crank. Besides, this is the most exciting thing to happen in "herrkin" since a mildly interesting car wreck in 2006:

Calumus

• friend
Now you have to post a picture of that accident from the other angle...

Marnoot

• friend
Truck was traveling in the opposite direction it's facing. Hit the guardrail, flipped 180 and landed where you see it (http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/culvert.asp):

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
There's a few sketchy spots like that around the western states. 

the one that made a real impact on me was climbing kane creek trail in Moab.  You can see the rusted hulks of several rigs at the bottom of the canyon as you're climbing up a one way track.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Back to the OP:

Sounds like what we had here in Cincy, only with a busty female mannequin.

The owner made a lot of money off the controversy.

Unfortunately, the city’s busybodies have complained about Barbie’s body. Yes, they’re offended by a mannequin in a bikini. Tessel was forced to appear before Reading’s Design Review Board to get a permit for Barbie. The board ruled that the well-endowed mannequin could stay, but that she’d also have to stay “covered up.”
from: http://www.ihatethemedia.com/restaurant-bottom-line-improves-due-to-bikini-mannequin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYcoyIR2uw
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Truck was traveling in the opposite direction it's facing. Hit the guardrail, flipped 180 and landed where you see it (http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/culvert.asp):

Is that a house and barn I see at the bottom of that cliff?

stay safe.

Marnoot

• friend
I'm guessing it's trash that's floated down and out that flood culvert.

Marnoot

• friend
the one that made a real impact on me was climbing kane creek trail in Moab.  You can see the rusted hulks of several rigs at the bottom of the canyon as you're climbing up a one way track.

Probably not the same spot, as we weren't off-roading, but I remember seeing a sight like that when I was down in the Moab area with my family as a teenager. Roads that are narrow and looong sheer drop-off on one side skeev me out. Going on a family backpacking trip in the Uintas in the 90's, our van vapor locked when one side of the van looked darn-near flush with the cliff to my teenage eyes.

Naturally I was on that side of the van, so I got to sit there contemplating mortality for a good while while we waited for the van to start again. Probably not much actual danger since the van wasn't going anywhere, but aforementioned skeev-factor was high.

Regolith

• friend
Probably not the same spot, as we weren't off-roading, but I remember seeing a sight like that when I was down in the Moab area with my family as a teenager. Roads that are narrow and looong sheer drop-off on one side skeev me out. Going on a family backpacking trip in the Uintas in the 90's, our van vapor locked when one side of the van looked darn-near flush with the cliff to my teenage eyes.

Naturally I was on that side of the van, so I got to sit there contemplating mortality for a good while while we waited for the van to start again. Probably not much actual danger since the van wasn't going anywhere, but aforementioned skeev-factor was high.

What is really fun is when you get to the really tiny switchbacks...in an F250 longbed. Or meet another vehicle coming down the other direction, where there's absolutely no room to pull over. "Who gets to back up" is not a very fun game...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
What is really fun is when you get to the really tiny switchbacks...in an F250 longbed. Or meet another vehicle coming down the other direction, where there's absolutely no room to pull over. "Who gets to back up" is not a very fun game...

Ride in a bus at night through the mountains of Spain, France or Italy.  See those headlights in the distance?  First one to cut off their headlights has the right of way going around curves.  Mostly, sometimes.  Do you sit in the first row of seats, where you can see this being played out, so you will be killed beore the bus goes over the side, or do you sit in the back where you will wonder, all the way down the mountainside, just what the heck happened?

stay safe.