Author Topic: NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver  (Read 4137 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
I can't help but think that this might improve our police forces a bit - a cop might not get away with any ONE incident, probably most of them.

But most cops caught in stuff like this are known problem-children, and most cops that perform a 'marginal' shoot have lots of disciplinary issues.

With recording devices being as common as they are today, they should be filtered out of the police pool more often, sooner.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
The cop got upset because the Uber driver suggested that the cop use his blinkers.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/an-nypd-cop-on-a-power-trip-verbally-abuses-an-immigrant-uber-driver/389390/

The cop got demoted and then apologized.
http://nypost.com/2015/04/01/cop-that-berated-uber-driver-stripped-of-badge-and-gun/

Call me cynical, but I'd put my money on cherry being out on tje street in the same capacity in a week or two when this all blows over. 
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
Interesting that in the first story, the police union talks about it being unfair to come down on someone for an "isolated" incident, while the second story relates that the officer had a dozen prior, and similar complaints. Maybe I don't understand the definition of "isolated".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 10:09:17 AM »
I believe you just don't understand union
Your English definition is spot on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
Deleted for double
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »
Last night on the NBC network news, the cop did a segment in which he admitted he screwed up and he apologized.  That always helps to defuse these situations.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »
If a CCRB judge finds Cherry guilty of misconduct, he could end up with a permanent mark on his record, sources said. But any disciplinary action would be solely up to Bratton, who ultimately has final say.

Ooh!  The dreaded permanent mark on his record.  How many of us went through school toeing the line just to avoid that happening to us?

Cherry has been the subject of a dozen prior CCRB complaints, going back more than 10 years, some for exhibiting the same sort of verbal abuse, a source said.

I don't know about NYPD but a lot of folks consider that a "clue".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
Last night on the NBC network news, the cop did a segment in which he admitted he screwed up and he apologized.  That always helps to defuse these situations.

Did Cherry make his apology directly to the Uber driver, or was  it more along the lines of "I'm sorry I got caught"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »

While I would normally agree that's the way things should go, and I even partially agree here, I have to echo and add to what Skid said.

An apology carries a lot of weight if it's a first time offense, and directed at the person(s) due the apology. It carries less weight as a public statement in the "I got caught" vein. It carries a lot less weight when it's the first apology of a repeat offender who doesn't want to lose his place "on the prestigious Homeland Security Task Force".

Of course the idea of stepping up and admitting mistakes without adding excuses or extenuating circumstances transcends any particular occupation and applies to most things in life.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
He's the type of sociopath the city wants for cracking skulls and keeping the serfs in line. He's not going anywhere until he screws up so big that he costs the city money or riots, and even then its iffy.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »
He's the type of sociopath the city wants for cracking skulls and keeping the serfs in line. He's not going anywhere until he screws up so big that he costs the city money or riots, and even then its iffy.

Indeed. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
He's one of the "rough men" who supposedly make it possible for the rest of us to sleep at night.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »
Yep, popular media seems to treat apologies like get out of jail free cards sometimes. 
While I would normally agree that's the way things should go, and I even partially agree here, I have to echo and add to what Skid said.

An apology carries a lot of weight if it's a first time offense, and directed at the person(s) due the apology. It carries less weight as a public statement in the "I got caught" vein. It carries a lot less weight when it's the first apology of a repeat offender who doesn't want to lose his place "on the prestigious Homeland Security Task Force".

Of course the idea of stepping up and admitting mistakes without adding excuses or extenuating circumstances transcends any particular occupation and applies to most things in life.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge