Author Topic: Chick-fil-a  (Read 12756 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Chick-fil-a
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
Not really.

Then what will he do when the cows show up?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »
Then what will he do when the cows show up?

Oh wait, you said cows, not crows. My bad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »
Quote from: Ben

You know nothing Ben Snow.

Chris

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
Another thing I appreciate about chik-fil-a is that, for a fast food restaurant, they have a relatively well mannered clientele.  Fewer loud, profane conversations, not as trashily dressed, less objectionable music booming in the parking lot.

I'll pay more for that.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
I personally disagree with Chik-fil-a ownership on some of their public positions, if I owned a fast food or other restaurant it would be open Sundays purely for more income and I don't really care what others do as far as sexuality so I wouldn't be contributing money to groups that oppose gay marriage or what have you they do to piss of Liberals. Of course they have the absolute right to their beliefs and I support their right to have their beliefs even if I don't personally share them. Plus I like them just cause they piss of Liberals.

Now all that said. I don't even like chicken and I like Chik-fil-a chicken. Unfortunately since they aren't open Sundays, most of the time I'm anywhere near the closest one they aren't open.

actually, I kind of admire their business strategy.

The truth is it really is just damn good chicken, as well as maintaining a great customer service rep. It's so good that they can afford to be closed on Sundays and maintain an opinion that alienates a good portion of the population even being on the higher end pricing of fast food.

Compare that to other business that are failing on crappy product and even worse customer service, even with expanded menus, fancy ad campaigns and whatnot, and it is impressive.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »

You can explain that reference to me, if you like. If not, I don't mind being out of the loop.  =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »

You can explain that reference to me, if you like. If not, I don't mind being out of the loop.  =)

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night%27s_Watch

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
    ―The Night's Watch oath

How's that for thread drift?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
You know nothing Ben Snow.

Not fair.  We don't know if Ben's a bastard.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
Not fair.  We don't know if Ben's a bastard.

By 14,000 posts, I thought it would be obvious.  =D

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »
I personally disagree with Chik-fil-a ownership on some of their public positions, if I owned a fast food or other restaurant it would be open Sundays purely for more income and I don't really care what others do as far as sexuality so I wouldn't be contributing money to groups that oppose gay marriage or what have you they do to piss of Liberals. Of course they have the absolute right to their beliefs and I support their right to have their beliefs even if I don't personally share them. Plus I like them just cause they piss of Liberals.

Now all that said. I don't even like chicken and I like Chik-fil-a chicken. Unfortunately since they aren't open Sundays, most of the time I'm anywhere near the closest one they aren't open.

Not necessarily.

The chicken chain’s U.S. sales soared to more than $5 billion last year, besting KFC’s $4.22 billion — a clear rout, considering Col. Sanders’s chicken is so much easier to find, according to data from QSR, a trade publication about the fast-food industry. There were 1,775 Chick-fil-A restaurants in the United States last year, mostly in the South, compared with 4,491 KFCs. The average Chick-fil-A earned $3.2 million last year, three times more than the average KFC, QSR said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/chick-fil-a-rules-the-roost-even-6-days-a-week/2014/09/08/82bc0540-379f-11e4-bdfb-de4104544a37_story.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »
This guy thinks it should be open on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsJHqstPuNo

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2015, 10:36:41 PM »
Hell, if they're curb stomping KFC in 6/7ths of the time,  why change now?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »
It's easy to see where they're coming from on the Sunday openings.

"Remember the Sabbath, and keep it holy." You have to respect them for walking their talk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 10:46:34 PM »
Besides tasty chicken and the only fast food salad worth eating what keeps me coming back is the staffing. I don't know if Ned Flanders gives them a bible test or what, but the staff are clean, polite, and helpful. I like management studies and I will walk out of a place that has crappy managers because I figure it is all downhill from there. CFA seems to retain older and more engaged manages than most burger joints. Only burger joint I've seen operate as close is a well run Steak N' Shake. Some of that case is barrier to entry SnS requires previous franchisee experience and some significant capital. 
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:26 AM »
Some of that case is barrier to entry SnS requires previous franchisee experience and some significant capital. 

SnS?

Translation?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 12:54:13 AM »
Given their appeal to church-goers, imagine the money they could make from having Sunday hours. For some church folk, dining out Sunday afternoon is just a part of the tradition.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 12:54:36 AM »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »
I know that in order for you to be a franchisee of Chick-fil-a, you have to be a current long time employee and you are asked if you would like to be a franchise.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »
Not necessarily.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/chick-fil-a-rules-the-roost-even-6-days-a-week/2014/09/08/82bc0540-379f-11e4-bdfb-de4104544a37_story.html

That says nothing about the fact they would have additional revenue if they were open Sundays as well. I never said they weren't wildly successful now. It's their decision, I even respect their conviction to their beliefs. Being as I'm not religious if I owned such a business, it would be open Sundays to maximize revenue potential.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »
It's easy to see where they're coming from on the Sunday openings.

"Remember the Sabbath, and keep it holy." You have to respect them for walking their talk.

I'm a heathen and I respect it.  Run your business how you see fit, let the free market shake out whether it's a good business model or not.
Freedom of association works the same way. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
I'm a heathen and I respect it.  Run your business how you see fit, let the free market shake out whether it's a good business model or not.
Freedom of association works the same way. 

It's almost funny. Some people harassed an Indiana business into closing its doors, just for saying they would discriminate in a hypothetical situation that would never happen. And all to prove that they need government to do what they just proved they could do by themselves.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 02:00:24 PM »
I have an Aunt who has done fast food management quite a bit.  She used to work at a Whataburger and refused to be the head manager because it was a 7 day a week job.  Employees like to have at least one guaranteed day off a week.  I have to assume that Chick-fil-a attracts a better class of manager and employee specifically because they are closed on Sundays, even at the same pay.  You really can't understate the value of that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »
I think it also helps that Chick-fil-a limits how many stores are in any particular area.  I think that helps. 

That said, the one near me could build a second restaurant across the street and both would be busy all the time.  That current one has a steady stream of customers at all hours they are open.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
I didn't think they had any stores in my state, but there are a couple. None of them are located in areas where I would think the first stores in a new state might go, but that's their call. The nearest is about 25 minutes away. I may have to head over there some Saturday.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »
CFA is a privately-owned company, so they have a different perspective on things relative to your run of the mill corporation.  The founder had some peculiarities, no doubt, according to his little bio I read years back.  One of which was something like, "If I keep it private and own it, they can't fire me for doing it my way."

They expand at a much slower rate and are less willing to accept that some stores will not survive.  From what I read, they do beau coup market and territory analysis above & beyond similar companies.  There is some value placed on the franchisee and employees such that they do not want to place them in a losing situation from the get-go.  I think that this has something to do with a lower store density than, say, Starbucks or suchlike.  They would rather that an individual store have more business than squeeze out the last possible dollar from a territory.  See per-store revenue of KFC vs CFA above.

The CFAs around here are mobbed for lunch.  Funny thing is, if you do take-out or drive through, it doesn't take that much longer than other fast food at that time.  Just more efficient.  They cycle through PDQ. 

Oh, and the chicken is very yummy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton