Author Topic: Candidates drawing a salary from the campaign fund?  (Read 890 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Candidates drawing a salary from the campaign fund?
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:28:36 PM »
There's a candidate for the state legislature who's paying himself about $4000 a month from campaign funds. This has raised all sorts of media hoopla and, frankly, I don't understand why. It's perfectly legal.

He's challenging an incumbent who is being paid a state legislator's salary while he campaigns. Yet the media expects a challenger to either drain his savings or borrow money.

One of Wisconsin's US Senators, Herb Kohl, is the richest man in the US Senate. He funds his campaigns from his own pocket, for which the media lavishes him with praise.

I've thought a lot about running for state Assembly against my own representative, who is just a bump on a log. But one of the biggest obstacles to that is not having an income for a year or more while campaigning.

Does anyone else here have objections to what the challenger in this race is doing?

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Candidates drawing a salary from the campaign fund?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:42:15 PM »
Nope. BTW, who is it?
Andy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:32:43 PM »
No.  Incumbents seem to do a good job of circling the wagons around themselves with quisling laws to make sure they become almost impossible to unseat.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 03:32:29 PM »
There's a candidate for the state legislature who's paying himself about $4000 a month from campaign funds. This has raised all sorts of media hoopla and, frankly, I don't understand why. It's perfectly legal.

He's challenging an incumbent who is being paid a state legislator's salary while he campaigns. Yet the media expects a challenger to either drain his savings or borrow money.

One of Wisconsin's US Senators, Herb Kohl, is the richest man in the US Senate. He funds his campaigns from his own pocket, for which the media lavishes him with praise.

I've thought a lot about running for state Assembly against my own representative, who is just a bump on a log. But one of the biggest obstacles to that is not having an income for a year or more while campaigning.

Does anyone else here have objections to what the challenger in this race is doing?
Reminds me of Mr. Graft. Instead of getting a bunch of rubes to give you money to "lobby" you get a bunch of rubes to bank roll your new career as a professional campaigner. The whole concept of paying yourself from your campaign fund seems slimey. Please do not do it.

Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 06:44:16 PM »
StopTheGrays, the candidate is taking much less in "salary" during his campaign than what he was making before he left his full-time job to run for office. He calculated the minimum amount that it would take for him to leave his job and still put food on the table.

With only a couple of exceptions, the legislators I know are well off enough that they can go for a year or so without any personal income.

One of those exceptions is a state legislator whose brother happens to run a multi-million dollar business, and was able to bankroll the candidate's family for well over a year. Without such support, this legislator would not have been able to campaign.

I know very little about the candidate who's drawing a salary from his campaign, other than the statements he's made about government actually representing the governed, and the idea of the "citizen-representative."

The citizen-representative concept is as old as our country, or even older. It's the way the system was supposed to work.

Right now, the incumbents enjoy the advantage: they get paid full salary (~$47,000 here in WI for a state legislator, and ~$160,000 for a member of the US congress).

Meanwhile, anyone who wants to take on an incumbent must either be very well-off, or have connections to people who are willing to subsidize the challenger.

Either way, we're talking about money. And money in politics is like water: no matter what the laws, money finds its own way.

Slimey? I don't see it that way. If the challenger ran a campaign every two years, then I would. But the fact that he's willing to put his whole life, and the life of his family, into the political blender tells me that he's sincere. The toll that campaigning takes on the challenger and his family is more than I could tolerate.

That's why, no matter how much I'd like to run for office, I just can't do it. I've seen the personal toll, the destroyed families, multiple divorces. The hours are ridiculous, and the criticism never stops.

But then I look at my own state represenative, Margaret "Peggy" Krusick. I assume her husband brings home the bacon, and she doesn't have to worry much. She's been a rubber-stamp for the Milwaukee Democrats for years and years. Actually, well over a decade.

To be honest, she's not very bright. She's more concerned about whether people like her than whether or not a bill she voted for passed.

As I eye the changes in the district, I think she's low-hanging fruit. A challenger with knowledge of the issues and the drive to endure a campaign could take her out.

But, that would mean that the challenger would either have the financial resources with which to do so himself, or find someone to fund him.

I rail both for and against our current system of campaign finance laws, because they protect the incumbents, intimidate challengers and, in the end, do no more harm nor good than the laws that were in effect prior to 1977.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 03:18:10 AM »
StopTheGrays, the candidate is taking much less in "salary" during his campaign than what he was making before he left his full-time job to run for office. He calculated the minimum amount that it would take for him to leave his job and still put food on the table.

Right now, the incumbents enjoy the advantage: they get paid full salary (~$47,000 here in WI for a state legislator,

$4000  a month is $48000 a year. If that is the minimum amount he needs to live on, I think he is going to have financial trouble at some point if he wins office and has to live on $47,000 a year. Many qualified candidates just cannot afford the pay cut if they go into politics.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.