Author Topic: Denver bakery won't be forced to make "anti-gay" cakes  (Read 13959 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Denver bakery won't be forced to make "anti-gay" cakes
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
No, I think Ron had it right. The country is pretty split on the gay marrage issue right now, but if you asked a good sample of Americans if they thought a lunch counter owner should be willing to refuse to serve black folks, a vast majority of Americans would be OK with a law preventing that.  That that same law can then be expanded to include other groups wouldn't cross their mind.

The majority of our nation disagrees with most of us here on the concept of freedom of association.

Actually,  I think they should be allowed to refuse service to anyone regardless of reason.   If they choose to discriminate based on race, orientation, hair style, or number of vowels in the last name, then so be it.

And let the market respond as it sees fit.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »
Actually,  I think they should be allowed to refuse service to anyone regardless of reason.   If they choose to discriminate based on race, orientation, hair style, or number of vowels in the last name, then so be it.

And let the market respond as it sees fit.

Honestly I'd be most everyone HERE thinks that.  But we're not really a representitive cross section of America.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
Marjorie Silva, the owner of the bakery, told Jack that she would make him the bible-shaped cakes, but would not decorate them with the biblical verses and the image of the groomsmen that he requested. Instead, she offered to provide him with icing and a pastry bag so he could write or draw whatever messages he wished on the cakes.

Does this mean a baker opposed to gay marriage could supply a gay customer with a plain cake, icing, and a pastry bag and tell him to do it himself?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/04/01/story-about-1st-business-to-publicly-vow-to-reject-gay-weddings-was-fabricated-out-of-nothing/

This kind of bullshit is why I have a burning hatred of reporters. I refused to speak to them at the old job or do them any favors when an incident happened because they ALWAYS purposefully screwed the details up, left critical information out, or flat out lied...and then I had to deal with the fallout because asswipes that read the stories decided to put their two cents in when calling or visiting the park.

They will say any kind of bullshit to further their "story". They have no morals and no inhibitions against doing harm with what they say.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 12:42:28 AM »
Really depends on how one defines "Christian." There are people whose stated belief system is explicitly atheist who still claim to be Christian. 

So we have to differentiate the Cis-tians from the trans-tians?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.