Author Topic: Corded Power Tools  (Read 5073 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Corded Power Tools
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »
I just broke down a bought a new Milwaukee 18volt battery pack.
Drill, sawzall, circular saw and impact wrench that runs on them. I had 5 batteries in total, only one that held a little charge.
I do use more corded tools, but got to have the drill for driving screws mostly.
I have all the same corded versions of all of those plus more stuff.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »
For those of you with a big investment in battery-powered tools only to have your batts go tango uniform, you can replace the innards with obby-class lithium polymer batteries.  Read some articles on it and if I had such an investment I would be very tempted.  Especially if I had older tech nicads or some such.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 10:50:23 PM »
With Milwaukee you can use the lithium batteries in your old tools. They use compatible connections. I've got 8 or 9 Old style and just started with the lithium
I have one whole bay in utility body that's nothin but assorted chargers and a big inverter that will run my chop saw if I need to. When I show up I know battery's are ready

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
Circular saw and reciprocating saw.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:07 PM »
Circ saw I bought new. Makita drill and a jig saw I got second-hand.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
I took one of the 18volt nicad batteries apart to try and re core myself. The batteries are all attached to each other with a really heavy flat strapping thats welded to each battery. I could not figure out how to duplicate that.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
As a professional user, the only cordless tools I would buy would be Milwaukee. They don't play battery pack games nearly as bad as other makers and their technology has far surpassed the other makers as far as power and battery life. Their Fuel brushless tools are top notch. Their 1/2" impact wrench will pretty much hang with my 1/2" pnuematic impact wrench (which is one of the most powerful on the market), and their 3/8" impact wrenches are about the most powerful on the market as far as cordless tools go. My 3/8" pneumatic still has about 100 ft-lb over their cordless impact (yes, I like very powerful impact wrenches), but the Milwaukee 3/8 still puts out 200 ft-lb. Fairly compact and you don't have to wrestle with the air hose when going all over the machine in a hurry. I will probably get the Milwaukee pair when I get out of school.

For the occasional home user, for just a basic drill, I'd get this Harbor Freight drill...comes with two batteries and when they go bad in a couple years you won't feel bad about tossing the whole package. http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/cordless-drills/18-volt-12-in-cordless-variable-speed-hammer-drill-with-keyless-chuck-68851.html

That said, for home most of my tools are corded other than drills and one reciprocating saw, and I have a 9.5kw Lincoln welder/genset that will provide remote power if necessary.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 05:30:57 AM »
I have  Hitachi 18v lithium ion cordless drill. I bought it after using Castle Key's and was very impressed with it. Torque levels were QUITE high.

Got it from Loews, with a carrying case, two batteries, and a flashlight for around $100.

I had a 14v NiCad Skil before that my father had given me, but the batteries were starting to crap out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »
Reading through this I forgot a bunch of the other tools that I have that are corded:

Dremel (two flavors, an old Craftsman and a WEN)

Early 1960s Craftsman saber saw that was my Dad's.

1/2" B&D hammer drill

various sanders

And my currently shorted circa late 1950s/early 1960s Craftsman router.