Author Topic: What caliber for sea lion?  (Read 1160 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for sea lion?
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/06/sea-lion-bites-man/25348659/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

The local and Alaskan fishing fleets are headquartered in the Ballard area of Seattle.  Out there at sea, when the sea lions start to tear your salmon nets to get at the fish inside, some of the fishermen 'take measures'.  I bet they would know what caliber for sea lions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
Re: What caliber for sea lion?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
What Caliber?  Not one you can have in CA.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »
.375 H&H, just like for sand lions.  Although I guess you ought to swap the elephant ivory bead for one made from a narwal tusk.

Or maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-iqnfxqDM

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
 Higher velocity .338 magnums for open water.
Nearshore waters, I prefer .375 H&H.

Hot shots may try to get by with .30 caliber rifles, but sea lions have big, pointy teeth.
7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
Just use a club

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
Sea lions are short of food along the California coast, so it's not surprising that some of them are getting aggressive.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/03/16/hundreds-starving-sea-lion-pups-stranding-on-california-beaches-rescue-centers/
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:55 PM »
Sea lions are short of food along the California coast, so it's not surprising that some of them are getting aggressive.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/03/16/hundreds-starving-sea-lion-pups-stranding-on-california-beaches-rescue-centers/

Most of the ones you see coming into shore because of the food availability problem are young and lethargic. They just kind of sit there, waiting to die. This one came out of the water while I was on a break during a run a couple of weeks ago. They neither get closer to you nor run away, because they don't have the energy for it. As for what caliber, most of the ones found dead here by gunshot, mostly from commercial fishermen, have .22s in them.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
The 300-pound sea lion tried to grab the fish but instead caught the man's arm, pulling him down into 20 feet of water in Mission Bay,

"........ the sea lion let go and he was able to jump back into his boat,"

I've been on boats.  I've swam in the water near the boats.  In water less than and and greater than 20' deep.  I've never been able to "jump back into" any of them.

But, I've never been in the water with a hungry 300 lb sea lion either.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »

Holy hell, did that article get linked on drudge or something?  The derp in the comments is amazing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »
Holy hell, did that article get linked on drudge or something?  The derp in the comments is amazing.

I generally avoid reading comments on the Fox site. Some of the "conservative" commenters are often more embarrassing than the left-wing whackos who post there to stir the pot. Not that the comments are much different at any of the MSM websites. The intelligence of average Americans these days, regardless of their political leanings, is truly embarrassing. Just read Youtube comments for a sampling of people whose votes count just as much as yours. It really makes a guy wanna buy an island and start a new country.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."