Author Topic: Salon, gun owners are racists  (Read 8393 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Salon, gun owners are racists
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
Oh look, Salon has another hit piece on guns.  A "gun lover" goes to sell his guns because really, who needs them?  He is appalled by the racism in America's gun culture.  There is so much wrong in this article.

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/06/a_gun_lover_sees_the_evils_of_gun_culture_white_supremacists_obama_haters_and_me/?wtf

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Salon, gun owners are racists
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
Oh, goody!  Multiple contests at the same place.

How many stereotypes?

How many memes?

How many FUDDisms?

How many times do I  :facepalm: before I knock myself unconsiuos?

I swear I almost fell off my chair when I got to " wore sidearms, not small caliber “personal” pieces, like the infamous Beretta .25,  but big and powerful cannons, nuzzled into expensive breakaway holsters set high on the hip."

To be honest I tried ,ightily to read beyond there but kept either getting wrapped up in the giggles or checking my blood pressure to see if my meds were working.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
Full of hyperbole, mysticism and intentional misrepresentation. I kind of feel sorry for people who buy into this individual's writing. They always say that they were at some time "into" guns. I suppose that is supposed to give them some form of legitimacy when they badmouth anything related to the 2nd Amendment? "I once owned a gun, so now I am right when I say they are evil and gun owners are evil and blah blah blah"
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 03:07:16 PM »
Restaurant reviewer writes article

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Oh brother.

The report was an authoritative ka-pow, much as I remember, the gun reaching skyward in a credible kick for a .22,  three inches of ignited escape gas illuminating the tip of the muzzle in a brilliant blue-white flash.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
LOL left a comment similar to my above post and it got erased in 5 seconds flat..
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
Someone want to introduce him to Colion Noir, the new NRA spokesman?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
Someone want to introduce him to Colion Noir, the new NRA spokesman?

I thought we liked Colion?  Why you wanna make his head go all 'splodey?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
I think I put him at ease when he realized I had more than cursory knowledge of guns. I was not a lapsed dilettante suddenly tired of his latest fleeting interest.

:rofl: 

I guess this story could be every wit true. I rather doubt it. And they must have been some junk guns, to get nothing but $1000 for the 4 of them. Also rather suspect that he's convinced the gun nuts are up to no good, and just want to go shooting black Muslims, but he decided to sell four more black-Muslim-killing machines to this guy who epitomized the racist gun culture? ???

Oh, well. This is the guy who's stymied, trying to figure out why guys working at a gun store and range would carry sidearms. I guess being that clueless makes him a perfect match for Slate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »
I skimmed the article (it wasn't worth actually reading.)  I didn't see the phrase "booger-eating morons" anywhere.  I guess he is saving some material for a follow-up piece.
"It's good, though..."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
It is really hard to round up people and put them in camps until you demonize and dehumanize them. This is, as the term goes, "battlespace preparation". They may not even consciously know it, but that is what they are doing.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »
He live in baltimore- good place for him, I hope he stays there.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
I tried to read the article.  Honest, I really tried.  Finally gave up and watched squirrels pick old nuts out of my back yard.  That had more socially redeeming value.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
Shrill hit pieces like this are a good sign. It's the best indicator that the anti's are completely frustrated.

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »
I read the entire article. I didn't see a single quotation of any of the people with whom he spoke saying anything about white supremacy or about oppressing people of other colors or ethnicities, yet at the end he came out with:

Here before me in earnest conversation for the last two hours was the personification of gun culture: The attitude of white supremacy, the Obama hatred and all the attendant side issues. I felt strangely privileged to have seen this man in the flesh, as if I were a cub reporter who had scooped the old timers.

But I was also aghast. This guy doesn’t even have centuries of oppression to blame for his radical, oppressive views. What the hell went wrong?

Clear case of either cognitive dissonance, or transference. Probably both.

And then my editor brain tripped on this:

When we went back to the table to set a price for the guns, my host began chatting again. I decided to turn the conversation to something a bit more fraught. What was he going to do, shoot me?

Color me naive, but I always thought people who get paid to write things should know how to use the words they write. WTF does "a bit more fraught" mean? "Fraught" is an adjective -- adjectives exist to accompany nouns.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster online
Full Definition of FRAUGHT
archaic
a :  laden
b :  well supplied or provided
:  full of or accompanied by something specified —used with with <a situation fraught with danger>
:  causing or characterized by emotional distress or tension :  uneasy <a fraught relationship>

He should stick to restaurant reviews.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 08:46:01 AM »
I read a couple reviews. He sucks at them too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »
I read a couple reviews. He sucks at them too

Kudos for consistency?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
Lol
It's bad when you fail at reviewing restaurants

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »
This guy was not speaking in mindless bumper sticker aphorisms. He wanted to tie it together, to build an elegant theory, to move out of brainless wing-nut territory and offer some robust alternate history. And he was articulate, too. This, I thought, was a dangerous man.

The difference between right and left is that the right has bothered to understand the left.

If it all ends in tears, thoughts like the above will be why.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
Is salon as white as mother jones ? I haven't found staff pics and it makes my cynical nature wonder

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »
Is salon as white as mother jones ? I haven't found staff pics and it makes my cynical nature wonder

They're white enough to be racist. :)

http://twitchy.com/2015/04/10/oops-race-obsessed-salon-confuses-pakistani-american-british-indian-actors/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
Aaaand...

Lallo accidentally admits the story is fake in the comments.

"I stand by every word of my story and relayed it as it was told to me."
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
ever notice that Salon and the other liberals always use the term 'racist' as a pejorative?       :rofl:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
Aaaand...

Lallo accidentally admits the story is fake in the comments.

"I stand by every word of my story and relayed it as it was told to me."

Salon.com: we make Brian Williams look reputable.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden