Author Topic: Amazing video of South Carolina police shooting  (Read 22521 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Amazing video of South Carolina police shooting
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »
I think it will be relevant in that the cops story hinges upon " he grabbed my taser. If he can credibly articulate that he believed the guy to be armed with a weapon he had just taken the next level of force is bang. Its less an issue of what you or i see on video or feel than what he felt and experienced.

True, the legal doctrine is based on what the shooter reasonably believed to the the facts, rather than what the facts might have been. But ... the legal doctrine is based on what the shooter REASONABLY believed to be the facts. The video clearly shows the victim running away from the officer. What difference would it make if the officer believed that the victim had possession of the taser? Even if the victim had the officer's taser in his hand, he was making no attempt to deploy it, and he was not in any way posing a threat to the officer. He was running away.

The officer did not look, as he started shooting, like a man in fear for his life. He looked like a man plinking targets at a shooting range on a Saturday afternoon.

If the face of the video, I don't think his "I was in fear for my life" claim is going to go anywhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
Cop would still have to take him in. If he had the taser the allowable methodology took a shift. If he did not guild the lily in his statement hes got a shot .
Remember those 2 border patrol guys got shafted for shooting the dope smuggler in the butt? What screwed them was lies and coverup. If they had told the truth it woukda ended up with an unpaid vacation and a reprimand. They lies their way into the penitentiary. And it was testimony from other agents that sank the hook

What does a man in fear for his life look like?
I think the audio of his dispatch calls as well as from his mic recording tomdash cam will be important

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2015, 01:49:49 AM »

Afraid.

Remember a year or two back when two NYPD officers took down a guy who had just shot someone in (or near) the Empire State Building? They were closer than this guy. The two officers fired a total of 16 shots -- resulting in nine wounded pedestrian bystanders. IIRC, they hit the actual perp twice.

That's what a man in fear for his life looks like. He be a sprayin' an' a prayin'. [FYI, I have been that man -- when my M16 jammed during a night firefight in Vietnam. I don't actually know what it looked like, but I sure as bleep know what it felt like.]

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2015, 03:41:51 AM »
Cop would still have to take him in. If he had the taser the allowable methodology took a shift. If he did not guild the lily in his statement hes got a shot .
Remember those 2 border patrol guys got shafted for shooting the dope smuggler in the butt? What screwed them was lies and coverup. If they had told the truth it woukda ended up with an unpaid vacation and a reprimand. They lies their way into the penitentiary. And it was testimony from other agents that sank the hook

I think the audio of his dispatch calls as well as from his mic recording tomdash cam will be important

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, but the facts did in the BP agents, not the lies.  Your understanding of the legal system from an "insiders" perspective doesn't substitue for advice. 

Hawkmoon is spot on here.  The officers gun, btw, is not a compliance tool.  It's a self defense tool.  It isn't to be rolled out because the cuffs failed - no jurisdiction in America recognises an LE right to use lethal force to achieve compliance with a direction.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2015, 03:43:37 AM »

Lecturing you on etiquette? No. I'm just expressing my amazement that you would ever again express an opinion, in this forum, on whether or not a shooting is justified.

OK, probably too harsh. Even the lofty and venerable fistful has been wrong at times. The internet is a silly place.

The Internet is awash with clowns and clown like behaviour. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Sorry, but the facts did in the BP agents, not the lies.  Your understanding of the legal system from an "insiders" perspective doesn't substitue for advice. 

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
Afraid.

Remember a year or two back when two NYPD officers took down a guy who had just shot someone in (or near) the Empire State Building? They were closer than this guy. The two officers fired a total of 16 shots -- resulting in nine wounded pedestrian bystanders. IIRC, they hit the actual perp twice.

That's what a man in fear for his life looks like. He be a sprayin' an' a prayin'. [FYI, I have been that man -- when my M16 jammed during a night firefight in Vietnam. I don't actually know what it looked like, but I sure as bleep know what it felt like.]
I thought the officer in this case hit the guy 5 out of 8 times and that was shooting fairly fast.  I would say that was pretty good shooting for doing it fast under stress. 

Regarding NYPD, there are multiple cases of officers from that department spraying and praying.  I don't know if they are good examples to draw useful conclusions except as examples of the low end. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »
Doesn't NY require a heavier trigger pull?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Doesn't NY require a heavier trigger pull?
Yep. 11 lbs rather than 5.5 lbs.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
The Internet is awash with clowns and clown like behaviour.  

http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_34.php

(I have a signed print of this in my office)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2015, 04:46:17 PM »
I thought the officer in this case hit the guy 5 out of 8 times and that was shooting fairly fast.  I would say that was pretty good shooting for doing it fast under stress. 

That is correct. I submit that's proof enough for me that he wasn't afraid for his life. Then look at the video. He wasn't shooting one-handed, wildly, spraying and praying. He stood there, assumed a classic Weaver stance, and took eight AIMED shots. I assure you, that's not a man who was afraid for his life.

Regarding NYPD, there are multiple cases of officers from that department spraying and praying.  I don't know if they are good examples to draw useful conclusions except as examples of the low end. 

They are useful to demonstrate the difference between a man who is in fear for his life, and a man who is taking target practice with a human target.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
Your understanding of the legal system from an "insiders" perspective doesn't substitute for advice. 

But, CSD, if you find out the cop looks like a pervert, that could be vital information.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=33872.msg678208#msg678208

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=34534.msg693483#msg693483

You make it too easy, dude.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2015, 07:12:12 PM »

But, CSD, if you find out the cop looks like a pervert, that could be vital information.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=33872.msg678208#msg678208

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=34534.msg693483#msg693483

You make it too easy, dude.  :P

I love it - you're stretching to try and relate Zimmerman to this case, and you end up quoting posts that perfectly describe how Zimmerman has behaved since the trial (multiple dv calls, road rage, traffic offences).  He was always bad news for gun owners, still is.  I think bob's photo is the best description of your behaviour on this thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2015, 07:43:08 PM »
I'm not a mod and I don't aspire to be a mod but I say the personal sniping at each other needs to go.

230RN has pointed out the slide in the "polite" part of this site and I agree. Also I'm aware and know I have stepped out of line many times myself much to my own chagrin.

Lets just self police ourselves better.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
This is done for now.  Debate the issue and not the person, no matter how much you dislike him/her.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.