Author Topic: Brony trigger alert - My Little Pony tells children about marxism and equality  (Read 8954 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://thefederalist.com/2015/04/08/my-little-pony-to-children-marxism-is-not-magic/

Trigger and spoiler alerts all around.

However, perhaps the best sentence is right at the beginning:
I feel it’s necessary to preface this article by stating that I am not a brony. I’ve met a couple, and I don’t exactly…get it. It’s like relishing the days when you had easy access to a playground butt-kicking. That said, after seeing the message the show carries, I might join them now.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Pb

• friend
Was this only about "diversity" or did it mention economics too?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
My Little Pony meets Harrison Bergeron?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
My Little Pony meets Harrison Bergeron?

How would they play the Handicapper General?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Was this only about "diversity" or did it mention economics too?

It apparently only touched on social marxism. Everyone being exactly equal, except for the Leader who keeps its specialness.

In the end, leader is exposed as a fraud and everyone embraces their individualism. So, yay?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
How would they play the Handicapper General?

With Gilbert & Sullivan.

"I am the very model of a Handicapper General . . ."
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
It apparently only touched on social marxism. Everyone being exactly equal, except for the Leader who keeps its specialness.

In the end, leader is exposed as a fraud and everyone embraces their individualism. So, yay?

Still deeper than 99% of children's cartoons are willing to go.

I also hesitate to call myself a 'brony', though I'll admit to watching the cartoon & reading the comics, it's not like I've watched most of them more than once, I just added it to my queue of stuff to watch because I really like 'new'.  I enjoy it, but only the same as I enjoy many other shows.

That being said, the ponies are badasses.  They're not kidding when they say that Equestria is a realm where your average Dungeons & Dragons adventuring party would hesitate to tread.  The main cast lives next to a forest containing - Dragons, giant serpents, basilisks, manticores, giant star bears, flying tribbles, magical poisonous flowers, and many other things that a party of murder-hobos would consider 'challenging'.  Meanwhile, once you include magic abilities the Ponies are actually ahead of many sci-fi races, doing things like controlling the weather.  As in scheduling rainfall, sunlight, etc...

Oh, and they actually break gender stereotypes/rules left and right.  The main cast are business owners/operators, appointed to important positions, etc...  Rarity runs her own clothing shop.  Rainbow Dash's 'job' varies a bit, but she's often in charge of the local weather.  Twilight was the town librarian/troubleshooter/princess's representative.  Applejack runs the farm(cooperatively with her brother).  Pinkie works for the local bakers(specializing in sweets, apparently), but seems to have a side line arranging parties.  Flutteryshy is the local wildlife manager/caretaker.  Keep in mind that this translates to 'provides veterinary care to animals such as manticores'.

MechAg94

• friend
But Wiley E. Coyote beats them all.  He is indestructable.  .........Or comes back to life.  I am not sure which.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
Still deeper than 99% of children's cartoons are willing to go.

I also hesitate to call myself a 'brony', though I'll admit to watching the cartoon & reading the comics, it's not like I've watched most of them more than once, I just added it to my queue of stuff to watch because I really like 'new'.  I enjoy it, but only the same as I enjoy many other shows.

That being said, the ponies are badasses.  They're not kidding when they say that Equestria is a realm where your average Dungeons & Dragons adventuring party would hesitate to tread.  The main cast lives next to a forest containing - Dragons, giant serpents, basilisks, manticores, giant star bears, flying tribbles, magical poisonous flowers, and many other things that a party of murder-hobos would consider 'challenging'.  Meanwhile, once you include magic abilities the Ponies are actually ahead of many sci-fi races, doing things like controlling the weather.  As in scheduling rainfall, sunlight, etc...

Oh, and they actually break gender stereotypes/rules left and right.  The main cast are business owners/operators, appointed to important positions, etc...  Rarity runs her own clothing shop.  Rainbow Dash's 'job' varies a bit, but she's often in charge of the local weather.  Twilight was the town librarian/troubleshooter/princess's representative.  Applejack runs the farm(cooperatively with her brother).  Pinkie works for the local bakers(specializing in sweets, apparently), but seems to have a side line arranging parties.  Flutteryshy is the local wildlife manager/caretaker.  Keep in mind that this translates to 'provides veterinary care to animals such as manticores'.

Ever played Diablo 3? There's an easter egg level where you have to fight My little Ponies (or unicorns...)and Carebears- some of the toughest non-boss monsters in the entire game! Maybe they are tough because you are laughing too hard to play though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClM4I1YKYE
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
I'm glad a kids show (or for odd adults) is making a pushback. For years we had to endure the goldarn communist smurfs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
I hate to break it to you, Firethorn ...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Oh, and they actually break gender stereotypes/rules left and right. 

So the show has its downside, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I hate to break it to you, Firethorn ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
The Tick was a good cartoon also, but I don't start talking about its philosophical and social aspects.  It was just funny.  IMO, any cartoon that isn't funny is pointless. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtO0diaiZEE
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
The Tick was a good cartoon also, but I don't start talking about its philosophical and social aspects.  It was just funny.  IMO, any cartoon that isn't funny is pointless.

A cartoon, boiled down, is a means of presenting a story that's not 'live-action'.  In the USA there is a strong correlation with 'funny', but you can tell quite serious stories with cartoons.  Heavy metal, for example, is very adult, and while it has it's funny moments, is quite serious a lot of the time.

Regolith

• friend
Heavy metal, for example, is very adult, and while it has it's funny moments, is quite serious a lot of the time.

Well, serious as a film that features a half-naked chick riding a pterodactyl can be, anyway.  :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Firethorn

• friend
Well, serious as a film that features a half-naked chick riding a pterodactyl can be, anyway.  :laugh:

And she was one of the more clothed females in the series.  ;)

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
A cartoon, boiled down, is a means of presenting a story that's not 'live-action'.  In the USA there is a strong correlation with 'funny', but you can tell quite serious stories with cartoons.  Heavy metal, for example, is very adult, and while it has it's funny moments, is quite serious a lot of the time.
Maybe that is preference.  I don't care for cartoons that intrude too much on reality.  They are by definition unreal.  IMO, they don't do reality well.  The temptation to go over the top is too great.  I have similar issues with the way CGI is appied in movies also. 

Maybe I should have said "entertaining" rather than funny, but cartoons are good tools for humor/satire. 

zahc

• friend

Yes, but how does the show depict males? I am not impressed by messages that women are independent and intelligent and strong. In 2015 this is not bold or new or revolutionary. Depicting females as equally capable as males is great; simply depicting females as awesome is just chauvinism.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Maybe that is preference.  I don't care for cartoons that intrude too much on reality.  They are by definition unreal.  IMO, they don't do reality well.  The temptation to go over the top is too great.  I have similar issues with the way CGI is appied in movies also. 

Maybe I should have said "entertaining" rather than funny, but cartoons are good tools for humor/satire. 

Yeah I've about had it with CGI in movies.  It's one thing to bend reality some....but the *expletive deleted*it they do in many movies now thanks to CGI that is beyond real is out of hand.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
Oh, and they actually break gender stereotypes/rules left and right.
Good point.  Breaking gender stereotypes/rules is actually the new stereotype and rule.  It is the norm in entertainment, and often carried way too far as zahc mentions.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
My girlfriend gave me a pony as a gag gift for Valentines Day. It wasn't until I read this article that I learned it is Rainbow Dash. I have never seen the show but she is pretty fabulous.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
My girlfriend gave me a pony as a gag gift for Valentines Day. It wasn't until I read this article that I learned it is Rainbow Dash. I have never seen the show but she is pretty fabulous.

The GF or the pony?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.