Author Topic: Sherlock buys a clue  (Read 1588 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Sherlock buys a clue
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/44335/20150406/men-more-likely-than-women-to-go-back-in-time-and-kill-hitler-moral-judgments-study.htm

Here's a question; if you could go back in time and kill Hitler - likely saving millions of lives - would you do it? Your answer, researchers were surprised to find, might depend on your gender.

Guess who else was not surprised?

Then it goes all rodeo -

The study considered two contrasting philosophical/ethical principles; utilitarianism, which says committing a harmful action is acceptable if it is for the greatest good for the greatest number of people, and deontology, which holds that breaking moral conventions as held by most people, even to secure a favorable future result, is wrong.

Women were more likely to fall into the deontology camp and agonize for a long time over a decision, while men were somewhat more likely to lean toward utilitarianism and make a quick decision, the researchers found.

I will be under my rock while the rest of you discuss this.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Sherlock buys a clue
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.  Or the one.

-Commander Spock

who I suspect would have pulled the trigger on Adolf in an instant and then enjoyed a hearty bowl of plomeek soup.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Here's a question; if you could go back in time and kill Hitler - likely saving millions of lives - would you do it? Your answer, researchers were surprised to find, might depend on your gender.

Guess who else was not surprised?

Unpossible.

The genders are equal. The premise is false.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »
It's still an oversimplification. 

One can have a clear Deontological sense of right and wrong, and then decisively and without hesitation choose to commit an evil act (eg. murder Hitler) for the greater good.  IMHO, the difference between the Deontologist and the Utilitarianist (or Consequentialist) is that the former accepts responsibility for his actions rather than try to excuse them.

(why has my inner voice started singing "Immanuel Kant was a real pissant..."?)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
The question also makes the assumption that if Hitler was killed then there would be no one else to do essentially the same thing.  Japan would still have been looking to dominate their area and war with Japan in some capacity would have probably happened eventually if not still in 1941. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
I wouldn't really consider killing Hitler and evil act.
Some folks just need killin'
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
The question also makes the assumption that if Hitler was killed then there would be no one else to do essentially the same thing.  Japan would still have been looking to dominate their area and war with Japan in some capacity would have probably happened eventually if not still in 1941. 
Probably not exactly the samething.
What would have resulted had the person who replaced Hitler actually been competent?
Or, say, a strategic genius? [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
I know it was just a game, but wasn't that the whole story behind the Red Alert: Command and Conquer games?  Someone invented time travel and killed Hitler.  The world war still happened, but later with better weapons or something like that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 12:17:37 AM »
I know it was just a game, but wasn't that the whole story behind the Red Alert: Command and Conquer games?  Someone invented time travel and killed Hitler.  The world war still happened, but later with better weapons or something like that.
Thus taking one of the greatest franchises of all time into its Golden Era.

Red Alert player since 1996...
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.