Author Topic: This is going to leave several marks  (Read 9965 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
This is going to leave several marks
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
http://www.ambulancedriverfiles.com/2015/04/10/yellow-freight-loses-entire-charterarms-show-inventory/

TL/DR - Yellow Freight has signed receipts for 4+1 crates of Charter Arms stuff for the NRA Annual Meeting.  Box #5 - the one full of all the display guns - has not made it to the display floor.

Charter says Yellow Freight screwed up.  Says they may sue.  Yellow Freight says we have signed receipts.

ATF to be notified.

All sorts of people are/are about to be unhappy.  (Including, I'll bet Charter's legal staff once they check out the signed receipts and verify the handmade sign.)

[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: This is going to leave several marks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »
If it is anything like the signatures UPS does sometimes, they may not be good signatures. 

With the data storage these days, you would think they could take a picture as well as take a signature on those hand held devices they carry.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »
That said, if you are going to steal a crate of guns, you would think they would target one of the other manufacturers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »
If it is anything like the signatures UPS does sometimes, they may not be good signatures. 

Back when, I would often sign "B. de Clown".  Not that that scrawled looked any different from my usual signature.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
That said, if you are going to steal a crate of guns, you would think they would target one of the other manufacturers.
No kidding.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
Interesting. Very interesting. *Puts load auditor and OS&D guy hat*  [tinfoil]

I'm going to assume the story is correct as written. YRC (Yellow/Roadway, they combined a few years back) may or may not be in the clear. There's two LTL freight bills in play here, one for four pieces and one for one piece (the gun crate). The bill for four pieces? Completely irrelevant as it's an entirely different shipment that was received in full.

Problem comes in with the other bill with the gun crate, and very good on Charter for putting their sensitive shipment on it's own bill with it's own Pro number which makes things easier as the one important create is it's own shipment entirely, but may also bite them in the ass. By now I'm sure YRC sent them their copy of the POD for the one pallet. Step one for Charter, or their agent, should have been making sure the signature matches one of their guys and also jives with the date/signature on the other bill that was presumably received on the same trailer. Step 1.5, while they were waiting for YRC to get back to them with that, should have been locating their copy of the POD. YRC bills are carbon copies, YRC gets the top copy back and you keep the bottom carbon copy. Basically checking  for red flags. If there isn't one, YRC actually has a good leg to stand on. Actually a better leg to stand on since the crate in question was it's own shipment with it's own POD that they can point to as being delivered and signed for. ATF might choose to make YRCs life hell, or they might take a look at YRCs signed POD, and barring any red flags tell them to have a nice day and switch their attention to whoever received it for Charter.

That said, YRC would be wise to check bone piles and storage trailers at any terminal it passed though or could have been misdirected to, as well as any consignees it might have been delivered to by mistake(and based on my experience with them, is very likely doing or already finished this). Hell, the guy doing the unloading could have signed for it and left it on the trailer and it ended up back in the terminal and in a bone pile/OS&D storage trailer. Or the next guy in line could have taken an early Christmas gift. Either way, you sign for it you own it unless you can come up with a damn good reason.

TL:DR version of all that, barring any red flags Yellow probably is actually in the clear here if the POD they have back was signed for by someone at the Consignee, particularly if it lines up with the other bill for the four pallets. That said, stuff gets signed for and left on the truck or misloaded onto the wrong trailer all the time, so the YRC OS&D folks are crossing their t's and dotting their i's making sure the pallet isn't floating around in one of their bone piles or storage trailers. Charter and their agent would be wise to do the same on their end.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »
http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/index.php/2015/04/10/charter-arms-guns-for-the-nraam-lost-by-the-shipper/
This site links back to the story above.  More comments though.

I talked to the Charter Reps, and Yellow is apparently giving them a different story every time they call…
This is an interesting comment if true.  I do tend to agree that sometimes you end up with really lazy people at warehouses who make sure the paperwork is good, but could care less about the actual shipment.  I guess that type can show up anywhere.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »
All the more reason for Charter to get their ducks in a row and review their paperwork. If it made it to its destination and the rep for charter signed it they have a carbon copy of what YRC got back.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »
All the more reason for Charter to get their ducks in a row and review their paperwork. If it made it to its destination and the rep for charter signed it they have a carbon copy of what YRC got back.
I was curious if it was Charter that received it or the convention center receiving people.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
More than likely it was consigned to the convention or a receiving agent. It's possible Charter had one of their people in place to receive the stuff at the convention end but I don't think so. Regardless of who exactly it was they should have all proof of deliveries on file and need to be checking them for both PODs. If the paperwork lines up YRC can look for the missing container, and will, but if they don't find it then they're no longer part of the festivities coming along with a missing crate of guns.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
If they don't find it, I think YRC will be part of it regardless unless someone can show proof the actual crate was off loaded where they said it was, not just paperwork. 

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
If you had a pick a crate of magical disappearing guns, it wouldn't be charter.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
If they don't find it, I think YRC will be part of it regardless unless someone can show proof the actual crate was off loaded where they said it was, not just paperwork.  
That's what the paperwork is, that's why it's referred to as a proof of delivery. Truck gets there, you take stuff off, pro number on the freight is matched up to the paper freight bill, and someone at the consignee signs it, and there is a stipulation right there on the line you sign that you're received everything connected to that freight bill unless you specifically note it on the freight bill. That's their legal proof that they delivered the freight, and short of some red flag they are in the clear. Especially when we are talking a shipment for one crate/pallet and the entire thing is missing. Sure, they've got an OS&D department. Because sometimes parts of a shipment go missing or is damaged, and mistakes do happen so it is in their interest to investigate claims. But if they have a clear POD, there are no red flags, and the consignee doesn't have some proof that they didn't receive it ("We can't find it" is not proof) then the carrier is legally in the clear. And they will have a name in they're system, either from the signature if it's legible or they asked the receivers name when the bill was handed back, so it's not simply a matter of "that chicken scratch isn't ours"

Now if there's some red flag that pops up? Or the receiver isn't someone who works for the consignee? Or they don't actually have a signed POD at all? Or the consignee can prove they didn't get the freight? Different story. But YRCs proof of delivery is in order the ATF or anyone else investigating is liable to take one look at the signed POD, verify there's no red flags or funny business, and move on to the entity that signed for the shipment and expect them to answer where a crate of guns went.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
Chances are that there wasn't anyone from Charter signing for the shipments.  It would have been delivered to the Convention Center and those folks would sign for it.

Someone there currently has a real high pucker factor if YRC has a POD.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »
Chances are that there wasn't anyone from Charter signing for the shipments.  It would have been delivered to the Convention Center and those folks would sign for it.

Someone there currently has a real high pucker factor if YRC has a POD.
Be interested to know exactly where/who the shipment was consigned to.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 03:56:43 PM »
Be interested to know exactly where/who the shipment was consigned to.

The article said the crate with the guns was shipped to a remote warehouse. That was probably S.O.P. for the show, and all exhibitors were required to do the same. Their booths and stuff got shipped directly to the convention hall so they could be set up, but I'm sure neither the NRA nor their exhibition producer nor the convention hall wanted a bunch of guns lying around while workers were setting up the booths.

One would hope that a warehouse being used to store a LOT of guns would have had some sort of video survellance.

Stay tuned.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
The article said the crate with the guns was shipped to a remote warehouse. That was probably S.O.P. for the show, and all exhibitors were required to do the same. Their booths and stuff got shipped directly to the convention hall so they could be set up, but I'm sure neither the NRA nor their exhibition producer nor the convention hall wanted a bunch of guns lying around while workers were setting up the booths.

One would hope that a warehouse being used to store a LOT of guns would have had some sort of video survellance.

Stay tuned.
One would hope, and would likewise hope that the system did not have an "unfortunate" blip in its operation. The management should have the same hope, or that the paperwork doesn't back it up as coming there.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »
Has anyone seen any updates on this?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Has anyone seen any updates on this?

No, and apparently Yellow Freight has not, either.

http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/index.php/2015/04/13/you-cannot-make-this-stuff-up-i-have-to-side-with-charter-arms/

Apparently not everybody at Yellow Frieight is aware of the incident and scurrying their backsides off trying to find out what happened (or armorplate their backsides).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 07:35:17 PM »
I searched around a little more and didn't turn anything up.  The only new information since the original post indicates that Yellow Freight may not have all their paperwork lined up as well as they ought to.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
I bet they rent a Uhaul next time.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
Gun Free Zone is the only other thing I've seen on this incident.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
Thank you to all who turned out at the NRA show! Thank you also for your comments of concern. It's is a shame our revolvers were not located in time for the show but the crate has been located and is on its way back to us now.

CA on facebook

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
We've had freight companies falsify PODs on us at work.  Lost deliveries, fake signatures, stuff like that.  

How much weight does a POD really carry in a legal/criminal investigation?

I bet they rent a Uhaul next time.
We did that once.  Critical delivery, didn't trust the freight guys.  I drove the truck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
We did that once.  Critical delivery, didn't trust the freight guys.  I drove the truck.

We do it fairly often.  Especially for stuff in D/FW where one of us might be planning to go soon anyway.  I really don't like having to find a place to park a company truck and gooseneck trailer at a nice date restaurant, but what the heck; 200+ miles worth of fuel on the company's dime instead of mine, (even if it is 4x as much diesel as the gas my car would need) plus I get to leave the office earlier and beat the rush hour traffic.