Author Topic: This is going to leave several marks  (Read 9964 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: This is going to leave several marks
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »
We've had freight companies falsify PODs on us at work.  Lost deliveries, fake signatures, stuff like that. 

How much weight does a POD really carry in a legal/criminal investigation?
We've never had them actually falsify one. I get stacks/emails all the time that they send back to us that they got back without a signature/count/something else out of order.

As to weight, I'm not one of the company lawyers but to my knowledge it's binding. I looked at one yesterday and this is what a YRC bill states on the signature line- "YRC tariffs limit carrier’s liability. All freight received in good order and shrinkwrap/banding intact unless otherwise noted." You've then got lines for printed name, signature, date, and time. We don't sign this line, we stamp it with a subject to later count stamp and sign that with a pallet count, because frankly we're big enough to tell them to FOAD this is how we sign our bills. Even with that one of our unloaders periodically screws up and either signs for a pallet we didn't get, or signs for a pallet and leaves it on an LTL(less than load, IE truck with shipments to multiple folks) by mistake. When it get noticed sometimes they can find it sometimes they can't. We've had plenty of instances of can't and each and every time we've had to pay for it. The last pallet of vitamins was worth more than I make over the span of a few years  :facepalm:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »
Drivers here will forget to bring the paperwork when they deliver.  Or bring the wrong paperwork.  "No problem, I'll fix it when I get back to the depot.  You don't need to sign."

We had a lost shipment where the freight company swore up and down that we received and signed for our crate.  The signature didn't match up to anyone who works here, and it was signed at a date/time when our office was closed.  The freight company signed the POD themselves to dodge responsibility.

The best one was when we paid extra to buy an on-time delivery guarantee for an overseas shipment.  The shipment was late and we tried to collect.  Turns out the guarantee only guarantees the cost of buying the guarantee.  So either the shipment is on time and they keep your fee, or it's late and they return the fee.  No matter what happens they never have to pay out for a late shipment.

Don't get me started on the damage they'll do to our stuff if given half a chance.  Or to our building when backing up the truck.   :facepalm:

My opinion, these guys are all crooks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »
I was thnking that I have seen Fedex and UPS stuff left at my door where the online tracking update says "signed".  It hasn't really been a problem, but if the paperwork is commonly wrong then it isn't worth much.  The problem is proving that it is "commonly wrong" and having something worth sueing over.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »
I am curious what the circumstances were on finding the crate.  Did the shipper have it or did they find it at the warehouse?  

If the shipper had it, I can imagine that Charter could try to hold them liable for lost sales.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
I remember a time that UPS damaged a part my company sent out.  They never returned said part, just a notice that it had been damaged and "trashed."  I filed a claim which was denied based on "insufficient" packaging.  I called my CSR and told them that if the claim didn't get paid ASAP I was going to file a theft claim with the police department since the damaged part hadn't been returned.  Claim was paid less than 24 hours later.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
This story came to mind today.  Anyone hear about any updates for this?  Did they ever find the guns?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
I filed a claim which was denied based on "insufficient" packaging.

I know I've posted it elsewhere, but back when the Pentium chip was brand new and just the chip was over $800, we shipped a complete system to one of our customers.  UPS ran a forklift through the box, both sides of the steel case, motherboard tray and the motherboard, shattering the socket and shearing several pins off the chip.  They tried to claim insufficient packaging.  When our lawyer pointed out that no reasonable packaging would be tougher than the two layers of steel plus the bracing and internal structure they ran through, they paid.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »
This story came to mind today.  Anyone hear about any updates for this?  Did they ever find the guns?

Google is silent since April.

One might have thought Charter would have said something if/when their guns were found.  Or Yellow Freight when they proved it was not their fault.

Bupkis.  Nada.  Dead air.

[tinfoil]:police:[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.