Author Topic: Maybe if they stay in the main drains  (Read 1046 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Maybe if they stay in the main drains
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/biomedical/diagnostics/smart-sewers-will-reveal-whats-in-cambridge-citizens-guts

The team was doing the groundwork for an ambitious project that aims to understand the wellbeing of a city by tracking its residents’ biological and chemical waste. Eventually, with robotic samplers placed below the streets, Cambridge may have a “smart sewer” that will let public health officials study the city’s collective microbiome—the communities of microorganisms that live in humans’ guts.

“The idea is to look at patterns of sewage relative to how we live our daily lives,” says Yaniv Jacob Turgeman, research director of the project. “We want this to be something that has actionable insights that enables public health in a meaningful way.”

The project—dubbed Underworlds ....

Let's start with the name for the project.  Inspires confidence and calm, doesn't it?

That next level will be far more automated. Ratti and his team at the MIT SENSEable City Lab are currently designing manhole-width, foot-tall robots that will be suspended on cables to move up and down in the sewer lines. Using a custom-made smartphone app, the researchers will be able to control the robots remotely to collect samples and feed data into a detailed sewage sampling information system.

From the main lines to the outlet from your home?  Or maybe up the pipe to the outlet for your apartment?  Remember, it's not a  search but SCIENCE!!

Somehow this  [tinfoil] does not seem too outlandish.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Maybe if they stay in the main drains
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:55:38 AM »
I'd be collecting all manner of *expletive deleted*it to flush.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:59:49 AM »
Flush it from a neighbors house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
One family BBQ with a good batch of Texas chili would probably knock the system off-line for a month.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
We're going to force the robots to live in our sewers? What, do we want them to turn on us?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife