Author Topic: Popehat takes UC-San Diego former student senator to the woodshed  (Read 820 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://popehat.com/2015/04/14/fear-and-butthurt-at-uc-san-diego/

“Though modest on a national scale — it’s a proposal by one student, about one student paper — it’s emblematic of a trend in modern college students. It’s the Magna Carta of Me-Me-Me, the Ninty-Five Reasons You Shouldn’t Be Able to Say That. . . . Why is a petty gesture of attempted censorship notable? It’s notable because it reflects a dangerous trend. Never doubt that the existence of Colin King and his ilk threaten not only the mild annoyance of the UC San Diego campus, but our rights. We rely, as a society, on shared values. Those values include the rule of law and freedom of expression. Never doubt how crucial they are. There will always be a few Colin Kings. But a society made up of them is doomed.”

Ken is so much more refined than Larry Coriea when doing this sort of thing.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Popehat takes UC-San Diego former student senator to the woodshed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »
In fact, here's a useful rule of thumb: if you are proposing a law or a rule, and you feel moved to defend it by saying "I believe in free speech, but . . . ." you are probably a censor.
This applies to a lot of issues.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Popehat takes UC-San Diego former student senator to the woodshed
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »
This applies to a lot of issues.

Heh, I laugh because I just said something pretty much the opposite on another forum.  "I disapprove of that message, but because I believe in free speech, I support their right to say it".